The most shocking hockey discovery you had in recent past

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Let's admit that the example you highlight is the extreme.

In most cases, the penalty and subsequent diving penalty is an "even up" call for a Ref that doesn't want to decide the game.

It's a quirk.

Just like the accepted practice of putting the whistle away in the 3rd period or OT. A penalty is usually only a penalty in the first period.

Embellishment is a subjective call. Check out the debate on Zetterberg's toe pick in this form.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/brutal-dive-by-zetterberg.2403123/page-6#post-137299967

All calls seem to be subjective calls now. Reffing in the NHL is getting terrible with so many missed obvious calls and inconsistent calls, but at the same time adding so many more borderline non infractions as penalties, that it is beginning to rival the NBA as the professional sport with the worst reffing. It's been garbage awful this year and last.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Like something you were 100% sure about and could bet your money on that turned out to be false or thinking you knew the game so well you were shocked to find out you didn’t know some simple stuff.

For me, I only recently discovered that a pass from defensive zone that ends up offside leads to face off in the defensive zone. I always thought offsides lead to neutral zone face off only
Betting against vegas to lose their game against Dallas. Lost all of my vcash, now I'm poverty struck with the 2g network for my phone... can't afford LTE nao.

:eek:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
All calls seem to be subjective calls now. Reffing in the NHL is getting terrible with so many missed obvious calls and inconsistent calls, but at the same time adding so many more borderline non infractions as penalties, that it is beginning to rival the NBA as the professional sport with the worst reffing. It's been garbage awful this year and last.

I think it's always been subjective. The puck over the glass type rule removes a little bit of this.

What I don't like about the penalty plus a dive is that it gives a massive open door to be neutral.

Just my two cents.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Over the past 3 seasons:

Jaccob Slavin is +25 in 155gp
Justin Faulk is -43 in 149gp

Playing on the same team. That's a differential of +68 in ~150 games - nearly half a goal a game difference.

Not sure if that counts as shocking but that's gotta be one of the largest discrepancies between two teammates, who both play huge roles on their team. I know people don't like +/- but over such a large sample of players on the same team, I have to think it's pretty telling.

Also not sure if that's more impressive from Slavin or more of an indictment of Faulk. Slavin has a created a pretty big gap between himself and the rest of the team, which is even more impressive considering how brutal his deployment has been.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...2018&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,25&sort=plusMinus

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
For a "defensive center" Sam Reinhart has a career 36% faceoff percentage.
That's laughable. Not the guy I want starting in my zone, taking faceoffs, defending a 1 goal lead.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Minnesota Wild's logo is actually the shape of a wild animal's face. I just thought it was an ugly weird logo with trees on it. Didn't recognize the outline before.

thumb.aspx

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah it's been pretty heavy handed this year so far, I've seen some shockingly bad calls.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
As far as shocking, none will rival an incident that involved a player named Abie Goldberry who played as a junior in Quebec back in 1930. He was carrying a box of matches in his pocket while playing in a game (who doesn’t?). When he was hit by a puck, the matches ignited, setting his uniform on fire. His teammates managed to put the fire out but not before he was badly burned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota Wild's logo is actually the shape of a wild animal's face. I just thought it was an ugly weird logo with trees on it. Didn't recognize the outline before.

thumb.aspx

I've always said it was one of the best logos but most people don't notice things like the river for a mouth (homage along with trees to their wilderness), the star for an eye (homage to formerly being the North Stars), etc.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
maybe 5 or 6 years ago I noticed that the goal judge in the glass box behind every net was removed. (to make room for 2 more seats I assume)

When did they get rid of the goal judge?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
maybe 5 or 6 years ago I noticed that the goal judge in the glass box behind every net was removed. (to make room for 2 more seats I assume)

When did they get rid of the goal judge?
because they should be making biased decisions on cases that support the feds

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I used to know what goaltender interference was. Then in the last year, I discovered I have no clue whatsoever.

I'm actually the opposite. I was very accurate last year at determining goalie interference calls.

Bottom line is this. It's actually a lot more simple than people think. Just don't over think it, and you'll understand perfectly. Just some advice, the rulebook when pertaining to goalie interference is just a guideline, and not the definite concrete law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad