OT: The Music Thread Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Carlos is excellent. My first concert ever was Santana (with Linda Ronstadt opening) at the old Boston Garden.

Sounds like he is OK...Thankfully

Seems like just a moment ago. So a few friends, we biked over to this place in West Hurley, NY called Oehler's Mt Lodge. We met a bunch of older friends who drove. This was 1976. We get to the soccer field and everyone is wearing white, looking like druids and meditating.

My friend has a Guitar Player magazine with Carlos Santana on the cover. We hang out, doing what you do . . .Sri Chinmoy was there and sitar music was playing. It was a bit much for this pre-teen, but we see this guy with a guitar and small amp walking our way. Carlos sits down with us, signs my friends mag, and we all just talked a bit, my first time meditating (w/Carlos) . . . just a cool experience that at that age, I could not come close to appreciating, but is as vivid a memory as I have.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My first,Allman Brothers headlined backed up by the Eagles 1974. At about midnight Gregg said the last train was leaving North Station but they were playing all night!!!

Fast forward 40 years to J Geils opening for Bob Seger,Geils blew the house down and Seger had to raise his usual brilliance to a higher level.

Many in between-Alice Cooper,Bad Company,The Who,Stones, a couple of more Segers at the Garden and one that got away-Led Zeppelin,had 2 tickets but a ticket day riot got it canceled

Reactions: Ladyfan

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
How about memorable concerts theme...difficult to find but I was there. :)

I was there as well, not sure if you remember but there was an unrelated Neil Young running for the NDP in the Beaches that year and a bunch of people absconded with his campaign signs and were waving them around. Almost got whacked in the head a few times, lol.
Saw the Who at their 'final concert' as well in December of '82 and have seen them 5 times since, ha. Won't Get Fooled Again!

aguineapig

A Goffin/King composition dedicated to the B's scouting dept.

The Byrds made it sound easy takin' a ride with Captain America and Billy

Still covering it 50 years later

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Saw Roger Waters at the Garden last night,little more than an anti American indoctrination rally. All that great music ruined by a constant barrage of his politics.

It’s anti-fascist.

Waters has gotten called anti everything under the sun. His work (all the way back to his stuff in the early 70s…not sure why it’s seemingly just being figured out now) is a brash critique of social/political systems.

The funny thing is…if you’re someone with political beliefs, you’re likely going after the same ideologies and systems he is in your own way. But you just express it differently and toward different figureheads.

I don’t understand how people ever listened to albums like The Wall, Animals or The Final Cut and are surprised by how he’s applying his beliefs to modern times. They haven’t changed much.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Saw Roger Waters at the Garden last night,little more than an anti American indoctrination rally. All that great music ruined by a constant barrage of his politics.
Seems like that would be more of a you problem than anything, IMO. Anyone who has paid attention over the years is fully aware that his shows are very much a reflection of his views and those he has for the current climate of this country.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Seems like that would be more of a you problem than anything, IMO. Anyone who has paid attention over the years is fully aware that his shows are very much a reflection of his views and those he has for the current climate of this country.
No one that I spoke to and had seen his prior shows,including longtime Garden ushers had ever seen this barrage of American hate from him. Constant,in your face hatred of everything,from Reagan to Obama to Biden. Our country may be divided,but he hates ALL of it. But not one word of his own homeland from the angry,insane Brit.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

It’s anti-fascist.

Waters has gotten called anti everything under the sun. His work (all the way back to his stuff in the early 70s…not sure why it’s seemingly just being figured out now) is a brash critique of social/political systems.

The funny thing is…if you’re someone with political beliefs, you’re likely going after the same ideologies and systems he is in your own way. But you just express it differently and toward different figureheads.

I don’t understand how people ever listened to albums like The Wall, Animals or The Final Cut and are surprised by how he’s applying his beliefs to modern times. They haven’t changed much.
As I already said,he attacked Reagan,Clinton,Bush,Obama,Trump,Biden.Hates everything American,and wasn't just a little speech here and there,it was a continuous and constant berating of America. He's full of hate and blathered on about the rich too,of which he's one. Maybe he has a show rigged for every country he visits. The show sucked,and many people just hung out in the hallways or left the building. The only thing I got from it is I hate him.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No one that I spoke to and had seen his prior shows,including longtime Garden ushers had ever seen this barrage of American hate from him. Constant,in your face hatred of everything,from Reagan to Obama to Biden. Our country may be divided,but he hates ALL of it. But not one word of his own homeland from the angry,insane Brit.
I've never seen him and really wouldn't because it's not my cup of tea (like the music but I don't want to hear anyone's political beliefs for hours when I'm paying to be entertained). But even with me having no interest, I was well aware of what his shows entailed. I'm honestly surprised you and your friends were unaware. I mean he had floating blimps of a specific political figure dressed like a baby last tour that circled the stage the entire show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad