OT: The Music Thread: Side B - B Sides and Otherwise

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Last one was over 40 so time for a new one. Anyone go to any good concerts lately? I went to check out Ben Folds at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts last week and Ben's as good as he ever was. I also had a major "I"m getting old" moment when he mentioned his son, Louis (who "Still Fighting It" was written for) is 22 now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Last one was over 40 so time for a new one. Anyone go to any good concerts lately? I went to check out Ben Folds at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts last week and Ben's as good as he ever was. I also had a major "I"m getting old" moment when he mentioned his son, Louis (who "Still Fighting It" was written for) is 22 now.

Ouch.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Just because I just saw the movie but Im in love with my car was the B side to Bohemian Rhapsody. Great movie by the way.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

James Taylor and Jackson Brown Friday night in Gboro

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Saw Judas Priest w/Sabaton in Charlotte back in September, rescheduled from last year due to COVID. Good thing it was early in the tour because 2 weeks later they had to postpone the remainder of the tour after guitarist Faulkner (who's like 45) suffered "acute cardiac aortic dissection" while playing, finished the set, and then had like a 10 hr surgery

Also, if anyone is looking for a newer "traditional" style metal band (or nerdy metal), I highly recommend Eternal Champion

Reactions: hockeynjune

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Last concert for me was Train w/ OAR and Natasha Bedingfield in 2017 so it's been, damn creeping up on 5 years now.
I haven’t been to a concert in ages, either. I think my last one was Colin Hay (from Men at Work) and the Violent Femmes opening for the Barenaked Ladies all the way back on the Fourth of July in 2015.

Reactions: HisIceness

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Also anybody else going to the 2-night festival Sylvan Esso's putting on/headlining at Durham Athletic Park in May?

244777179_423558602462433_1891368719300511399_n.jpeg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hell yeah. Saw the Beach Boys during their Pet Sounds 50th anniversary. Brian's voice is totally shot, but sentimentally it was an amazing experience to see the legend himself live. Totally worth whatever stupid price my ex paid to get us to see the show. Lovely show.

My last concert was Caique Vidal and Batuque. He is a Brazilian from the Bahian region and he brings the Bahian big-band style show to the triangle. It was a fantastic concert and anyone who is into the music down south ought to check him out next time. He has a fun and charismatic personality too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think my last "concert" was Robert Earl Keen's Christmas show in Durham Dec 2019, right before Covid hit.

I've been to live music at a few outdoor venues (local performers) this summer a few times, but haven't had a chance to catch a concert yet.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I haven't been to concert since I saw Weird Al when I was still living in Tennessee but if anyone hasn't ever seen him live I can't recommend it highly enough. Even if you're not a mega fan of his (which i totally am but understand its not for everyone) he puts on spectacular performances

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I haven't been to concert since I saw Weird Al when I was still living in Tennessee but if anyone hasn't ever seen him live I can't recommend it highly enough. Even if you're not a mega fan of his (which i totally am but understand its not for everyone) he puts on spectacular performances
He played Koka Booth a few years ago. 20 minutes in and cancelled as a storm blew in which sucked. Not a big fan but he does put on a hell of a fun show.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Never been a shag guy but did see them at The Pavillion in AB on occasion and went to their club a couple times in my younger years.

I was actually good friends with Jackie's Daughters. I met Bobby through the car world.
Love the music (native nc requirement) don't dance though. People would be injured.

Reactions: LostInaLostWorld

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Co-signed. I saw him probably 15 years ago at Raleigh Memorial and it was a f***ing bop.

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Was Dorton a good concert venue? Seems like the lower ceiling would be good for acoustics.

According to Wikipedia, acts like Prince, KISS, Bon Jovi, and The Supremes among others performed there. Never knew that.

I saw Foghat there. 76 I think. Don’t really remember the acoustics though, or much else.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Was Dorton a good concert venue? Seems like the lower ceiling would be good for acoustics.

According to Wikipedia, acts like Prince, KISS, Bon Jovi, and The Supremes among others performed there. Never knew that.
Acoustics sucked but it was the only place to for concerts other than Reynolds (who hardly had any back then). Caught the Supremes as well as this one in 69 (and others).

dorton-nc.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad