The Myth of John Tavares and Unmet Potential - by an Isles Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Who cares? Tavares on the leafs where he wanted to be and the isles found a way to be successful without him, move the hell on; both fans.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He put up 47 goals last year but im not spruced a Tampa fan would act like last season never happened seeing as how the Bolts are like the only 60 win team to get swept by an 8th seed. Talk about overpaid players, imagine paying all that money to Stamkos, Kucherov etc and not even winning a playoff game
lol JT was 12 the last time Toronto won a playoff series

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
As I think you’re learning you LEAF fan you....Tavares while a very good player is extremely overrated and a not very good captain/leader. Enjoy the next 5 years at 11 million with him suffocating the Leafs cap situation.

Not defending OP by any means, but most Toronto fans are happy with Tavares and look forward to the rest of his career here... It's some of the other parts of this team that have truly been disappointing, and that are actually suffocating the Leafs cap situation (Marner, Nylander, and Andersen for the most part).

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Not defending OP by any means, but most Toronto fans are happy with Tavares and look forward to the rest of his career here... It's some of the other parts of this team that have truly been disappointing, and that are actually suffocating the Leafs cap situation (Marner, Nylander, and Andersen for the most part).

Marner who out plays and out produces JT is the problem? Marner still has a couple years until he is at his best, your upset at the wrong contract.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
1% chance you see a TML fan in a Chicago/Dallas pissing thread. Don't know why other fanbases do not have the same courtesy or other activities in their lives to keep them happy/occupied.

Oh you very much do in anything lol @1%

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
who lives in who’s head? Lol “ by an isles fan”

yikes.
Bad timing to not be an Isles fan a year ago or never to be one to begin with. Tavares is what he always was, and at age 30 a week from now, I think the myth here is, expecting him to take a jump to meet his unmet potential is unrealistic regardless of what team he is on.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Why do clown fans of other team get a free pass to enter any Leaf thread and add more fuel to the fire with idiotic posts like the ones above?

1% chance you see a TML fan in a Chicago/Dallas pissing thread. Don't know why other fanbases do not have the same courtesy or other activities in their lives to keep them happy/occupied.
This is Tavares thread and started by Isles fan....?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I have been thinking about writing this post for over a month now. I've noticed on different areas of this website, John has been disrespected or generally underrated or underappreciated.

What I've read:
  • John got overpaid
  • John never reached his potential
  • John wasn't a great #1 pick
  • John's career has been a letdown

Now just so we're clear, I am not interested in discussing how he left our team...as most Islander fans would agree, we're dissapointed. There's no way around that, even if he did give us some good years. If I had it my way, we would have hired Lou and Trotz 5 years ago and John's story with us may be completely different.

Good. That's out of the way. Lets look at some of John's stats.

I recently read in the prospects forum that a certain prospect is similar to Tavares, and it was meant as an insult. Posters claimed he isn't elite, and that you can find better players in every draft, so it's a disappointing comparison. Let's take a look:

RangeGoalsAssistsPointsP/GP
2 years (164gp)2nd36th7th15th
5 years (401gp)2nd22nd6th8th
10 years (751gp)3rd 16th7th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*source: QuantHockey.com

tavares.jpg

In the last 10 years, the only players with more goals are:
  • Alex Ovechkin
  • Steven Stamkos

In the last 10 years, the only players with more points are:
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Patrick Kane
  • Alex Ovechkin
  • Claude Giroux
  • Steven Stamkos
  • Nicklas Backstrom

Take a look at that list. Can you name a player on that list who accomplished that with less help? Our Islander teams have been awful. The best players John Tavares has played with are (by P/GP in last 10 years for NYI players):
  • Thomas Vanek (only 47 gp)
  • Mathew Barzal (only 1 season)
  • PA Parentau
  • Matt Moulsen
  • Brad Boyes
  • Kyle Okposo
*source: NHL.com

Look at that list. Those were the best P/GP players that played for the Islanders with John over his last 10 seasons with our franchise. There is no Malkin, no Kessel, no Carlson or Backstrom, no Hedman or Kucherov, no Toews or Keith....PA Parentau and Matt Moulsen...

CONCLUSION

John Tavares has been an elite player his entire career. No one in his class of players (top scorers) over his career even come close to having as little support. Hockey is a team game, and point totals are heavily influenced by the talent around you.
  • John got overpaid
How can you call his contract an overpayment? Look at his goal scoring proficiency!
  • John never reached his potential
Finishing top 15 in the last decade with no help, and top 3 in goals. What more can you really expect from a player, even a #1 OA pick?
  • John wasn't a great #1 pick
See above.
  • John's career has been a letdown
This one is harder to answer. I remember an unbelievable amount of excitement when we drafted him. He didn't bring us a cup, and he left, so as an Islander...well, maybe you could say his time with us was a disappointment. We didn't give him any help.

However, as a player separate from the emotional aspect, I would say he's had a great career. One of the best goal scorers of the decade, and possibly of a generation. In the top 0.1% in terms of production.

John+Tavares+2009+NHL+Draft+Portraits+riPTQR3Twsml.jpg
Aren't you a leaf fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad