The most shocking hockey discovery you had in recent past

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I read that a very early and primitive version was first played by British soldiers somewhere but not sure how accurate that is.
Is somewhat accurate. That's a primative version of the sport itself. Played on ice by British soldiers in the Dominion of Canada. I'm talking about the actual origin of the league though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
An exhaustively researched book published a couple of years back called "On the Origin of Hockey" makes a very strong case for hockey as we know it being "invented" if you will in Great Britain... The origins of hockey in Canada are at least academically first ascribed to have being played on March 3rd 1875 in Montreal, in that it was the first game recorded & published in a media report., played under what are called the Montreal Rules. Taken mainly from Field Hockey though physically & otherwise somewhat more resembling Rugger & Rugby, bit of Lacrosse thrown in for good measure.

Prior to that hockey in Canada & in the US (New England, Virginia & the Dakotas) is mentioned anecdotally in diaries, papers & novels going back to the early 1830's, sometimes referred to as "Shinny, Shinty, Ice Polo" and other names.... As for the NHL, it was formed in 1917 by member clubs of the NHA in order to divest themselves of an unwanted owner, the troublesome Eddie Livingstone of Toronto. Many historians make no differentiation between the NHA which was formed in 1909 to the NHL, just as many historians dont make any differentiation between WW1 & WW2, that the intervening years were merely a cessation of military hostilities only, that WW1 & 2 are but one war.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Probably the weirdest nhl fact that I learned came from a Cracked article. In the event of a disaster that claims the lives of a number of players (say a plane crash) they already have a system in place for replacing the players with players from other teams around the league. Was kind of grim and definitely not something I'd ever have given any thought to.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
- American headquartered
- All salaries in American dollars
- 78% of teams located in American cities
- Greatest number of total fans located in the United States
- American commissioner
- Majority American-owned
- Active expansion process for United States; none for any other country

But not an American league.

k.
It's not an American or Canadian hockey league; it's a North American hockey league. It was formed initially as a Canadian league. After multiple expansions, in spite of the United States having 10x the population of Canada, Canadian teams comprise roughly 1/3 of the league's total revenue. I'd argue that if all of the Canadian franchises were immediately dissolved, the league would have to contract from multiple US cities or seriously adjust player salaries.

The NHL would be a significantly lesser league if either of the two nations involved was removed from the partnership.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the nhl does not own the stanley cup.

lord stanley of preston, at the time governor general of canada, presented the stanley cup in 1892 to be awarded to the champion hockey team in canada.

the cup is and always has been held in a canadian trust with two trustees. the trustees have a simple agreement with the nhl by which the nhl must look after the cup and may nominate the annual challengers, but the trustees can cancel the agreement and recover the cup if these choose. it is cancelled automatically if the nhl ceases to be the best hockey league in the world.

the trustees are required to be canadian. the two trustees are normally nominated by the hockey hall of fame, but the trustees themselves have the primary right to appoint their own successors.

in 1914, thanks to the requests of the portland rose buds, american teams were permitted by the trustees to challenge for the stanley cup, partly in recognition of the number of canadians playing for those teams.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I was shock to learn that Tomas Plekanec still plays for the Montreal Canadiens. He's been missing for 2 years now...

Reactions: Future GOAT

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm a habs fan and I like to think of myself as being well versed in their history, but I just learned a couple weeks ago that the habs actually were the original team that drafted fetisov back in 1978.

I knew they drafted tretiak, but I had no idea about fetisov. On that note, was there any other team drafting Soviets in the 70s?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
hockey has historical British roots (i.e. the prince of wales trophy)
British roots within the Dominion of Canada. Its a Different game now to the one that was played back then in the old Dominion of Canada. But we should get off this topic now so as to not derail this thread.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I thought it would be easy/possible to support two (Canadian) teams (not in the same conference though) at the same level.... and the fanbases would also get along. Too much history negates the last part pretty much. Also with all the games playing (for me) at night times, the same level part is alsmost undoable.

Also I recently discovered a PP goal doesn't result for the players on the ice in a -1 (+- stats). I kinda would like the player getting the penalty (resulting in a goal) getting the -1...

Last edited:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I didn't know Craig MacTavish spent a year in prison during his playing days until last week.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Barring injury the following players have played 1000 NHL games or will probably play 1000 NHL games:

Nick Schultz
Matt Stajan
Sam Gagner
Kyle Brodziak
Daniel Winnik

Maybe even Luke Schenn

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I used to think people on hfboards were reasonably knowledgable about hockey.

Reading this thread, I'm not so sure anymore. Some of these discoveries are ... wow.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Without a doubt it's the lockouts. Or maybe moreso how readily they're an accepted outcome from difficult bargaining issues.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
British roots within the Dominion of Canada. Its a Different game now to the one that was played back then in the old Dominion of Canada. But we should get off this topic now so as to not derail this thread.

to play devils advocate here, there is a MAJOR difference between hockey as a sport, and what you are arguing. the NHL is a business. a business that sells a sport to fans. It is a business that was formed in 1917. it was formed in canada and had montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Quebec Bulldogs as the original teams.

The NHL now is an international business, whose roots originated in Canada, but does not "belong" to any country.

However I do still say canada owns hockey ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad