GDT: The Next Critical Game|Jackets @ Oilers|3-21-19|9:00 p.m.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is wearing me out, going through this down the stretch every season. This year it's worse, 1) because I feel or I'd hope the team would be progressing to the point where it would be in a more solid spot by now; 2) because of the all-in; and 3) because the team is actually in a worse position than the past couple seasons.

I was at the game a few seasons ago where we needed to win and have somebody lose and we stayed after the game (which we won) to watch the end of the other game on the jumbotron and it didn't go our way. So no this isn't new but see #1 above.

Anyway, my point being I'm not so sure Vancouver is any less critical even if the guys get the W tonight.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
This is wearing me out, going through this down the stretch every season. This year it's worse, 1) because I feel or I'd hope the team would be progressing to the point where it would be in a more solid spot by now; 2) because of the all-in; and 3) because the team is actually in a worse position than the past couple seasons.

I was at the game a few seasons ago where we needed to win and have somebody lose and we stayed after the game (which we won) to watch the end of the other game on the jumbotron and it didn't go our way. So no this isn't new but see #1 above.

Anyway, my point being I'm not so sure Vancouver is any less critical even if the guys get the W tonight.
If I recall correctly, the Jackets beat Nashville, but Minnesota beat Colorado, so the CBJ didn't go to the playoffs. Maybe around 2013?

Reactions: Viqsi

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Ha, I was at that game as well.......seem to remember it involving maybe Nashville and/or Minnesota?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

I’m pretty stressed out about this as well, to the point where I think I’ll just be glad when it’s over, which I’ve never felt. Since the beginning, there have been some tough seasons, but for many reasons, this has been one of the most stressful.

I want the team to make the playoffs and play to it’s potential. I’m just really not convinced that they’ll be able to turn it around in time to get a worthwhile matchup (IE not Tampa) and be playing well enough to put up a fight. I have a very specific opinion on why I think they’re not playing well, but at this point I’m just going to ride it out and let the chips fall where they may. I trust Jarmo to do the right things for the franchise long term, not as much so Torts, but we’ll see what happens with him.

At least, beyond losing Panarin and Bob and looking at a first round sweep by Tampa, there’s some exciting prospects on the horizon like Elvis, Tex, and Bemstrom.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m pretty stressed out about this as well, to the point where I think I’ll just be glad when it’s over, which I’ve never felt. Since the beginning, there have been some tough seasons, but for many reasons, this has been one of the most stressful.

I want the team to make the playoffs and play to it’s potential. I’m just really not convinced that they’ll be able to turn it around in time to get a worthwhile matchup (IE not Tampa) and be playing well enough to put up a fight. I have a very specific opinion on why I think they’re not playing well, but at this point I’m just going to ride it out and let the chips fall where they may. I trust Jarmo to do the right things for the franchise long term, not as much so Torts, but we’ll see what happens with him.

At least, beyond losing Panarin and Bob and looking at a first round sweep by Tampa, there’s some exciting prospects on the horizon like Elvis, Tex, and Bemstrom.

I had a buddy ask if I'd rather them make the playoffs and face an embarrassing first-round exit at the hands of the Bolts or miss the playoffs. I said make. That it's even a question, though...

Last edited:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
2wl3g1.jpg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Assuming Torts doesn't run his top horses in the ground (e.g. Cam, Bread 23+minutes, Jones 27+), I'm thinking a 4-2 non-empty net CBJ win.

InfiniteElement

Jan 4, 2019
I typically sit through every game, but that last Edmonton game I had to walk away from. Hoping for opposite feels tonight.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
CBJ have only won 8 of their 28 games total in Edmonton. We only do worse against 5 other teams on the road historically: Pitt, TB, SJ, Nashville, St. Louis.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Everyone ready for a good day? CBJ just finished their tough stretch of 7 games versus Boston (x2), Calgary, Pens(x2), Canes and Isles. They went 3-3-1 (.500) against teams above them in the standings and didn’t look out of place against any of them. Outside of TB, what teams are getting 8 or more points on that stretch?

It’s now Montréal and Carolina’s turns to beat the teams above them. Seven of Habs last 9 games are versus teams above them. They have only beaten 2 playoff teams since All Star Break. Seven of Canes last 10 games are versus teams in playoff chase.

Jackets should at least gain on Pens and Canes tonight, plus either gain on islanders or extend lead on Habs.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Everyone ready for a good day? CBJ just finished their tough stretch of 7 games versus Boston (x2), Calgary, Pens(x2), Canes and Isles. They went 3-3-1 (.500) against teams above them in the standings and didn’t look out of place against any of them. Outside of TB, what teams are getting 8 or more points on that stretch?

It’s now Montréal and Carolina’s turns to beat the teams above them. Seven of Habs last 9 games are versus teams above them. They have only beaten 2 playoff teams since All Star Break. Seven of Canes last 10 games are versus teams in playoff chase.

Jackets should at least gain on Pens and Canes tonight, plus either gain on islanders or extend lead on Habs.

I still think Montreal finishes 7-2. Most of their hard games occur in the final week when teams will already have playoff spots and seeding locked up, so they’ll be resting any injured players. Plus, Carey price.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I still think Montreal finishes 7-2. Most of their hard games occur in the final week when teams will already have playoff spots and seeding locked up, so they’ll be resting any injured players. Plus, Carey price.

Lol. I’m sure you do. Jackets are going winless and everyone else undefeated. Habs won’t win 5. Guaranteed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lol. I’m sure you do. Jackets are going winless and everyone else undefeated. Habs won’t win 5. Guaranteed.

Yes, take my opinion and go to the absolute extreme. No, I said the jackets win 5 and finish with 94 points. Montreal finishes with 97, and Carolina 99. I don’t think that’s far fetched at all, you just don’t like to hear it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For me it has more to do with the extreme high of Going All-In immediately followed by the extreme low two weeks of Hopeless Inexplicable Doom. It's exhausting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad