OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer III - The Fours may reopen after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In November and December it will spike again to new daily records.

currently the biggest concern in healthcare and pharma is a collision course with seasonal influenza.
By definition contracting the flu means a compromised immune system. Potential for Covid to have a whole additional pool to infest.
Goal is for 200 million vaccines this season provided by all makers.

Guidance on our end is to prepare for another wave influenced by seasonal influenza and all that will bring with it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This made for a delightful Saturday morning breakfast

FB0D888B-7331-4645-BB8A-1FCCE21ABB79.jpeg

Reactions: GabeTravels

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
currently the biggest concern in healthcare and pharma is a collision course with seasonal influenza.
By definition contracting the flu means a compromised immune system. Potential for Covid to have a whole additional pool to infest.

Guidance on our end is to prepare for another wave influenced by seasonal influenza and all that will bring with it.
In Canada the new flu vaccine will be available soon. I'm on the list for a flu vaccine for this season, i didn't had one for over 25 years...but this season, it's a no brainer.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Starting today in Ontario strip clubs are closed. Bars have last call at 11pm and restaurants closed at midnight. Maximum of 10 people indoors are in effect since last week. Cases have increased to over 400 daily. If people don't respect the rules and daily cases aren't decreasing they'll start shutting down some more. Some businesses have been permanently shut down for having multiple times exceeding capacity and no social distancing.

Private parties will have heavy fines and each person will also be individually heavily fined. Gotta love a pro active government.

Ah ffs, there goes morale.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Got my CPAP Resmed airsense 10 Elite the same day I got my prescription, 10 days ago. I had previously bought my mask Resmed airfit N30i. Thanks @Gee Wally. First 2 days I couldn't sleep more than 3 1/2 hours per night. The cushion from the mask irritate my nose around the nostrils, I had to remove the mask, my nose was too sensitive, Same thing for night 2.

I then saw a video with the same kind of mask but made by Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal Mask. Softer all around silicon. Same shit different day. Got back to my original mask as it's a more all around better built.

I just kept with it until my sensitive nose would get used to it. A simple plan...too simple maybe. Then a new problem happened, a gurgling sound...water in my heated tube waking me up at night, 2 nights in a row until I found the source of the problem.

I followed instructions on how to fix it, but it kept happening. Then I found the source of the problem. My fan was blowing directly at me and I was closer to the air conditioning vent. It created condensation in my heated tube. My wife was more than happy to change sides. Last night was a full uninterrupted 6 1/2 Hours of sleep. My wife had her best sleep in years. I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: LSCII

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Got my CPAP Resmed airsense 10 Elite the same day I got my prescription, 10 days ago. I had previously bought my mask Resmed airfit N30i. Thanks @Gee Wally. First 2 days I couldn't sleep more than 3 1/2 hours per night. The cushion from the mask irritate my nose around the nostrils, I had to remove the mask, my nose was too sensitive, Same thing for night 2.

I then saw a video with the same kind of mask but made by Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal Mask. Softer all around silicon. Same shit different day. Got back to my original mask as it's a more all around better built.

I just kept with it until my sensitive nose would get used to it. A simple plan...too simple maybe. Then a new problem happened, a gurgling sound...water in my heated tube waking me up at night, 2 nights in a row until I found the source of the problem.

I followed instructions on how to fix it, but it kept happening. Then I found the source of the problem. My fan was blowing directly at me and I was closer to the air conditioning vent. It created condensation in my heated tube. My wife was more than happy to change sides. Last night was a full uninterrupted 6 1/2 Hours of sleep. My wife had her best sleep in years. I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Great news! I thinks all of us require some degree of tweaking to get it ‘just right’. Temperature, pressure and humidity will all be individually dependent. But once you have it dialed in your lives will change for the better.
For sensitive nose/skin get a tube of lanolin in the baby aisle of any drug store. Apply as needed before wearing your mask. It will help a lot until you are used to it.

CVS Lanolin Cream, 1.41 OZ (with Photos, Prices & Reviews) - CVS Pharmacy

its used by nursing mothers for essentially the same reason.

I alsonow use this a PhilipsDreamware. Best thingI ever did.

Philips Respironics DreamWear Fit Pack without Headgear | sleepdirect.com

Reactions: Spooner st

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Every human on the planet has been put on notice for most forced to take measures that drastically lower their risk of normal flu/common cold.

Less people should get those two things this winter given the unprecedented measures that will be taken.

I just hope that come February/March we have a common desire to move past this. Every aspect of this pandemic can be twisted to fit certain narratives. A vaccine coming available should be a good thing but who knows local governments have been given more power than they have ever had to vax or not vax could be 2021's divisive issue that has everyone at each others throats if the government is stepping in and telling people they have to get it.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I know some people who are anti vaccination. They always say “do your research”, which doesn’t make any sense to me. Like am I supposed to set up a double blind study and create a control group and monitor large groups of people for symptoms? I understand distrust but sometimes you need to trust that things are being done to help people and not for vaguely defined nefarious purposes.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I know some people who are anti vaccination. They always say “do your research”, which doesn’t make any sense to me. Like am I supposed to set up a double blind study and create a control group and monitor large groups of people for symptoms? I understand distrust but sometimes you need to trust that things are being done to help people and not for vaguely defined nefarious purposes.

I could kinda understand people being a little reluctant to be first in line for any possible Covid vaccine given how quickly they are trying to develop it but yeah when it comes to well established and proven vaccines such as those for measles, Hep B etc.. any parent who consciously chooses not to get their child vaccinated in line with medical recommendations should be charged with child neglect imo.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I could kinda understand people being a little reluctant to be first in line for any possible Covid vaccine given how quickly they are trying to develop it but yeah when it comes to well established and proven vaccines such as those for measles, Hep B etc.. any parent who consciously chooses not to get their child vaccinated in line with medical recommendations should be charged with child neglect imo.

Agreed on all counts

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Great news! I thinks all of us require some degree of tweaking to get it ‘just right’. Temperature, pressure and humidity will all be individually dependent. But once you have it dialed in your lives will change for the better.
For sensitive nose/skin get a tube of lanolin in the baby aisle of any drug store. Apply as needed before wearing your mask. It will help a lot until you are used to it.

CVS Lanolin Cream, 1.41 OZ (with Photos, Prices & Reviews) - CVS Pharmacy

its used by nursing mothers for essentially the same reason.

I alsonow use this a PhilipsDreamware. Best thingI ever did.

Philips Respironics DreamWear Fit Pack without Headgear | sleepdirect.com
For the Philips Respironics DreamWear the headgear is imo to soft if you mostly sleep on the side. The back strap is also more flimsy if you move around. I would have double the events per hour with it. Lots of leaks also. I originally had 73 events per hour before the cpap machine. 3 events after, in a 4 hour uninterrupted sleep at the clinic. I remember you had around 43. Now I manage to have 6 events per hour in a 6 hour uninterrupted sleep, with my Resmed airfit. I also tried the pillow on both the Resmed and the Philip's. Imo worse than the cushion. It's all about what is best for each individual.

I already bought a second Small cushion in case...they're not available on Amazon. Except for the cpap machine for the only purpose of the ( I believe every Province has a program) Ontario Province program that pays 75% of the Cpap machine kit for first time users that include the regular tube and basic nose mask. Everything else was bought at Amazon for better prices, although my insurance pays 100% of it. Up to 2k for 5 years for Cpap machine, $250 per year for mask and 100% for supplies.

Reactions: Gee Wally

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Less than 10% having antibodies screams that the concept of herd immunity is a sucker's bet to me. That would take far too long and result in far too many needless deaths, but what do I know? I'm not a TV doctor being paid by a cable network.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'm not anti vaccine, but I fully understand that every medicine you use has an associated risk and I urge everyone to read the lengthy inserts before they take anything just so they know what risk there is, even if it's minimal. The concept of a vaccine is to help the greater good, but some people do have sever reactions to various elements included. And just because you've had something like a seasonal flu shot once with no issues does not mean you cannot have an adverse reaction the next time you get it. To me, it's just about being informed and accepting and understanding what risk there is. FWIW, the swine flu vaccine was rushed to market years ago, and it had one of the highest rates of adverse reactions initially. If I was to get a coronavirus shot, I'd want to see the numbers on it before I did anything.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
To change the subject, I had good news yesterday. I won TWO contests and received emails within an hour. I won a year's supply of yogourt worth $520.00 and then I won a talk show's contest with prizes worth $3500! A new mattress, $500 Visa gift card, Keurig and a year's supply of coffee, Phillips toothbrush, Fitbit, high end hair dryer and straightener plus a year's supply of shampoo and conditoner and a barber set. It was a pandemic prize pack basically.

Anyway, I wanted to share some positive news for a change!

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Less than 10% having antibodies screams that the concept of herd immunity is a sucker's bet to me. That would take far too long and result in far too many needless deaths, but what do I know? I'm not a TV doctor being paid by a cable network.

I've never been an advocate for a herd immunity approach but there is some good research that around 35 percent of the population has some form of effective defense against this already. Add in many areas where a third of the population has had it and it's not a totally outrageous thought. Good indicator will be how high the cases spike during winter in places that have already had it really bad like the northeast, California, Texas, Italy.

Like I said from the start, you either have it, had it, or will get it. There's no way around that. 71 million estimated infections in US so far and we have another 7 months before there's any type of substantial mass vaccinations, so yeah, all we can do it try and be smart and not overload the hospitals. Other than that it is what it is at this point. The only deaths to really be "avoided" are making sure people who are really at risk stay home, keep everyone out of the nursing homes, and let the rest of us go about our lives with masks.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Massachusetts is making a flu shot mandatory for kids to be in school this year, k-college.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The US have about 4 percent of the world’s population and 21 percent of all Covid deaths and the highest unemployment since the Great Depression! And the worse is yet to come.

Germany is one of the best countries that handled C-19 with minimum casualties. A simple plan, listen to scientists and follow instructions. Being a scientist herself, it was a no brainer for Merkel.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Us ever successfully developing a vaccine that is both effective and comes with no major side effects, or worse, is a hope.

In my opinion the development of a vaccine is looking promising.
The efficacy is yet to be determined. Seasonal? Maybe.

I cant go into any details because of my work.

My only strong opinion and advice is beware the tortoise and the hare.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
In my opinion the development of a vaccine is looking promising.
The efficacy is yet to be determined. Seasonal? Maybe.

I cant go into any details because of my work.

My only strong opinion and advice is beware the tortoise and the hare.
I personally wouldn't accept a vaccine from China or Russia...from the US and any other manufacturer, only after being thoroughly tested in labs and then with the population. I'm in no rush.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Wife's been away for 3 weeks now.

Things are going okay... But man, I'm lonely. Socially distanced hangouts with my family have helped a bit. But coming home from work to an empty house every day sucks.

She's enjoying her time with her family and friends... But I'm not gonna lie, I'm really looking forward to her being back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad