The next Franchise super star forward to the NHL?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Exactly it’s not an impressive league anymore. Doesn’t mean Michkov isn’t a great prospect and one of the best in any org but he isn’t some franchise saviour and certainly not Bedard and is much closer to Celebrini or Fantili
The last time Bedard & Michkov played in a real tournament together, Michkov scored 12 goals to Bedard’s 7. Anything else since then is just guesswork.

KHL talent pool is down for skaters but their goalies are suddenly the best in the world. It’s a hard league to score in.

Most the North American washouts like Weal & Spooner performed well in AHL and play more European style games but weren’t physical/defensice enough for bottom 6 work . Do you really think Bedard would be scoring 2+ PPG in the KHL? That’s not how this stuff works, at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm on record saying that he could score 900 career goals. He's an incredibly gifted offensive player. I just don't see him as a generational talent like so many others seem to
I don't understand how someone could score 900 goals but be something less than generational?

The number of players to score 900 goals is exactly 0. Bedard is also a pretty incredible passer, which obviously doesn't convert to a ton of assists right now when old man Nick Foligno is on your wing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I honestly didn’t realize how bad the KHL has gotten until I saw that list. It’s ugly.
I don't see how it's any "uglier" than any other non-NHL league in any point in history (well post Iron Curtain). Of course all the best talent is in the NHL, and the other ones are not NHL or fringe NHL caliber, or else it'd be in the NHL, lol. Looking at top scorers to conclude a non-NHL league is awful is kind of silly, it's a list of big time Junior/AHL scorers that aren't in the NHL for one reason or another.

The SHL is some sort of mecca because the leading scorer is Ty Rattie with a career 0.69 PPG in the AHL (topped out at .811 PPG when he was already 24, which was 57th best PPG in the league with a minimum of 19 games) and who was a whopping 43rd in KHL PPG (min 14 GP) in 2019-20?

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
I honestly didn’t realize how bad the KHL has gotten until I saw that list. It’s ugly. Still, very impressive numbers for Michkov considering how young he is and he’s playing in a mens league.
How is it much worse than the same list from like 5 years ago?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't understand how someone could score 900 goals but be something less than generational?

The number of players to score 900 goals is exactly 0. Bedard is also a pretty incredible passer, which obviously doesn't convert to a ton of assists right now when old man Nick Foligno is on your wing.

I think he could be a generational goal score if everything works out, but not a generational player.

I mean, Matthews could have very well challenged that number had he stayed healthy and covid didn't happen, and I don't think very many would consider him generational. I don't consider Ovechkin generational either, because he wasn't the best player of his generation.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The last time Bedard & Michkov played in a real tournament together, Michkov scored 12 goals to Bedard’s 7. Anything else since then is just guesswork.

Sure that's fair but we don't look at prospects that way and while I think Michov is extremely talented his star hasn't glowed quite as bright the last couple of seasons.

Prospects also don't all develop at the same rate.

Part of that might be due to issues out of his control but there is still a bit of an unknown how his game will translate.

Not skill wise but we have all seen extremely skilled players that simply don't end up making it and for better or worse there does seem to be a Russian factor at play in the NHL.

Before people pile on I'm just stating an observation here and mindset of NHL establishment much like size issues, it's a thing.
KHL talent pool is down for skaters but their goalies are suddenly the best in the world. It’s a hard league to score in.

Most the North American washouts like Weal & Spooner performed well in AHL and play more European style games but weren’t physical/defensice enough for bottom 6 work . Do you really think Bedard would be scoring 2+ PPG in the KHL? That’s not how this stuff works, at all.
No it's not how it works but there is an unknown factor there much less so in terms of quality of league play in the CHL.

And I shouldn't have to say it but the NHL is king of the hill and the jump is larger than some people acknowledge at times.

Reactions: WPGDEVILS

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Sure that's fair but we don't look at prospects that way and while I think Michov is extremely talented his star hasn't glowed quite as bright the last couple of seasons.

Part of that might be due to issues out of his control but there is still a bit of an unknown how his game will translate.

Not skill wise but we have all seen extremely skilled players that simply don't end up making it and for better or worse there does seem to be a Russian factor at play in the NHL.

Before people pile on I'm just stating an observation here and mindset of NHL establishment much like size issues, it's a thing.

No it's not how it works but there is an unknown factor there much less so in terms of quality of league play in the CHL.

And I shouldn't have to say it but the NHL is king of the hill and the jump is larger than some people acknowledge at times.
Thank you, I don’t understand how they are really comparable now they have the same ppg but play in two drastically different leagues talent wise.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
37 points in 43 games in the KHL when the quality of the KHL has never been worse and they don't even want him on the A team? Bedard has 34 in 40 in the NHL. same pace different league and different tiers of prospects
In which Michkov has battled pneumonia for most of the season. "Quality of KHL never been worse" is pretty funny, too.

I'm not a downer at all, I'm on record saying that he could score 900 career goals. He's an incredibly gifted offensive player. I just don't see him as a generational talent like so many others seem to, which some people seem to think is outrageous. But nothing about his performance to date has suggested he's generational, and he really hasn't been the best rookie IMO.

Heck, I predicted 36g 78p for him this year and he's well off that pace. If anything, I may have been overly optimistic.
I predicted he may be a wing long term because of his size/frame and I had friends basically declare war on me. Crazy. Looking pretty astute by how horrible he's been defensively and his horrid Faceoff %

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Crosby dished tons of assists to bunch of no-name players

Solely because Russia hasn't been allowed to participate in international tournaments. There's literally no other reason. That's how people get all hot and moist about prospects - their one time they actually watch them during a WJC.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Solely because Russia hasn't been allowed to participate in international tournaments. There's literally no other reason. That's how people get all hot and moist about prospects - their one time they actually watch them during a WJC.
46 % of his points were on the powerplay that year.

Pens were 19/30 in goals that year, Hawks are 32/32, if you watched any games while Bedard was out, it wasn't pretty lol. 21 goals in 14 games, which is honestly hard to do.

Reactions: WPGDEVILS

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

We also don't know because they are what 8 months apart in age, that means one thing when they are 16 another when they are 18.

They also had completely different roles going into the tournament but Bedard grew into his and it was a short tournament.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Whole lotta nothing here ^^^^

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Whole lotta nothing here ^^^^
Sure that's why he went second overall last year.......... and not 7th right?

But I guess you glossed over the part where I said not skill wise as he was closer to Bedard at worst than the 3rd best guy in an extremely top heavy draft.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018

Man it’s obvious you have a thing for michkov and a hate for Bedard, so I guess we will have to see who’s better in the future when ever michkov stops playing against career ahl and one and done in the NHL players. Till then Bedard is gonna be carrying an NHL franchise and being one of the faces of the biggest and most competitive hockey league in the world, maybe they both get ppg next year and we can talk about how equal they still are

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sure that's why he went second overall last year.......... and not 7th right?

But I guess you glossed over the part where I said not skill wise as he was closer to Bedard at worst than the 3rd best guy in an extremely top heavy draft.
You stated nothing of substance in the 4 paragraph response. I pointed out that the last time they played the same competition Michkov nearly doubled Bedard in goal-scoring and you decided to go with “something is off” and “his star hasn’t glowed quite as bright” as the more keen analysis.

I’ve never seen anyone here state that Michkov is better. It’s just annoying that a bunch of morons come in and look at KHL scoring leaders and cling to the fact that former marginal NHLers are among the leaders. Most recently it’s @WPGDEVILS .

Michkov is on a historic pace on a crap team without much help. If people can’t look past the NA players, consider he is outproducing every good Russian player currently in the NHL. It’s not that hard.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
You stated nothing of substance in the 4 paragraph response. I pointed out that the last time they played the same competition Michkov nearly doubled Bedard in goal-scoring and you decided to go with “something is off” and “his star hasn’t glowed quite as bright” as the more keen analysis.

I’ve never seen anyone here state that Michkov is better. It’s just annoying that a bunch of morons come in and look at KHL scoring leaders and cling to the fact that former marginal NHLers are among the leaders. Most recently it’s @WPGDEVILS .

Michkov is on a historic pace on a crap team without much help. If people can’t look past the NA players, consider he is outproducing every good Russian player currently in the NHL. It’s not that hard.
You’re right bunch of morons who don’t know anything. It’s funny I obviously think michkov is a great talent and one of the best prospects but I’m sorry that the vast majority of people don’t believe he is on the same level as Bedard who is also on a terrible team with no help who is producing the same in a league that is multiple times better. You also bring up the fact that he plays on a terrible but one of the best teams in the league didn’t even want him to play for them and loaned him out. Granted I don’t know too much about the loan situation but it’s just interesting and not a good look for him.

He will be a very interesting prospect to watch transition to the NHL eventually but you are getting less years from him if comes into the NHL and is ppg off the start then he is basically replicating Bedards rookie year 3 years older.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
McDavid

Bedard?
McKenna?
????

I'm putting out a new name here, most hockey fans havent probably heard of
i think he is a legit future goal scoring franchise forward in the making,

His name is Daniel Makovetskiy, he is a 2029 NHL Draft eligible player
currently playing in the CSSHL U15 V
- now, ive followed his season from the get go, but only his stats, (39+30 | 2.65 ppg)
i made this thread after i watched several highlight video clips of him
damn... HE IS GOOD! skating, shooting, strength*

He is from Renton, Washington
currently he is listed at 5 foot 4 (150) or 5 foot 5 (155), depending a site
- sure, small kid, but he is very young

* as much as that young can have/be, but still, also the level of hockey he faces,
again but still..

heres few youtube videos

sure, i might be wrong and all, time will tell
lets see your names/forwards who you think could be the next

Probably not cool to do, to the poor kid.

The leagues come a long way but it’s still nowhere near like playing in the major AAA leagues, against the best kids in North America.

Rocco Grimaldi is probably your best comparison size wise at that age, and Rocco was playing against the best kids in North America every game. Including playing Midget Minor for Caesars a year early.

Let’s wait and see if he’s ever even drafted in the WHL. Good bet he’s certainly never drafted in the NHL. Something Rocco was still able to do..

Grimaldi was probably the best 93’ on the planet. For a good amount of years too. Problem was, he was 5’4” too, and never grew. Kid was sitting in the locker room coloring at 8, while kids 2-3 years older, very good AAA type players who’ve played in the NHL btw, we’re causing mayhem. That’s how good Rocco was at 8-15, and nobody ever confused him with the type of names you just mentioned.

Let’s let this kid grow first, and see what happens at 16, when other kids start catching up, skill wise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You’re right bunch of morons who don’t know anything. It’s funny I obviously think michkov is a great talent and one of the best prospects but I’m sorry that the vast majority of people don’t believe he is on the same level as Bedard who is also on a terrible team with no help who is producing the same in a league that is multiple times better. You also bring up the fact that he plays on a terrible but one of the best teams in the league didn’t even want him to play for them and loaned him out. Granted I don’t know too much about the loan situation but it’s just interesting and not a good look for him.

He will be a very interesting prospect to watch transition to the NHL eventually but you are getting less years from him if comes into the NHL and is ppg off the start then he is basically replicating Bedards rookie year 3 years older.
You keep saying that the vast majority of people agree with you.

Where is your proof?

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
You keep saying that the vast majority of people agree with you.

Where is your proof?
NHL gms who all skipped over him, nobody I’ve spoken to, media or anyone else really except a few people on hf who believes that they are on the same level. Please find me a majority of people who think he is other than the flyer fanbase and Russian media.

I am a big fan of Michkov but since watching Bedard play he has made me buy into the hype when I was skeptical in believing the hype first. You can believe what ever you want I don’t care but you can watch Bedard play in the best league in the world and the entire defence focuses on him. Like I said I understand Michkov is having a great year but it’s truly not comparable to what Bedard is doing.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
46 % of his points were on the powerplay that year.

Pens were 19/30 in goals that year, Hawks are 32/32, if you watched any games while Bedard was out, it wasn't pretty lol. 21 goals in 14 games, which is honestly hard to do.
So Crosby raises the play of his teammates better, and bedard is just a shooter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NHL gms who all skipped over him, nobody I’ve spoken to, media or anyone else really except a few people on hf who believes that they are on the same level. Please find me a majority of people who think he is other than the flyer fanbase and Russian media.

I am a big fan of Michkov but since watching Bedard play he has made me buy into the hype when I was skeptical in believing the hype first. You can believe what ever you want I don’t care but you can watch Bedard play in the best league in the world and the entire defence focuses on him. Like I said I understand Michkov is having a great year but it’s truly not comparable to what Bedard is doing.
You are not a big fan of Michkov. No one who is a big fan of Michkov makes the comments you do.

By the way, you also seem pretty ignorant for such a big Michkov fan over the fact that he reportedly told some teams not to pick him because he wasn't going to play for them.

Reactions: Devonator

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

you have an amateurish understanding of this situation and the Russian development model in general. Yurov barely played last year at all and now he’s almost PPG - just one example of them doing things different in Russia.

Also, Michkov told Columbus and Arizona and possibly Montreal that he didn’t want to play for them. He wanted to land in Philly.

Please find me the posters who say he is better than Bedard. Nobody is saying that. Most people just want to acknowledge he is the best prospect not currently in the NHL or close to it. He’s also extremely unique and plays a fun style that we’ve never seen before. Let us be excited.

Reactions: Devonator

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I guess I missed the part where Samsonov had set junior scoring records since childhood and demolished the international tournaments he played in.
It's like comparing Bedard to Connor McMichael :thumbu:
Michkov is bigger than Bedard btw, we saw it at the draft.
LOL, you really missed that part, because Samsonov was a prodigy, who crushed records, he scored 40 pts in 54 games in RSL in his D-1 season. Yes, D-1, not a typo.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad