The Never-Too-Early 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Were not picking at 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The USHL is a lot more comparable to the CHL now isn't it?

It seems more and more like a point producer from the USHL would probably produce similar in the CHL.

More high end players still come from the CHL. It's not a bad substitute, especially for those in Canada who want to go to the NCAA (which is why it is comparable in the first place), but the best players still come from the CHL (if they are not dominating in a pro league in Europe of course).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
From Bob's list. One of these is likely a future Leaf (trade aside, of course)

View attachment 179471

Newhook, Seider, Vlasic, McMichael would easily be my top 4 on that list. Poulin would probably be my number 5 simply because I think it gets really tight after that and I am the most familiar with him. Plus I think he would fit the Leafs perfectly. He is listed as a RW, but I think he is more of a natural LW, and his style would compliment our top guys well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The USHL is a lot more comparable to the CHL now isn't it?

It seems more and more like a point producer from the USHL would probably produce similar in the CHL.
Hard to say. I don't think the skill level is on par with the OHL or WHL (once you remove the Program), but for whatever reason, the league tends to be lower scoring. While guys like Boeser, Gaudreau and Kyle Connor had impressive numbers, they weren't as crazy as you see with the top OHL talents. For example, Boeser stat line was in line with Konecny's in their respective draft years.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Just started looking at the prospects for the next draft.
How does this year stack up? Looking deep, shallow? Any particular position looking good?
Thanks.
This draft is a lot weakre than the prior years.
Lots of people are skeptical is Hughes will even be able to make an NHL club in his first season.
I would argue this draft for goalies may be good. Knight (projected 1st round pick [want the Leafs to pick him]) has been dubbed the best American goalie prospect ever.

Other than that, expect the Leafs to pick more overagers like last season.

Reactions: Macallan18

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just read on twitter 3 Leafs scouts were scouting Hoglander last week.

Obviously not surprising as he's a guy that should be there late in the 1st, but I love how the FO is all about skill and speed without considering size.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Obviously not surprising as he's a guy that should be there late in the 1st, but I love how the FO is all about skill and speed without considering size.

Dubas scouted him earlier in the year while in Sweden to see Willy. They def like him.

Reactions: Kiwi and Morgs

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Would be ecstatic with Hoglander. Plays with a ton of passion from what i've read and has some grease to his game to go with the obvious skill. Could use a high-end LW in the system.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Dubas scouted him earlier in the year while in Sweden to see Willy. They def like him.

If Bergman likes him, it's hard to disagree at this point. I haven't been able to fully get into this draft yet, but the scouting reports on Hoglander seem interesting:

"A skilled winger with good acceleration and a good release. Plays bigger than his size and has looked capable in the SHL this season. Quick cuts and quicker hands allow him to dart in and out of traffic."

"Pesky winger with a nonstop motor and the ability to make plays off of board battles and cycles. The puck always seems to find him."

Can't seem to find much video on him though, but description sounds like a Gallagher-type.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Just read the scouting reports on him, sounds pretty good

I like skill, tools, motor with a willingness to go into dirty areas

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just read the scouting reports on him, sounds pretty good

I like skill, tools, motor with a willingness to go into dirty areas

Looks decent, played at the WJC as a draft eligible, and he's absolutely throttling the "51% Rule" that is very important for Swedish prospects in the SHL.

In case someone doesn't know the "51% Rule":
Skaters who played in the Swedish Hockey League at 18-years-old or younger with a points per game of at least .09 ended up playing 200 NHL games or more 51% of the time

10 points in 34 GP for a 0.29 ppg.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Looks decent, played at the WJC as a draft eligible, and he's absolutely throttling the "51% Rule" that is very important for Swedish prospects in the SHL.

In case someone doesn't know the "51% Rule":

10 points in 34 GP for a 0.29 ppg.

Yeah, I'd be more than happy taking him in the mid 20's

I've got a soft spot for draft eligiles playing in men's leagues, that's got to be bloody tough

Reactions: dangomon and Morgs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, I'd be more than happy taking him in the mid 20's

I've got a soft spot for draft eligiles playing in men's leagues, that's got to be bloody tough

Of the guys who could be there I got him on my list with Pelletier, Robertson, Seider, Tomasino, Leason, Dorofeyev, McMichael, Spiridonov.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Hughes unanimous No. 1 in look at first round of 2019 Draft

Latest NHL.com mock draft.
25. Toronto Maple Leafs

Kimelman -- Soderstrom, D:
The Maple Leafs have selected Sweden-born defensemen in the first round of the draft in 2017 (Timothy Liljegren, No. 17) and 2018 (Rasmus Sandin, No. 29), and Soderstrom has just as much upside as both of those players. He skates well, makes a good first pass and is solid in his zone.

Morreale -- Leason, C: Leason is fourth in the Western Hockey League with 73 points (31 goals, 42 assists) in 40 games. He's a power forward who can protect the puck and has good skill, vision and hockey sense.

Lepage -- Nils Hoglander, LW, Rogle (SWE): The forward (5-9, 185) always has the pedal to the metal and sometimes displays playmaking skills that suggest a bright future.

Reactions: Morgs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Of the guys who could be there I got him on my list with Pelletier, Robertson, Seider, Tomasino, Leason, Dorofeyev, McMichael, Spiridonov.

I really like Seider but I've got some doubts he's getting to us, he seems to be in the mid teens-early 20's on a few mocks I've seen recently

I still like Hoglander though, I have a lot of time for kids that age playing in mens leagues like the SHL and putting up some decent offensive numbers

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Right now these are my top 50, I have Hoglander pretty high. Think he'd be an amazing pick. The bolded are all guys I could see being in our range that we'd grab.
  1. Jack Hughes C
  2. Kappo Kakko RW
  3. Kirby Dach C
  4. Dylan Cozens C
  5. Bowen Byram LD
  6. Vasili Podkolzin RW
  7. Peyton Krebs C
  8. Alex Turcotte C
  9. Alex Newhook C
  10. Trevor Zegras C
  11. Philip Broberg LD
  12. Matthew Boldy RW
  13. Cam York LD
  14. Cole Caufield RW
  15. Arthur Kaliyev RW
  16. Bobby Brink LW
  17. Raphael Lavoie C
  18. Moritz Seider RD
  19. Nils Hoglander LW
  20. Jakob Pelletier C
  21. Phillip Tomasino C
  22. Victor Soderstrom RD
  23. Matthew Robertson LD
  24. Ryan Suzuki C
  25. Tobias Bjornfot LD
  26. Connor McMichael C
  27. Lassi Thomson RD
  28. Nick Robertson LW/C
  29. Brett Leason C
  30. Albin Grewe C/RW
  31. Mikko Kokkonen LD
  32. Ville Heinola LD
  33. Pavel Dorofyev W
  34. Yegor Spiridonov C/W
  35. Valentin Nussbaumer C/W
  36. Spencer Knight G
  37. Samuel Poulin LW
  38. Nolan Foote LW
  39. Ilya Mironov LD
  40. Simon Holmstrom RW
  41. Leevi Aaltonen LW
  42. Artemi Kniasev LD
  43. Thomas Harley LD
  44. Ryan Johnson LD
  45. Kaedan Korczak RD
  46. Egor Afanasyev LW
  47. Maxim Cajkovic W
  48. Anttoni Honka RD
  49. Alex Vlasic LD
  50. John Beecher C

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The 2001 group has some pretty good players. It looks a lot like the 2017 draft with a much better high end. There is still going to be a lot of good late-1st round talent, and there are even a few guys who should stand out. There are also a few guys ranked pretty high who we should avoid altogether, but that is not any different than any other year.

I think the main thing I see is that as you get later on into the 2nd round, it is pretty weak. However once you get back a few picks into the 3rd round and later, it picks up much better than last year. Last year kind of just started out high and gradually just got worse in relative quality before completely dropping off after like pick 50. Still a few good picks here and there, but it was mostly just mediocre or below. This year I think there is enough quality to get some great players at least through the first 3 or 4 rounds, and maybe even with the 5th rounder (at least I think there is a similar chance of finding it as in the 3rd round last year), without too much waivering in quality.

Really, if you look at the OA crop this year, if it wasn't for Leason coming out of complete obscurity, I doubt you would even see an OA pick in the top 75. Justin Bergeron, Samuel Fagemo, and Nikita Rtishchev may challenge, and will likely go somewhere in the 3rd round, but I think there will be a lot fewer OA picks than in recent years. The 2000 group just did not have the type of quality depth as you would hope for to be going after too many OA's. There will probably be more 99's selected than 00's, but after Leason, I doubt any of them go before the 4th or 5th round... At that point, there may just be a whole rush of them though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
One of my favourites.

Apparently he's not very good defensively, on top of the size issue, and does not have the offense to make up for it.

He had some pretty good stick skills, but he looked really slow on that play and it looked more like the other team had no idea how to defend more than him doing anything spectacular.

Not sure where I would put him, but I definitely do not value him like most people are currently ranking him.

His brother was a far better player, and he's struggling to even stay in the NHL as a bottom pairing guy right now.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Apparently he's not very good defensively, on top of the size issue, and does not have the offense to make up for it.

He had some pretty good stick skills, but he looked really slow on that play and it looked more like the other team had no idea how to defend more than him doing anything spectacular.

Not sure where I would put him, but I definitely do not value him like most people are currently ranking him.

His brother was a far better player, and he's struggling to even stay in the NHL as a bottom pairing guy right now.

His skating is definitely one of his best skills. Sure he's not using it there but, we and I'm sure that team knew it was in his bag.

The thing about him is his microstats are always looking great. He's an exit machine, shot attempts are top-notch, he creates a f*** ton of shot assits. He's the modern-day "I don't play defense because the puck is never in my end" Quinn Hughes-type. Sure his potential is nowhere near as high, but we're talking about an 18 year old defenseman that is dominating a men's league. Defense imo is a lot easier to teach than the skills he possesses.

As for his brother, Dallas has never given him a fair shake. He's exactly the type of defenseman I'd love to pick up for our 3rd pairing with definite growth potential.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
His skating is definitely one of his best skills. Sure he's not using it there but, we and I'm sure that team knew it was in his bag.

The thing about him is his microstats are always looking great. He's an exit machine, shot attempts are top-notch, he creates a **** ton of shot assits. He's the modern-day "I don't play defense because the puck is never in my end" Quinn Hughes-type. Sure his potential is nowhere near as high, but we're talking about an 18 year old defenseman that is dominating a men's league. Defense imo is a lot easier to teach than the skills he possesses.

As for his brother, Dallas has never given him a fair shake. He's exactly the type of defenseman I'd love to pick up for our 3rd pairing with definite growth potential.

Honka is one guy I wouldn't mind the Leafs take a flyer on with their 1st round pick. Offensively, he is one of the best defenceman in the draft (one of the few with top pairing offensive potential).

If the Leafs could work on his defensive game to make it passable, which should be possible due to his above average skating and hockey IQ. He could become a very good late round pick.

tl:dr one of the best offensive defenders in the draft, and one of the highest raw talents in the draft. Needs some serious defensive training however.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

The thing about him is his microstats are always looking great. He's an exit machine, shot attempts are top-notch, he creates a **** ton of shot assits. He's the modern-day "I don't play defense because the puck is never in my end" Quinn Hughes-type. Sure his potential is nowhere near as high, but we're talking about an 18 year old defenseman that is dominating a men's league. Defense imo is a lot easier to teach than the skills he possesses.

I would rather give Liljegren than opportunity than Honka. Honka will need serious sheltering, probably even more than Ozhiganov is getting right now.

Anttoni is not dominating the Liiga… If anything he's barely keeping his head above water there. That is why he went to the second-league.

He's a pure project pick in my books, and I do not think I would consider him until the 3rd round at the earliest. Possibly not even until the 4th round. Maybe that changes, but that is what it is looking like as of right now.

He is very much like SDA. Huge upside, nice skill, etc. but needs a lot of work to harness the skill into something that is tangible for the NHL. Unlike SDA, he's one of the oldest guys in the draft and not the youngest though.

Reactions: 93LEAFS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad