The next Franchise super star forward to the NHL?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I still think Michkov will be lucky to be as impactful as Sergie Samsanov, not a terrible player, but not the second coming people expect.
I guess I missed the part where Samsonov had set junior scoring records since childhood and demolished the international tournaments he played in.
It's like comparing Bedard to Connor McMichael :thumbu:
Michkov is bigger than Bedard btw, we saw it at the draft.

Reactions: Devonator

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
A lot of people clearly have not watched Michkov play. He is the next superstar that isn't currently playing in the NHL, and I don't think its close....aka....its closer to Bedard, then it is the next Tier down for prospects. Kid is a gamer, and a game changer on the ice. Maybe the KHL isn't what it used to be, but he is still putting up record numbers for D+1, on a really really bad hockey team. Put this kid around skill....and he will immediately make everyone else better around him. He is also the guy you want with the puck when the game is on the line.

Reactions: Devonator

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Slafkovsky

.. oh wait , he's already in the NHL

:sarcasm:

I guess I missed the part where Samsonov had set junior scoring records since childhood and demolished the international tournaments he played in.
It's like comparing Bedard to Connor McMichael :thumbu:
Michkov is bigger than Bedard btw, we saw it at the draft.
You must have genuinely missed it then, because for 2-3 years before the 97' draft it was considered the "Samsonov draft" and he was supposed to be the next big Russian superstar in line with Bure. He slipped a little in his draft year despite still being amazing, but there was concerns about size

After his first couple years it actually looked like he could be that player too, by 21-22 he was a 75 pt player in the DPE which is like 90 pts today, and many thought he would be the better between him and Thornton. Then he got hurt and was never the same again. If michkov could be like a peak Samsonov but hold that level of play longer, he would be a superstar.

Here is a clip on HNIC talking about Samsonov from 1994, 3 years before he was eligible for the draft.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He doesn't have the highest scoring U19 season either by raw points or PPG. What he does have is the highest PPG amongst DY players (but also 10-20 fewer games than the ones above him in raw points).

The record he does hold is the highest scoring DY+1 season. As for U20 season, he's on pace to fall just short of Kaprizov.

Note: this isn't taking into account KHL's predecessor (so it's only counting back to the 2008-09 season), which would push him further down everything.
Sorry, I was talking about U20.

Also, I am counting his season as the best U20 because the one game you are counting him for to fall short of Kaprizov is bogus. It was when he was with SKA. He played like 6 minutes that game.

I am only counting his time with Sochi. Players shouldn't have stats used against them from a former team that barely used them. His stint with Sochi is the best U20 season ever, ahead of Kaprizov.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Carlsson from the ducks.. I was kind of pissed Ducks picked ahead of Fantilli. But I understand why they did..

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What?

So Michkov is worse at hockey because of his contract status?

I think he means that Bedard is producing at about the same level as Michkov, but doing it in a substantially superior league.

Personally,I think he’s one of the 2 or 3 best prospects not in the nhl, which is what that guy was trying to say, I think.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Except, he's not. Michov is 13th in the KHL in scoring. Bedard is 68th in the NHL.

Do you have a link to that? Hockey database has Michkov around 40th with 37pts in 43 games, which is similar to Bedard’s 34 in 40.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Edit:

Found this link and it has him at 47th

Last edited:
Reactions: MD93

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Sorry, I was talking about U20.

Also, I am counting his season as the best U20 because the one game you are counting him for to fall short of Kaprizov is bogus. It was when he was with SKA. He played like 6 minutes that game.

I am only counting his time with Sochi. Players shouldn't have stats used against them from a former team that barely used them. His stint with Sochi is the best U20 season ever, ahead of Kaprizov.
No, sorry, that's just silly. You can apply the same to A LOT of U20 players' games, heck, even players of all ages! Kaprizov himself had a game where he played even less than Michkov, so we'll throw that one out, too. Wow, Kaprizov, eh?

Reactions: Garl and MD93

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Slafkovsky

.. oh wait , he's already in the NHL

:sarcasm:

You must have genuinely missed it then, because for 2-3 years before the 97' draft it was considered the "Samsonov draft" and he was supposed to be the next big Russian superstar in line with Bure. He slipped a little in his draft year despite still being amazing, but there was concerns about size

After his first couple years it actually looked like he could be that player too, by 21-22 he was a 75 pt player in the DPE which is like 90 pts today, and many thought he would be the better between him and Thornton. Then he got hurt and was never the same again. If michkov could be like a peak Samsonov but hold that level of play longer, he would be a superstar.

Here is a clip on HNIC talking about Samsonov from 1994, 3 years before he was eligible for the draft.

Nice video , thanks for sharing

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you have a link to that? Hockey database has Michkov around 40th with 37pts in 43 games, which is similar to Bedard’s 34 in 40.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Edit:

Found this link and it has him at 47th

I'm talking about points per game. What's the point in calculating totals points?

This is a better link, but you still have to filter out the SKA game.

• Haha
Reactions: MD93

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If he is so good, why didn't he dominate KHL this season. A guy like Pettersson, who is not a Bedard level talent destroyed SHL in his D+1 season
The SHL pays sub-AHL salaries. It is a much weaker league.

People knew the Blackhawks would be terrible this year, and still made those predictions.

Heck, I had him at 78 points and I was one of the more conservative posters.
They are actually down 3 "top six" (by default) Forwards. Hall was expected to play on Bedard's line all season and he only appeared in 10 games.

Reactions: WPGDEVILS

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
37 points in 43 games in the KHL when the quality of the KHL has never been worse and they don't even want him on the A team? Bedard has 34 in 40 in the NHL. same pace different league and different tiers of prospects

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Bedard has been less productive than a lot of people expected. There was a large proportion of posters who were expecting 80-100+ points.
The offense support in Chicago is the huge problem had he been drafted by any other team winning the lottery he would be trending closer to the PPG range assuming no injury.

I respect you as a poster but you've been a downer on Bedard for a long time and I can't figure out why.

But I guess everyone has their guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
37 points in 42 games for Sochi.

You can’t play a guy a few minutes as a 13F, and count that towards a players stats.

37 points in 43 games in the KHL when the quality of the KHL has never been worse and they don't even want him on the A team? Bedard has 34 in 40 in the NHL. same pace different league and different tiers of prospects
Why don’t you address where they stand in their respective leagues in scoring? 13th vs. 68th.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm talking about points per game. What's the point in calculating totals points?

This is a better link, but you still have to filter out the SKA game.

Now compare the names ahead of Bedard vs the names ahead of Michkov

Reactions: MD93 and WPGDEVILS

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
He is playing good for Sochi but this is the KHL it’s barely the second best league and wouldn’t be surprised with if the SHL overtakes, this ain’t ovi when he was playing in the khl. He has less ppg and points then fringe NHL and and career AHL players is that supposed to be more impressive then what Bedard is doing in the NHL? He’s a great prospect that any team would love to have but he ain’t no Bedard
37 points in 42 games for Sochi.

You can’t play a guy a few minutes as a 13F, and count that towards a players stats.

Why don’t you address where they stand in their respective leagues in scoring? 13th vs. 68th.

Now compare the names ahead of Bedard vs the names ahead of Michkov
What you mean like the greats Jordan Weal and Ryan Spooner?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The offense support in Chicago is the huge problem had he been drafted by any other team winning the lottery he would be trending closer to the PPG range assuming no injury.

I respect you as a poster but you've been a downer on Bedard for a long time and I can't figure out why.

But I guess everyone has their guys.
I'm not a downer at all, I'm on record saying that he could score 900 career goals. He's an incredibly gifted offensive player. I just don't see him as a generational talent like so many others seem to, which some people seem to think is outrageous. But nothing about his performance to date has suggested he's generational, and he really hasn't been the best rookie IMO.

Heck, I predicted 36g 78p for him this year and he's well off that pace. If anything, I may have been overly optimistic.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
He is playing good for Sochi but this is the KHL it’s barely the second best league and wouldn’t be surprised with if the SHL overtakes, this ain’t ovi when he was playing in the khl. He has less ppg and points then fringe NHL and and career AHL players is that supposed to be more impressive then what Bedard is doing in the NHL? He’s a great prospect that any team would love to have but he ain’t no Bedard

What you mean like the greats Jordan Weal and Ryan Spooner?

I honestly didn’t realize how bad the KHL has gotten until I saw that list. It’s ugly. Still, very impressive numbers for Michkov considering how young he is and he’s playing in a mens league.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
I honestly didn’t realize how bad the KHL has gotten until I saw that list. It’s ugly. Still, very impressive numbers for Michkov considering how young he is and he’s playing in a mens league.
Exactly it’s not an impressive league anymore. Doesn’t mean Michkov isn’t a great prospect and one of the best in any org but he isn’t some franchise saviour and certainly not Bedard and is much closer to Celebrini or Fantili

• Haha

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Celebrini is playing against a bunch of bums also. So what?

Does every great hockey player start their first game of hockey in their life in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad