The Most "Meh" Hockey Player 2017 edition

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
My yearly reminder that Matt Stajan is in the league.

I didn't know that Higgins is still in the league. :nod::laugh:

Lander is probably that guy for the Oil but he's at least good on the PK and faceoffs. Otherwise he's totally unremarkable and is your classic call up guy.

crossicepass

Sep 7, 2008
Eric Fehr seems like the Pens closest option for that so far this season, but I don't think he fits it particularly well as he does have size (which he doesn't use a ton) and some strengths that have clear value.

He's good on the PK as well. Am of the opinion that nobody on the Pens is 'meh'

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Lol no. Andrew Shaw has been everything the Habs had hoped for and a major upgrade on Lars Eller.

Yeah this...and I liked Eller...people *****ing about Shaw have unrealistic expectations.

Habs meh entry...Joel Hanley...not really good at anything.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Sergei Kalinin fits the bill. Not good offensively, not good defensively, not physical even though he is 6'4", not good on special teams, not good corsi, not good at virtually anything, but still plays

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Ben Chiarot from the Jets, I guess. He's just about passable as a bottom pairing defenseman, and nothing more.

He rarely has a bad night, mostly because his good nights aren't all that different. If his performances were rated and then put on a diagram, you would see something very close to a straight line. There's nothing that stands out in his game either, so aside from his heavy body checks, you won't see him on a highlight reel. Well, forget the checks. You just won't see him there.

I think he's a pretty reliable for a #6 defenseman. Admittedly, he isn't mistake-free, but then again, who is (other than Lidstrom). Everyone does them, and what you can expect from Chiarot is nothing more or less than from your average bottom-pairing dweller. He does the job, but sometimes, someone else does his job better, and that results in a goal. You can now close your eyes and picture the rage of HFJets game discussion threads.

You'll get an occasional point out of him, and he is somewhat physical. Sounds very average for the player of his type. He does some PKing, although he may lose that spot for Morrissey (if he hasn't already, I'm not completely sure). Offensively, he has little to offer.

In my eyes, Ben Chiarot is a guy who doesn't hurt the team, but you can't expect him to get you those extra points. He does the job we need him to, sometimes with varying success, and then skates to the bench just to repeat the same routine in the next shift. That's very average, but at the same time, it's what you can ask for from him. As long as he keeps doing just that, he is OK.

Ben Chiarot is one of the worst defensemen in the league.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Nestrasil might be another. He was a good fill in guy in my keeper but only as a last option. Seems he's lost his job this year after being a top nine guy the last two in Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad