OT: The Music Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
HooperDrives

I’ve been on these boards since 2007 and everyone seems to love Tom Petty. In honor of the greatest American songwriter of all time (sorry Lou Reed, sorry Bob Dylan, sorry no one else, because Tom Petty has no equals) but here are the top 25 Tom Petty songs from someone who has seen him numerous times live and knows he’s the George Harrison of American music (which has its own implications)...

---------------

IMO music is too subjective / personal. You can't call any one artist the greatest.

I can provide a long list of American song-writers ... not certain Tom would have made the list. But all good. To each his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@HooperDrivesTheBoat

One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Tom Petty. One of my roommates from college was a huge Petty fan and had an extra ticket so I went. I like Petty and had a slew of his albums but I had never seen him live. I'm so happy I did because of his untimely passing recently, and his show was tremendous. He played for over 3 hours, played every hit he had, and nobody left upset that he didn't get to their favorite song. It was really funny because he came out with no opening act, took the stage, played a song said "whoa, thank you very much!!!" after he finished each song and people cheered, and then he launched into the next song. It was 3 hours of rapid fire Petty.

And for the record, I like your list but would have put Wildflowers higher. Easily my favorite song by him...:laugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
@HooperDrivesTheBoat

One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Tom Petty. One of my roommates from college was a huge Petty fan and had an extra ticket so I went. I like Petty and had a slew of his albums but I had never seen him live. I'm so happy I did because of his untimely passing recently, and his show was tremendous. He played for over 3 hours, played every hit he had, and nobody left upset that he didn't get to their favorite song. It was really funny because he came out with no opening act, took the stage, played a song said "whoa, thank you very much!!!" after he finished each song and people cheered, and then he launched into the next song. It was 3 hours of rapid fire Petty.

And for the record, I like your list but would have put Wildflowers higher. Easily my favorite song by him...:laugh:

A new to me old song is Nightwatchmen..Love it!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
HooperDrives

I’ve been on these boards since 2007 and everyone seems to love Tom Petty. In honor of the greatest American songwriter of all time (sorry Lou Reed, sorry Bob Dylan, sorry no one else, because Tom Petty has no equals) but here are the top 25 Tom Petty songs from someone who has seen him numerous times live and knows he’s the George Harrison of American music (which has its own implications)...

---------------

IMO music is too subjective / personal. You can't call any one artist the greatest.

I can provide a long list of American song-writers ... not certain Tom would have made the list. But all good. To each his own.
Love Tom. Saw him many times . he was excellent live.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
A traditional song (with multiple spellings) that was based on a murder in the 1890's. The man who took an up tempo version of it to the top of the Billboard charts in 1959 passed away today, RIP Lloyd Price. He also had a few other chart toppers that he penned - Lawdy Miss Clawdy & Personality.

My favorite version, done in a more traditional vein, by the under appreciated Taj Mahal

Last edited:

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
@HooperDrivesTheBoat

Wildflowers is awesome but I was a Petty acolyte before that album came out so I was enamored with his catalog pre-94.

My first concert was Petty in ‘91 at Nassau Coliseum. Chris Whitley opened and he was amazing. If you haven’t heard of him, check him out. He’s alt country and a sick guitarist. Living With The Law. Great album. He passed away as well.

I had tickets to see Petty at Forest Hills in Queens in July 2017. I was going to Ireland with my wife the day after so I gave the tickets away. I knew I’d get ossified if I went, so I decided to not go. He passed away that October so my decision was not good, though Galway was amazing.

Saw him 4 times total, at Jones Beach, MSG and SPAC in Saratoga. Blew me and everyone away each time.

Angel Dream No. 4 was my wedding song.

To Blowfish - you’re totally right. Best artists/music is subjective. I love hearing what other people think about music.

Last edited:

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Just saw the second question. lol

Mary Clayton.
:thumbu::thumbu: Figured the Merry Clayton backing vocals would be guessed pretty quickly but impressed with connecting Ed King, who was the 17 year old guitarist for the Strawberry Alarm Clock and one of the 3 headed ax attack in Skynyrd who wrote the signature riff and played the solo in the video above. Well Done sir!:thumbu::thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Acie

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Wildflowers is awesome but I was a Petty acolyte before that album came out so I was enamored with his catalog pre-94.

My first concert was Petty in ‘91 at Nassau Coliseum. Chris Whitley opened and he was amazing. If you haven’t heard of him, check him out. He’s alt country and a sick guitarist. Living With The Law. Great album. He passed away as well.

I had tickets to see Petty at Forest Hills in Queens in July 2017. I was going to Ireland with my wife the day after so I gave the tickets away. I knew I’d get ossified if I went, so I decided to not go. He passed away that October so my decision was not good, though Galway was amazing.

Saw him 4 times total, at Jones Beach, MSG and SPAC in Saratoga. Blew me and everyone away each time.

Angel Dream No. 4 was my wedding song.

To Blowfish - you’re totally right. Best artists/music is subjective. I love hearing what other people think about music.

Black Crowes double bill in '05? Amazing. Drove out for the weekend. Love the SPAC.

Saw Petty in the 90's as well. the jams are the best. Mike Campbell is just so damned good.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Heartwarming, heartbreaking and bitter sweet..Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell for Tom's 70th. They were together for over 50 years.

If you like some good piano listen to the last song. Also if you are a Petty fan you will notice that Mike sounds a bit like Tom when he sings. He rarely sang with the Heartbreakers.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The last TP concert my daughter went to Aug 23 2017. University of California Berkley. She took this photo. She had good seats.

Amanda saw Tom 4 times his last year. He was her favorite since she was 3 years old. She always loved music and when she was small I promised her that if she did well in school I would take her to a Summer Concert . When she was 7 she went to her first Tom Petty concert at Great Woods in MA.

21032483_10213757594723336_7262592107929252782_n.jpg

Last edited:

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Black Crowes double bill in '05? Amazing. Drove out for the weekend. Love the SPAC.

Saw Petty in the 90's as well. the jams are the best. Mike Campbell is just so damned good.

That must have been an awesome show. I love the Black Crowes first 3 albums.

I saw Petty at SPAC in summer of 95. Pete Droge opened for him. That show is when I realized, like you, that Mike Campbell is an amazing guitar player. I think it was his solo on Runnin Down A Dream. He extended it 2 minutes or so and I was awestruck.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That must have been an awesome show. I love the Black Crowes first 3 albums.

I saw Petty at SPAC in summer of 95. Pete Droge opened for him. That show is when I realized, like you, that Mike Campbell is an amazing guitar player. I think it was his solo on Runnin Down A Dream. He extended it 2 minutes or so and I was awestruck.
Some bands can't pull off a live show. Petty was always excellent.

I saw the Heartbreakers so many times. When they were with Bob Dylan it was so good I went to both shows (Great Woods). Dylan is moody and it can affect his performance but he looked like he was really enjoying himself with Tom and the boys.

aguineapig

Outside of Bobby Orr, the Greatest of anything is subject to debate and to a degree personal genre' preference. It's all good if it's all good. This player probably doesn't rate on too many Top 10 or maybe 100 lists even, but when Jake and Elwood wanted a picker this Blues Brother and his jumping eyebrows were at the top of their list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad