The Myth of John Tavares and Unmet Potential - by an Isles Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
JT had Bailey, the offensive mastermind behind the Isles, feeding him those oh so sweet passes -- lets not forget that!

Reactions: Lights911

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Loved Tavares when he was here. But I find it suspect that he leaves and we become light years better than when he was here. I still dont think hes captain material. Rob Schremp summed up JT perfectly. But when all is said and done, I think hes a HOF'r pretty easily. He will have over 500 goals and 1000 pts throughout his career. I dont think anyone would call him a dissappointment for 1st overrall and he absolutely is an elite player.

How did Schremp sum him up perfectly? He back peddles about all of it in this audio clip and sounds like he regrets what he tweeted.

Rob Schremp clarifies what he meant by calling John Tavares a "I did my job" superstar - Sportsnet.ca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm an Islander fan and watching Tavares leave sucked and did leave me a little bitter. With that said I've seen Isles fans say stuff like he wasn't even an elite player...:help: GET. OVER. IT. ALREADY.
Not you specifically but when Tavares played against the Islanders in Long Island, what’s the point of their fans chanting “We don’t need you”? I mean if they consider him to be a traitor and are happy he left since @The Winter Soldier mentions their cap space, in my opinion chanting “We don’t need you” makes some of their fan base hypocrites. If Tavares had re-signed they would be 100% behind that.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
How did Schremp sum him up perfectly? He back peddles about all of it in this audio clip and sounds like he regrets what he tweeted.

Rob Schremp clarifies what he meant by calling John Tavares a "I did my job" superstar - Sportsnet.ca

He back peddles on what he tweeted because of all these snowflakes that got offended by it. I don't see anything wrong with it, he left and we start winning, I don't think that is a coincidence. Tavares is the perfect elite player, for a bad team.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not you specifically but when Tavares played against the Islanders in Long Island, what’s the point of their fans chanting “We don’t need you”? I mean if they consider him to be a traitor and are happy he left since @The Winter Soldier mentions their cap space, in my opinion chanting “We don’t need you” makes some of their fan base hypocrites. If Tavares had re-signed they would be 100% behind that.

Just because you don't need somebody doesn't mean you didn't want them to stay. Of course fans wanted him to stay and of course the Islanders would be a better team than they are now (dare I say they might be cup contenders if he did say), but objectively they've done really well without him. Fans feel burned and I get it I obviously wasn't happy when he left (no fan base would be). I think that the Islanders having been so bad for so long and Tavares being the "chosen one" (a role he gladly accepted mind you), is why things were made so bitter.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Because who knew? JT leaves and seemingly overnight the Islanders skyrocket. So apparently "we don't need you" is simply a statement of fact. Truthfully the Islanders never played this well when JT was there.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just because you don't need somebody doesn't mean you didn't want them to stay. Of course fans wanted him to stay and of course the Islanders would be a better team than they are now (dare I say they might be cup contenders if he did say), but objectively they've done really well without him. Fans feel burned and I get it I obviously wasn't happy when he left (no fan base would be). I think that the Islanders having been so bad for so long and Tavares being the "chosen one" (a role he gladly accepted mind you), is why things were made so bitter.

I mean, technically every single team doesn't need any one player. The franchise will move on and the wheel keeps turning. Tavares may have accepted that role, but he also accepted a cheap deal to try and win and the team failed to surround him with much of anything that entire time.

Because who knew? JT leaves and seemingly overnight the Islanders skyrocket. So apparently "we don't need you" is simply a statement of fact. Truthfully the Islanders never played this well when JT was there.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with getting a top coach fresh off a cup win after decades of mickey mouse coaches and is all because Tavares is a cancer or something.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I mean, technically every single team doesn't need any one player. The franchise will move on and the wheel keeps turning. Tavares may have accepted that role, but he also accepted a cheap deal to try and win and the team failed to surround him with much of anything that entire time.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with getting a top coach fresh off a cup win after decades of mickey mouse coaches and is all because Tavares is a cancer or something.

Never said that the coaching change was not a factor. All I said was "Who knew". The only thing that can be judged are the facts before us. The Islanders got a new coach, JT left the team and the Islanders, without any other major roster changes, went from one of the worst teams to a very competitive team. Was it JT leaving? Was it Trotz coaching? Was it a combination of both? We will never know but as things stand today it would seem that the Islanders can compete at level never attained while JT was on their roster. So it is hard to argue that the statement "We don't need you" is not factual.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Never said that the coaching change was not a factor. All I said was "Who knew". The only thing that can be judged are the facts before us. The Islanders got a new coach, JT left the team and the Islanders, without any other major roster changes, went from one of the worst teams to a very competitive team. Was it JT leaving? Was it Trotz coaching? Was it a combination of both? We will never know but as things stand today it would seem that the Islanders can compete at level never attained while JT was on their roster. So it is hard to argue that the statement "We don't need you" is not factual.

Maybe you can find the answer in the team going from worst to best in GA? Clearly it was coaching. This is on the same level as ROR being a cancer because the Avs were bad and then he went to Buffalo who stayed bad. It's nonsense.

Imagine going "Hmm did the Pens win the cup because Letang was hurt and off the team or because they changed coaches.. I guess we'll never know"

Last edited:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Maybe you can find the answer in the team going from worst to best in GA? Clearly it was coaching. This is on the same level as ROR being a cancer because the Avs were bad and then he went to Buffalo who stayed bad. It's nonsense.

Imagine going "Hmm did the Pens win the cup because Letang was hurt and off the team or because they changed coaches.. I guess we'll never know"
So your assumption is the JT would have been a Trotz guy from the word go? We don't know that. We do know the Barzal was no fan of JT and the feeling seemed to be mutual. "The kid that won the Caldar" There is one indisputable fact the Islanders are a better team today then they were when JT was on the team. So I stand by my statement "We don't need you" is factually correct.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So your assumption is the JT would have been a Trotz guy from the word go? We don't know that. We do know the Barzal was no fan of JT and the feeling seemed to be mutual. "The kid that won the Caldar" There is one indisputable fact the Islanders are a better team today then they were when JT was on the team. So I stand by my statement "We don't need you" is factually correct.

We don't need him for what, exactly?

To be a better team but still not good enough?

We would be true cup contenders if we still had him. We don't need him to drastically improve under Trotz, but in my opinion, we do need him (or a player like him) if we want to win a cup.

Trotz + better goaltending + the development of our defence has more to do with our current success than anything else.

Also where is the proof that Barzal didn't like Tavares?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There was Leafs fans who felt like that about Mats Sundin after he didn’t want to be traded in 2008, along with saying he didn’t want to be a rental player since he never believed in it. However during the 08-09 season in the month of December he signs with the Canucks and becomes a rental player. The one difference is Leafs fans never booed him or the way Islanders fans reacted towards Tavares when he plays them in Long Island. Look at the video tribute Sundin got compared to the video tribute Tavares got.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

The kid who won the calder was obviously a terrible word choice, but his intent has been completely misjudged by Isles fans with an axe to grind (just like PJ boy when it was bed sheets). He was trying to emphasis the team is in good hands, and as you've pointed out, they were.

The fact that JT is a company man and you've watched him for a decade should tell you that he would buy in to whatever was being sold. I know the team is doing better, and you guys are happy which is great.. I just hope you realize how ridiculous it sounds to suggest not having a PPG+ center is a positive thing. The team would be even better with him.

And to make it clear, this is not just a Leaf thing either. I take issue with all of these types of posts (ROR, Duchene, etc) because the notion is so outrageous. Hell, the golden example is Phil Kessel winning 2 cups and almost a Smyth after this main board tore him to shreds for years.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I still think chanting “We don’t need you” when your fan base wanted Tavares to re-sign is a dumb thing to say based on those circumstances.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And to make it clear, this is not just a Leaf thing either. I take issue with all of these types of posts (ROR, Duchene, etc) because the notion is so outrageous. Hell, the golden example is Phil Kessel winning 2 cups and almost a Smyth after this main board tore him to shreds for years.
The funny thing is during Kessel’s years in Toronto it was Leafs fans who always defended him and from the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh, those who bashed him on here acted like it never happened and even said we never appreciated him.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
Yea that's how it happened. I've been stalking you just to call you salty and laugh at you.

Naw, it's called I saw this thread on the main page after someone bumped it.. Oh noo I should have checked the date, now I'm being accused of being some goofs biggest fan! Yikes. Enjoy your AHL team that wins games here and there because no other team in the league takes them serious.

Of course I'll pull a quote from anytime when it's a load of bullsh*t lies to try to further your little emotional agenda of hate, bitterness and jealousy against JT.

Again, stay salty.

Thanks for the like, usually what happens when folks concede to being wrecked. You'll see me around, skulking in the shadows. Lmao.

Reactions: IslesBro715

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He back peddles on what he tweeted because of all these snowflakes that got offended by it. I don't see anything wrong with it, he left and we start winning, I don't think that is a coincidence. Tavares is the perfect elite player, for a bad team.

If you didn't have the coach you do, maybe there'd be reason to give the notion pause for thought.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
The funny thing is during Kessel’s years in Toronto it was Leafs fans who always defended him and from the moment he was traded to Pittsburgh, those who bashed him on here acted like it never happened and even said we never appreciated him.

Oh I know. Not to say he didn't take heat - and deservedly so at times - in Toronto, but even during his best years he was never given any respect as a top player. Hell even TSN had him ranked in the late 40's league wide his late season here. I have a thread bookmarked I break out when people claim it never happened of people just bashing him about a month before he was dealt on the mains, and Leaf fans defending him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh I know. Not to say he didn't take heat - and deservedly so at times - in Toronto, but even during his best years he was never given any respect as a top player. Hell even TSN had him ranked in the late 40's league wide his late season here. I have a thread bookmarked I break out when people claim it never happened of people just bashing him about a month before he was dealt on the mains, and Leaf fans defending him.
I remember TSN defending Kessel’s ranking at that time since they said he was a winger, even though he was coming off an 82 point season in 2011-2012.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I remember TSN defending Kessel’s ranking at that time since they said he was a winger, even though he was coming off an 82 point season in 2011-2012.

Or being told that we were over rating him by saying he was good in the playoffs because he had "one good year" in TO and a few meh years his first seasons in Boston that brought down his average. Then he goes on to be vital in the playoffs for both of their runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad