The most shocking hockey discovery you had in recent past

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Like something you were 100% sure about and could bet your money on that turned out to be false or thinking you knew the game so well you were shocked to find out you didn’t know some simple stuff.

For me, I only recently discovered that a pass from defensive zone that ends up offside leads to face off in the defensive zone. I always thought offsides lead to neutral zone face off only

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I thought OT was 4-on-4 up until the Leafs had their first OT game this season...

:huh:

Edit for clarity: this is something I seemed to had forgotten over the offseason, rather than something I always believed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I wouldn't exactly call it a "discovery" but I recently read the rule book and learned that there is actually a rule about a team that "refuses to start" the game, and there is actually a mechanism in place to force NHL teams to forfeit games.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I found out recently that there are some American hockey fans that thought the NHL was an American league and didn't know it's origins.

I found it shocking as they were pretty hardcore fans that should have known better.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I used to know what goaltender interference was. Then in the last year, I discovered I have no clue whatsoever.

Welcome to Detroit's world. Holmstrom got in there so much that refs would miss legit goalie interference and call non goalie interference.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I found out recently that there are some American hockey fans that thought the NHL was an American league and didn't know it's origins.

I found it shocking as they were pretty hardcore fans that should have known better.

Welcome to America!

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

- American headquartered
- All salaries in American dollars
- 78% of teams located in American cities
- Greatest number of total fans located in the United States
- American commissioner
- Majority American-owned
- Active expansion process for United States; none for any other country

But not an American league.

k.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
- American headquartered
- All salaries in American dollars
- 78% of teams located in American cities
- Greatest number of total fans located in the United States
- American commissioner
- Majority American-owned
- Active expansion process for United States; none for any other country

But not an American league.

k.

That doesn't rewrite history. Still a
Canadian league. Some of our banks are American headquartered, doesn't change the fact they are still Canadian banks.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The illegal line change (no penalty) vs "too many men" (actual penalty) continues to stump me to this day.

Also don't get how you can call a penalty and a penalty for diving on the same play.

I never understand why people don't get the 2nd one. These things are not mutually exclusive. Let's take an extreme example to prove the point. I take my stick and smack you in the face with it. Clearly high sticking. You not only throw your head back, but you jump up in the air, throw your gloves off, and land on your side while grabbing your neck like you are suffocating and roll around on the ground. That would be diving.

It's actually pretty common that someone commits an infraction while the other person is embellishing it further to make sure it is called. Just because you dive around doesn't negate the fact that I high sticked you.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I thought OT was 4-on-4 up until the Leafs had their first OT game this season...

:huh:

Edit for clarity: this is something I seemed to had forgotten over the offseason, rather than something I always believed.

No idea why, but I had the same thing happened to me this summer. When we first went to OT during pre-season camp, I couldn't remember if it was 3-on-3 or 4-on-4. It was weird.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
That doesn't rewrite history. Still a
Canadian league. Some of our banks are American headquartered, doesn't change the fact they are still Canadian banks.

It's an American league by every definition.

Do not kid yourself, this is the MLB if there were 6 more Blue Jays teams.

Every decision is made in favour of American interest, American fans, American cities, American TV dollars.

Canada has one pro league it can call its own: the CFL. Everything else we are just riding along in an American league.

That's just the reality of it.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
It's an American league by every definition.

Do not kid yourself, this is the MLB if there were 6 more Blue Jays teams.

Every decision is made in favour of American interest, American fans, American cities, American TV dollars.

Canada has one pro league it can call its own: the CFL. Everything else we are just riding along in an American league.

That's just the reality of it.
It's not an American league by every definition.
You know what I'm talking about don't be silly.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Went to the first Wings/Bolts game this year and stumbled upon the NHL's new fetish for throwing people out of the face-off.

... And let me tell you, it kills the game.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
I never understand why people don't get the 2nd one. These things are not mutually exclusive. Let's take an extreme example to prove the point. I take my stick and smack you in the face with it. Clearly high sticking. You not only throw your head back, but you jump up in the air, throw your gloves off, and land on your side while grabbing your neck like you are suffocating and roll around on the ground. That would be diving.

It's actually pretty common that someone commits an infraction while the other person is embellishing it further to make sure it is called. Just because you dive around doesn't negate the fact that I high sticked you.

I don't think people are referring to those extreme examples though. I think people are referring to the fact that 90% of the time they call a penalty on both instead of just on the one person who exaggerated when there wasn't enough for a penalty in the first place.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think people are referring to those extreme examples though. I think people are referring to the fact that 90% of the time they call a penalty on both instead of just on the one person who exaggerated when there wasn't enough for a penalty in the first place.

Well, not really. The post I quoted and when you often hear people complaining about this, it's always: "I have no idea how they can cal both. It's one or the other." Or some form of that.

There's clearly 3 possibilities, each of which is plenty reasonable to happen.
1) Penalty committed. No dive. Obviously the most common.
2) No penalty committed and the player just dove. Surely happens.
3) A penalty committed AND the player dove to further sell it. Surely happens as well.

My point was that committing a penalty and diving are not mutually exclusive. No one should be surprised when both are called simultaneously because it's certainly in the realm of reality.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
It's not an American league by every definition.
You know what I'm talking about don't be silly.
Got any definitions that make it a Canadian league other than history (meaningless in the current context - you might as well say Canada is still British because it was once a colony), or number of Canadian hockey players (again, meaningless - that would be like saying Tim Hortons is an Indian business because a majority of employees might be immigrants of that country)?

I cannot think of any other arguments that could be made in any way shape or form.

At the ABSOLUTE BEST, Canada is a 'minor partner', but certainly not an equivalent one.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Well, not really. The post I quoted and when you often hear people complaining about this, it's always: "I have no idea how they can cal both. It's one or the other." Or some form of that.

There's clearly 3 possibilities, each of which is plenty reasonable to happen.
1) Penalty committed. No dive. Obviously the most common.
2) No penalty committed and the player just dove. Surely happens.
3) A penalty committed AND the player dove to further sell it. Surely happens as well.

My point was that committing a penalty and diving are not mutually exclusive. No one should be surprised when both are called simultaneously because it's certainly in the realm of reality.

Honestly i don't think its an attempt to bring up a valid point. I think its the same argument conspiracy theory nerds make and think they are clever.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Got any definitions that make it a Canadian league other than history (meaningless in the current context - you might as well say Canada is still British because it was once a colony), or number of Canadian hockey players (again, meaningless - that would be like saying Tim Hortons is an Indian business because a majority of employees might be immigrants of that country)?

I cannot think of any other arguments that could be made in any way shape or form.

At the ABSOLUTE BEST, Canada is a 'minor partner', but certainly not an equivalent one.
Where is the NHL from? The answer is one word a particular country. Anything else and your just trolling.

Reactions: TheMule93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad