OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
FWIW- here in CT there has been a spike in COVID cases. My sister works in a hospital (supervisor of sterile processing & decontamination) and she says the people who are getting it now are not getting sick enough to require hospitalization- she says that number is flat if not declining. So maybe some good news for a change. :dunno:

She's been blessed not to have caught it as her department is responsible for all PPE care. In fact no one in her department has tested positive. :phew:

This would tally with what's being seen in Europe at the moment. A lot of countries there are experiencing a pretty big second wave of virus cases but in most of them the death rates are only showing a very small corresponding increase, nothing like the first time around.

No-one seems to know exactly why this is the case yet - could be that the virus is mutating into milder strains, could be that at least some people have developed some form of immunity to it or ability to fight the virus better, could be that the virus is for the most part not being transmitted to the elderly and most vulnerable, or it could be, horrible as it is to say, that the first wave has already done its deadly work in the most vulnerable and that most of the remaining population is more resistant.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a cause for optimism yet, but it's an interesting development and one that we'll need to watch closely. There may just be a lag and deaths will start to seriously rise again at some point, but maybe, hopefully, not.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd really hope they wouldn't catch it given she works in a hospital and are presumably taking all the recommended precautions. If anything, I think it's a sign that PPE and distancing are effective tools to combat this, despite what some other folks believe. If she's around it all day, but hasn't come down sick, that gives me a lot of hope. The cold and flu season will assuredly result in some issues, but it would be great if we could all start putting this pandemic in the rear view mirror.

Hospitals are germ factories. As long as the supervising staff enforces the rules w/r/t to PPE no employee should get the virus. However at one hospital this was not the case and its entire ICU had to be locked down & now the finger pointing has begun between one of the unions and the hospital administration. Thankfully my sister no longer works there, she got this from one of her former colleagues.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This would tally with what's being seen in Europe at the moment. A lot of countries there are experiencing a pretty big second wave of virus cases but in most of them the death rates are only showing a very small corresponding increase, nothing like the first time around.

No-one seems to know exactly why this is the case yet - could be that the virus is mutating into milder strains, could be that at least some people have developed some form of immunity to it or ability to fight the virus better, could be that the virus is for the most part not being transmitted to the elderly and most vulnerable, or it could be, horrible as it is to say, that the first wave has already done its deadly work in the most vulnerable and that most of the remaining population is more resistant.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a cause for optimism yet, but it's an interesting development and one that we'll need to watch closely. There may just be a lag and deaths will start to seriously rise again at some point, but maybe, hopefully, not.

I think ER's now have a better idea of what treatments work.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think a saw somebody mention Cobra Kai on here a couple weeks ago. Man, I dont know why I didnt watch this sooner. I watched the whole first season when I was home with my daughter on Monday. Great first season. Great soundtrack. Gonna blow out 2nd season tomorrow while my 7 year old is stuck on the chromebook all day.

it’s so freaking good. I’m on s2 e5 now. So far i much preferred s1, but that’s not to say the second season is bad by any means. Season1 was just so much fun to watch

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017

Personally I think it's because the virus is not being transmitted to the elderly and vulnerable nearly as much as first time around. Nursing and care homes were particularly exposed first time around, that's not the case now, most of those places are on complete lockdown. Even elderly or vulnerable people out and about amongst the general population now know what precautions to take.

We are well and truly on our way to a second surge here in Ireland, back to getting a couple of hundred new cases a day compared to the less than 10 we were consistently getting back in July. Very few deaths this time around though. Usually 1 or 2, often zero.
Dublin city was put on lockdown last week for a provisional period of three weeks. Given how small a country we are, it won't be long before the rest of us have our turn too.

This now poses the question are the effects of the lockdowns starting to outweigh the effects of the virus? I know some people will be angry at even asking that question but it is far too easy to automatically say no imo and I know there is evidence of prolonged respiratory damage and that the long term effects of this virus on younger people is still largely unknown but I do fear that the effects of lockdowns and the impact it is going to have on people's mental health, education, finances etc.. is being pushed to the side.

I believe restrictions are necessary but the long term effects of Covid on healthy people are at this point largely speculative, I just hope governments aren't overlooking the known effects these lockdowns are going to have on people's mental health and livelihoods for many many years to come.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Personally I think it's because the virus is not being transmitted to the elderly and vulnerable nearly as much as first time around. Nursing and care homes were particularly exposed first time around, that's not the case now, most of those places are on complete lockdown. Even elderly or vulnerable people out and about amongst the general population now know what precautions to take.

We are well and truly on our way to a second surge here in Ireland, back to getting a couple of hundred new cases a day compared to the less than 10 we were consistently getting back in July. Very few deaths this time around though. Usually 1 or 2, often zero.
Dublin city was put on lockdown last week for a provisional period of three weeks. Given how small a country we are, it won't be long before the rest of us have our turn too.

This now poses the question are the effects of the lockdowns starting to outweigh the effects of the virus? I know some people will be angry at even asking that question but it is far too easy to automatically say no imo and I know there is evidence of prolonged respiratory damage and that the long term effects of this virus on younger people is still largely unknown but I do fear that the effects of lockdowns and the impact it is going to have on people's mental health, education, finances etc.. is being pushed to the side.

I believe restrictions are necessary but the long term effects of Covid on healthy people are at this point largely speculative, I just hope governments aren't overlooking the known effects these lockdowns are going to have on people's mental health and livelihoods for many many years to come.

I honestly believe that most of the problems we see today originated in the EU and not China. The EU was very slow to react to the outbreak in Milan most likely because they were preoccupied with Brexit. When things spiked in NYC it was in areas near JFK Airport.

I do believe ER's now have a better sense of how to treat people with advanced symptoms.

The mental toll is impossible to calculate.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I honestly believe that most of the problems we see today originated in the EU and not China. The EU was very slow to react to the outbreak in Milan most likely because they were preoccupied with Brexit. When things spiked in NYC it was in areas near JFK Airport.

I do believe ER's now have a better sense of how to treat people with advanced symptoms.

The mental toll is impossible to calculate.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with most of that Fenway. The make up of the EU means that any imposing of restrictions is entirely up to each individual country. Brexit and the EU would have had zero impact on the Italian governments response to Covid. That is in no way a criticism of Italy, it was very early days and nobody knew what exactly we were dealing with. The EU is not dictating how each EU member state responds to Covid. Ireland's restrictions for example are decided by the Irish government and the Irish Government alone, same for France, Germany etc.. To try and blame the EU is a bit of a cop out tbh.

Brexit might have been an issue in Britain's response to Covid but that's about it.

Yes Covid spread rapidly across Europe before making its way to the US and yes those initial outbreaks in NYC most likely came in from European planes but that's just geography. That was just the nature of the spread. The US could have stopped flights in to JFK just like Italy could have but ignorance and lack of knowledge by EVERY country in those early weeks and months dictated that this virus was spreading no matter what.

Finally on mental health. While it might be impossible to know the full extent of its toll there is data and knowledge there on what effects loosing ones job has on a person, or being isolated for prolonged periods of time, or the break down of a relationship, or what effect poor education has on young people and so on. These are not unknowns so I hope governments are putting contingencies and support plans in place to deal with the fall out from these lockdowns because to not would almost be as ignorant as the world's initial response to Covid.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'd have to respectfully disagree with most of that Fenway. The make up of the EU means that any imposing of restrictions is entirely up to each individual country. Brexit and the EU would have had zero impact on the Italian governments response to Covid. That is in no way a criticism of Italy, it was very early days and nobody knew what exactly we were dealing with. The EU is not dictating how each EU member state responds to Covid. Ireland's restrictions for example are decided by the Irish government and the Irish Government alone, same for France, Germany etc.. To try and blame the EU is a bit of a cop out tbh.

Brexit might have been an issue in Britain's response to Covid but that's about it.

Yes Covid spread rapidly across Europe before making its way to the US and yes those initial outbreaks in NYC most likely came in from European planes but that's just geography. That was just the nature of the spread. The US could have stopped flights in to JFK just like Italy could have but ignorance and lack of knowledge by EVERY country in those early weeks and months dictated that this virus was spreading no matter what.

Finally on mental health. While it might be impossible to know the full extent of its toll there is data and knowledge there on what effects loosing ones job has on a person, or being isolated for prolonged periods of time, or the break down of a relationship, or what effect poor education has on young people and so on. These are not unknowns so I hope governments are putting contingencies and support plans in place to deal with the fall out from these lockdowns because to not would almost be as ignorant as the world's initial response to Covid.

Fair enough - But I was under the impression that the EU could have suspended travel in an out of Italy at least by air.

Since the initial surge in NYC, the US media has ignored COVID stories elsewhere across the planet.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Fair enough - But I was under the impression that the EU could have suspended travel in an out of Italy at least by air.

Since the initial surge in NYC, the US media has ignored COVID stories elsewhere across the planet.

There is an EU airspace organisation and agreement but that is more to do with regulation of charges on flights between EU countries and so on. Each EU country has its own aviation authority and its own right to block/allow whatever flights in/out it wants.

The EU is a confusing mess at the best of times but I suppose the important thing to remember is that each country is still its own sovereign state just with certain agreed upon rules and regulations put in place amongst them, most which mainly revolve around trade.

I've given up on news media. It is so difficult now to find unbiased, agenda neutral news that sometimes I just don't know what to believe anymore. :help:

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There is an EU airspace organisation and agreement but that is more to do with regulation of charges on flights between EU countries and so on. Each EU country has its own aviation authority and its own right to block/allow whatever flights in/out it wants.

The EU is a confusing mess at the best of times but I suppose the important thing to remember is that each country is still its own sovereign state just with certain agreed upon rules and regulations put in place amongst them, most which mainly revolve around trade.

I've given up on news media. It is so difficult now to find unbiased, agenda neutral news that sometimes I just don't know what to believe anymore. :help:

With respect to the media what I do is check a few sites I know are biased in one direction and then check a few sites I know are biased in the other direction. It is time consuming but the only way I know to get most of the facts about any given situation. Like you I really wish there were some trustworthy neutral news sites. Alas... :help: :pullhair:

Reactions: Mr Irish

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I asked my work about this 2 weeks ago and they said theu dont have thia because we have over 500 employees.
Did they change this in the past 2 weeks??

As soon as an HR friend of mine mentioned this to me, that same week my employer sent out a big mass email to everyone saying we weren't eligible. It was a glimmer of hope followed by a swift kick to the crotch

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
As soon as an HR friend of mine mentioned this to me, that same week my employer sent out a big mass email to everyone saying we weren't eligible. It was a glimmer of hope followed by a swift kick to the crotch
Sucks. I hate my company for not doing anything to help out. I wish i could quit so bad.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
With respect to the media what I do is check a few sites I know are biased in one direction and then check a few sites I know are biased in the other direction. It is time consuming but the only way I know to get most of the facts about any given situation. Like you I really wish there were some trustworthy neutral news sites. Alas... :help: :pullhair:

I remember growing up in the 90's/early 00's we used to get some of the US news stations on our satellite TV service, namely Fox and CNN. I had zero clue about the US political landscape at that age, red and blue were just colours but my dad used to watch them and I remember the stark difference in coverage between the two in the lead up to the 2000 US election. I must have obviously asked my dad about it because I remember him explaining to me what an agenda was.

What's most frustrating is many outlets here can be very subtle with their bias especially as the number of online sources grows, it can be very difficult to figure out what exactly you are reading. At least with many of the big US ones such as the two aforementioned, you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I think this is great! Fantastic initiative and moxie by these guys to give themselves a nice little pad to hang out in, right in the heart of NYC. Despite the aspects of theft associated with their action, I really hope they don't get fired - they haven't hurt anybody and the electrical costs associated with the room with be a tiny drop in a vast ocean compared to those for the whole metro network.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

On the question of lower mortality rates I think you're right - a lot of countries are getting better at ensuring that the very elderly and vulnerable are protected from infection. Although I think @Fenway is also correct to point out that we are also getting better at treating the sick.

As for lockdowns, they're a blunt instrument that politicians like because they're relatively easy to implement and they make them look assertive and decisive. So despite grumbling in a lot of places they tend to be popular because there is a lot of fear out there and people like the idea of a leader who will take charge. And, purely in terms of suppressing the virus, they do work, for awhile at least. In many cases though you could be much much cleverer about how you only close certain aspects of society so as to protect the most vulnerable, trace and isolate the carriers, and thereby limit most of the spread while most people just get on with work and life. But that requires much more effort, resourcing and intelligence, and it lacks the attention-grabbing punch that most pollies look for.

For all its undoubted benefits, one of the big drawbacks of democracy is that it produces leaders who rarely look beyond the next election, and who are mostly looking to implement plans, policies and actions that will garner instant approval and visual impact, rather than long-term measures that will prove of greater benefit over time. That, abetted by the media, which stopped being a genuine 'fourth estate' in most countries a long time ago, is a significant reason why a lot of places have turned the pandemic into a pure numbers game of cases and deaths, with little focus on the wider, long-term ramifications of this event and the actions taken to counter it. It's also why I have little faith that much will be done to prepare for and address the long-term effects in mental health, unemployment, and the negative effects associated with a smaller, poorer economy, because the true impacts of these are 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Honesty, whenever we get to the end of all this, I think we'll look back and realise that Sweden was one of the most right countries in its approach. They stuffed up, as most places did, in not protecting their aged care homes and similar vulnerable sectors of the population properly, and that accounts for most of their relatively high death rate in the early days. But that blind spot happened plenty in countries that went into full lockdown, like mine, so it's not just a product of their more laissez faire approach. But they've learned their lesson on that, and otherwise they've kept society on a much more even keel than most places, and now their infection rates are just tracking along at very stable, reasonably low numbers, while deaths are mostly under 5 a day - still tragic, but probably unavoidable and better than most places that had a much more forthright and restrictive pandemic response, while Swedes have mostly just gotten on with life. No-one's managed this perfectly, and I think Sweden probably didn't do enough in terms of encouraging increased use of masks, hygiene and cleaning practices and distancing, but their model plus better precautions for everyday living and the vulnerable is probably in the ball park of what's best from a long-term perspective.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-9-24_20-3-53.png

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
(CNN)It's hard to exercise restraint when eating candy. For licorice lovers, indulging sparingly could actually be lifesaving.

A study published Wednesday in The New England Journal of Medicine says a 54-year-old man died as a result of eating too much licorice.

The man, a construction worker from Massachusetts, lost consciousness inside a fast-food restaurant and was taken to a hospital, where he died the next day.

Doctors wrote that he had "a poor diet, consisting primarily of several packages of candy daily," and that three weeks before, he switched from eating fruit-flavored soft candy to licorice candy, which contained glycyrrhizic acid.

Man dies after eating too much licorice - CNN

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad