The most shocking hockey discovery you had in recent past

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
I had not heard of the rule changes for coaches challenges until the Nsh vs Phi game earlier in the season (and I'm not sure I remember it 100% correctly at this point anyway). Was there any talk of it that I missed? Or did everyone kinda learn about it as the season moved along.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
- American headquartered
- All salaries in American dollars
- 78% of teams located in American cities
- Greatest number of total fans located in the United States
- American commissioner
- Majority American-owned
- Active expansion process for United States; none for any other country

But not an American league.

k.
Canadian teams make most of the money to allow American teams to exist?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
to play devils advocate here, there is a MAJOR difference between hockey as a sport, and what you are arguing. the NHL is a business. a business that sells a sport to fans. It is a business that was formed in 1917. it was formed in canada and had montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Quebec Bulldogs as the original teams.

The NHL now is an international business, whose roots originated in Canada, but does not "belong" to any country.

However I do still say canada owns hockey ;)
Indeed, I don't want get too much into it, because it will take this thread off topic, so this is the final thing I'll say on this. There were some Americans from another unrelated forum (not hockey related) who thought the NHL was an American created league, like the NBA or the NFL which is wrong. It's a Canadian created league, it's roots and history are Canadian, and it is shared now with the US by way of expansion. I found it shocking that they didn't know this, as they were hard core fans. Hence why I posted about that.

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
That Thornton had an N in it.

There was also that play in the Leafs game last season where Babcock didn't put a guy in the box for a 5 minute major and there wasn't a stoppage in play for over 7 minutes so the Leafs had to play that whole time shorthanded until a stoppage in play. Didn't realize you didn't need to put a guy in there for a five minute major.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
British roots within the Dominion of Canada. Its a Different game now to the one that was played back then in the old Dominion of Canada. But we should get off this topic now so as to not derail this thread.

canada is still a dominion.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
no politics or joke intended. just correcting you on a piece of trivia. look it up some time if interested.
tbt.gif

You're trying too hard man. Let it rest.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Probably not as “shocking” as others here but actually how much goes into making the ice game ready. All the tech used and how much it costs is one I suppose. The bill gets up there

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I found out recently that there are some American hockey fans that thought the NHL was an American league and didn't know it's origins.

I found it shocking as they were pretty hardcore fans that should have known better.

nope. NHA formed in Renfrew ontario. morphed into the NHL when all but one team decided they wanted rid of the last teams owner.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not recently....

When I was a kid I was very interested in hockey but had no source of information, growing up in the inner city in New Jersey hockey was non-existent in the late 70's and early 80's. So my mom got me a subscription to The Hockey News. They used list all the junior leagues scoring leaders and I would love to read every single stat and memorize them. So I was following Lafontaine and Mario Lemieux from the Q when they putting up absurd numbers through the pages of The Hockey News. That's all I had, couldn't actually see them play or know anything about them that wasn't written in The Hockey News.

There was an older guy on my block who knew a lot about hockey and I said to him "those French Canadians Lafontaine and Lemieux are amazing aren't they?"

He said Lafontaine is "American dumbass".

I said "but he plays for Verdun"

He said, "You think all the Jets are from New York"

I didn't believe him for a good 2 years lol.

Yeah not recently at all.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Got any definitions that make it a Canadian league other than history (meaningless in the current context - you might as well say Canada is still British because it was once a colony), or number of Canadian hockey players (again, meaningless - that would be like saying Tim Hortons is an Indian business because a majority of employees might be immigrants of that country)?

I cannot think of any other arguments that could be made in any way shape or form.

At the ABSOLUTE BEST, Canada is a 'minor partner', but certainly not an equivalent one.

it's a north American league whose origins are almost entirely canadian.

Reactions: Future GOAT

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
An exhaustively researched book published a couple of years back called "On the Origin of Hockey" makes a very strong case for hockey as we know it being "invented" if you will in Great Britain... The origins of hockey in Canada are at least academically first ascribed to have being played on March 3rd 1875 in Montreal, in that it was the first game recorded & published in a media report., played under what are called the Montreal Rules. Taken mainly from Field Hockey though physically & otherwise somewhat more resembling Rugger & Rugby, bit of Lacrosse thrown in for good measure.

Prior to that hockey in Canada & in the US (New England, Virginia & the Dakotas) is mentioned anecdotally in diaries, papers & novels going back to the early 1830's, sometimes referred to as "Shinny, Shinty, Ice Polo" and other names.... As for the NHL, it was formed in 1917 by member clubs of the NHA in order to divest themselves of an unwanted owner, the troublesome Eddie Livingstone of Toronto. Many historians make no differentiation between the NHA which was formed in 1909 to the NHL, just as many historians dont make any differentiation between WW1 & WW2, that the intervening years were merely a cessation of military hostilities only, that WW1 & 2 are but one war.

the earliest records they have of what they think was hockey are in the Halifax region I believe. they just recently discoveres some writings that led them to believe hcoeky may have been invented there in the early 1800s.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
the nhl does not own the stanley cup.

lord stanley of preston, at the time governor general of canada, presented the stanley cup in 1892 to be awarded to the champion hockey team in canada.

the cup is and always has been held in a canadian trust with two trustees. the trustees have a simple agreement with the nhl by which the nhl must look after the cup and may nominate the annual challengers, but the trustees can cancel the agreement and recover the cup if these choose. it is cancelled automatically if the nhl ceases to be the best hockey league in the world.

the trustees are required to be canadian. the two trustees are normally nominated by the hockey hall of fame, but the trustees themselves have the primary right to appoint their own successors.

in 1914, thanks to the requests of the portland rose buds, american teams were permitted by the trustees to challenge for the stanley cup, partly in recognition of the number of canadians playing for those teams.

yeah. and in the lockout they were considering opening it up to other leagues.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
That field hockey is so much larger world wide with far more players and fans than ice hockey.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
- American headquartered
- All salaries in American dollars
- 78% of teams located in American cities
- Greatest number of total fans located in the United States
- American commissioner
- Majority American-owned
- Active expansion process for United States; none for any other country

But not an American league.

k.
uhh, i highly doubt there are more total NHL fans in the US vs Canada. highly doubtful.

the number of registered junior players is higher in Canada.

the business side of it favours expansion further in the US because of the population. nothing more.

in fact, the revenue of Canadian teams probably beats the revenue of American ones. wouldn't surprise me.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I first really got into the NHL during the 2002 playoffs. Kind of first started becoming a fan during the Canes/Bruins 1999 playoff series.

First thing was, I was shocked to learn that the Red Wings and Blackhawks played in the West. I guess being a huge NBA fan all those years, it was a little weird for me, especially Detroit because I knew geographically they are almost in a straight line north from Charlotte, and because they are in the Eastern Time Zone.

Second, had no clue that the St. Louis Blues had never won a cup. I for some reason thought they were a dynasty in the 70's and 80's. Don't ask.

Speaking of the Blues, I think it was the 05-06 season when I discovered that Gretzky played for them during the latter part of the 1996 season including playoffs. Never knew that until an announcer pointed it out during some random game not involving them.

I guess 'recently' would involve the numerous expansion/relocation attempts in the 90's. Like the Devils to Nashville, Oilers to Houston, Whalers to Columbus, Hampton Roads Rhinos (lol).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Indeed, I don't want get too much into it, because it will take this thread off topic, so this is the final thing I'll say on this. There were some Americans from another unrelated forum (not hockey related) who thought the NHL was an American created league, like the NBA or the NFL which is wrong. It's a Canadian created league, it's roots and history are Canadian, and it is shared now with the US by way of expansion. I found it shocking that they didn't know this, as they were hard core fans. Hence why I posted about that.

Fun fact: the first NBA game ever was played in Toronto

[and I agree with you - that thought process annoys me as well although I don't want to take it any further here]

Reactions: Future GOAT

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
??? How is this confusing? If you get slashed its a penalty. If you get slashed and act like your family was murdered you embellished the penalty.

Let's admit that the example you highlight is the extreme.

In most cases, the penalty and subsequent diving penalty is an "even up" call for a Ref that doesn't want to decide the game.

It's a quirk.

Just like the accepted practice of putting the whistle away in the 3rd period or OT. A penalty is usually only a penalty in the first period.

Embellishment is a subjective call. Check out the debate on Zetterberg's toe pick in this form.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/brutal-dive-by-zetterberg.2403123/page-6#post-137299967

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Like something you were 100% sure about and could bet your money on that turned out to be false or thinking you knew the game so well you were shocked to find out you didn’t know some simple stuff.

For me, I only recently discovered that a pass from defensive zone that ends up offside leads to face off in the defensive zone. I always thought offsides lead to neutral zone face off only
When I was ten I argued that the penalized player stays in the box until the time is up, irregardless if the team scored on the power play.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad