OT: The Music Thread: Side B - B Sides and Otherwise

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
To celebrate 716 Day I got a $16 ticket via TickPick to see the Goo Goo Dolls in Bridgeport on August 12th.
Crazy enough heard this song at a restaurant on Friday.

100.7 FM in Raleigh at one point had a format that played a lot minor hits from 80s/90s/00s acts like the Goo Goo Dolls. It's how I knew "Sympathy" along with other songs like these

Reactions: sabremike

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm sad because I finally reached the age where I'm getting blank stares back from the younger generation when discussing bands/songs that I feel everyone should (at the very least) have heard of.

I mean, Skynard and Hootie songs still get airtime on the radio today, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable to assume the problem is the younger generation in this case :wally:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm sad because I finally reached the age where I'm getting blank stares back from the younger generation when discussing bands/songs that I feel everyone should (at the very least) have heard of.

I mean, Skynard and Hootie songs still get airtime on the radio today, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable to assume the problem is the younger generation in this case :wally:

My first mission trip as a youth consoluer was to Columbia. We showed the kids the Hootie and the Blowfish monument in Five Points. Some of them had no clue. I said something like they were the biggest band in 1995, then I remembered the oldest kids were born in 99 or 2000. This was 2017 by the way.

Crazy enough though this current crop of High Schoolers seem to like a lot of older stuff. They were singing Totos Africa word for word on a van trip once.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The worst part of life is going through a store and hearing something you listened to as a kid play on their Musak, when you thought it was edgy when you were young. Case in point heard 2 songs from Zack Wyldes book of Shadows in Kmart one day. Yes it was awhile ago

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This was always my favorite when making the 8 hour drive home from grad school at Christmas time:

Followed closely by:

So like with Die Hard, there's a debate about whether or not Same Old Lang Syne is a Christmas tune.

I'm going to say for arguments sake, yes, and that's simply because as someone who still listens to radio and has been doing so for years, it's a tune I hear more often than not at Christmas time (though I know it was one of Dan's most notable songs).

So if the radio "says" it's a Christmas tune, who am I to say the radio is wrong?

Reactions: LakeLivin

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So like with Die Hard, there's a debate about whether or not Same Old Lang Syne is a Christmas tune.

I'm going to say for arguments sake, yes, and that's simply because as someone who still listens to radio and has been doing so for years, it's a tune I hear more often than not at Christmas time (though I know it was one of Dan's most notable songs).

So if the radio "says" it's a Christmas tune, who am I to say the radio is wrong?

The first two lines are:
Met my old lover in the grocery store
The snow was falling Christmas Eve

As you note, it does seem to get significantly more airplay around Christmas time. But for me it much more emotionally evokes the Christmas season than Die Hard.

I hadn't realized that the song is autobiographical. Fogleberg really did run into an old high school girlfriend at one of the only stores still open one Christmas Eve when they both went back home to visit. He went out to get whipped cream for Irish coffees and she was sent out by her mom to get eggnog. And they did end up drinking a six pack in her car. How cool is that?

Reactions: HisIceness

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
These guys are coming to Cat's Cradle in June. I definitely plan to go. IMO maybe the truest example of prodigies to come out of the English rock scene in recent years. Welcome to Hell, Sun/Tzu, and John L (pronounced John Fifty; L is the Roman numeral for 50) are particularly fantastic songs from them.

Link to their live set in San Diego last year:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad