OT: The Music Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
was turned onto his music years ago, I invited a dude who moved into the same building I was living in years ago to a little gathering at my place, he was from Australia, introduced me to Paul Kelly music, fantastic artist
Paul Kelly is fantastic. Never saw him live but his releases are top stuff.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Got me some
Brantley Gilbert tickets
October 16th 7:30
St. Augustine Amphitheater
St. Augustine, Florida
Section 101 row B seats 26 & 28

aguineapig

H%2BThe-Rolling-Stones---Between-The-Buttons---Booklet3.jpg

Charlie did the cartoon on the back cover of Between the Buttons. This tune had the"swing" Charlie loved.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I dunno, I like the Stones, love lots of their tunes, no way would I put myself into the category as a hardcore fan. I`ll get hammered here for this but it`s always bugged me that they just kept rolling out there, year after year on tour without having released not just new material from time to time, but new material that was good. It`s why I always loved Petty and the Heartbreakers. Always felt like one massive money grab to me with the Stones and I contributed but did so about 20 years ago, great show but that was good enough for me

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I dunno, I like the Stones, love lots of their tunes, no way would I put myself into the category as a hardcore fan. I`ll get hammered here for this but it`s always bugged me that they just kept rolling out there, year after year on tour without having released not just new material from time to time, but new material that was good. It`s why I always loved Petty and the Heartbreakers. Always felt like one massive money grab to me with the Stones and I contributed but did so about 20 years ago, great show but that was good enough for me

Honestly the Stones haven't put out a good album since the late 80s.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I hear what you're saying however the stones have more than doubled the number of albums produced in studio compared to that of Petty. All quality and doesn't take into consideration the solo stuff etc...

Their most recent album in 2020 was pretty darn good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hear what you're saying however the stones have more than doubled the number of albums produced in studio compared to that of Petty. All quality and doesn't take into consideration the solo stuff etc...

Their most recent album in 2020 was pretty darn good.
sorry, doubling output doesn`t mean great quality , when was their last album of original material? Had to be mid 2000`s, can`t recall the full name of the album, had Bang in the title, I dunno, every band tosses out remasters and a few live one`s, just so much talent in the Stones, to expect more original material I don`t think is too much of an ask. Ghost Town or something along those lines was around 2019/20, thought it was ok

aguineapig

I remember going to a Bruins old timers game years ago up here in Portland. The local Firefighters and High School All Stars were the opposition. The game was close until Kenny Linseman decided to play keep away with the puck. He had these Airplane goggles on and he would cut and weave and lay a saucer pass and Nifty Middleton would dip and doodle and put it past the goalie. He scored one where he kicked the puck from his skate to his forehand and roofed a shot into the top corner, my son couldn't believe it.
These old Rock bands are sort of like that, a Greatest Hits of memories. Sometimes looking back and smiling at them is just enough to make it through another day. Because time isn't this anymore.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
sorry, doubling output doesn`t mean great quality , when was their last album of original material? Had to be mid 2000`s, can`t recall the full name of the album, had Bang in the title, I dunno, every band tosses out remasters and a few live one`s, just so much talent in the Stones, to expect more original material I don`t think is too much of an ask. Ghost Town or something along those lines was around 2019/20, thought it was ok

True but I would venture to say Stones have doubled quality output over a Petty. No doubt in my mind the pecking order of all time rock bands is something like this .... Stones are just so friggin good.

Beatles followed by Stones....

The Stones have reinvented themselves over and over throughout their careers. I was not a Stones fan until my late 20's. I didn't fully appreciate how good they were performing live and the quality of material they produced IMO ... was second to to the Beatles...

Of course musical taste and influences play a major factor in any music debate...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad