The Most "Meh" Hockey Player 2017 edition

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the most average player needs to be average everywhere.

Pyatt is one of the fastest player in the league (Or at least he was with the Habs)

Wiercoch is huge and has a really good shot

So both of them would be disqualified.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Tom Pyatt has been fine...Calling Weircoch huge is funny because he's like 160 lol

Although I would nominate Chris Kelly, just because his best skill seems to be positioning and the coaches just love the guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tom Pyatt is anything but meh. Guy will hit 40 goals this season, book it.

I nominate Brian Flynn, the ultimate "warm body" player

I would've nominated him also, last year.

But man, this year so far he's been buzzing around and creating chances left and right, I don't know what is happening.

I used to absolutely loathe him,but now ? Damn I kinda like him, and my hate for players is usually really deep rooted (Looking at you Desharnay:rant:)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Jacob Josefson, Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelley, Sergei Kalinin.

Ben Lovejoy and Beau Bennett aren't far off either. I like Bennett, but he's looking like he's trying to be a Corsi-padder by throwing pucks at the net all the time. For a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman like Lovejoy, being "meh" is kind of a good thing. Problem is the Devils can't play him where he should be or with a puck-moving partner that he needs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lance Bouma might get his hat in the ring here.

Just kind of 'meh', lost his roster spot to 25 year old rookie (sometimes). Just kind of... there. Plays some PK, where he blocks some shots. 5v5 spends a lot of time in his own zone. Had a 16 goal season two years back, will be lucky to crack 10 again in his career. 4th line grinder who only you only notice when he gets a slap-shot off the hand and you get to thinking 'my God, that has to hurt'.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Oscar Lindberg

He literally does nothing particularly well nor does he have one discernable attribute...he's not fast or slow, strong or weak, he's not stone handed or soft

Not saying he's bad as when he's on his game he can be pretty effective. I'm just not sure exactly what his game is

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
This is almost exactly how I remember people describing Nick Spaling back when he was with the Pens. Didn't particularly hurt us anywhere, but didn't excel in anything or show any particular spark or ability to create anything other than the safe, standard play. Eric Fehr seems like the Pens closest option for that so far this season, but I don't think he fits it particularly well as he does have size (which he doesn't use a ton) and some strengths that have clear value.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Last year I would have been inclined to nominate Letestu, but he really worked hard last offseason and has been drastically better this year.

For me, it doesn't get any more obvious than Chris Vandevelde. He's not good offensively. He's not good defensively. He's not a good skater. He's not good on the draw. He's not overly physical. Literally, he isn't good at anything. He's just a warm body to fill a spot in the lineup. He's not so atrocious that he stands out (guys like Orr and MacIntyre), but he's also not a player that you actually want out on the ice regardless of situation

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ben Chiarot from the Jets, I guess. He's just about passable as a bottom pairing defenseman, and nothing more.

He rarely has a bad night, mostly because his good nights aren't all that different. If his performances were rated and then put on a diagram, you would see something very close to a straight line. There's nothing that stands out in his game either, so aside from his heavy body checks, you won't see him on a highlight reel. Well, forget the checks. You just won't see him there.

I think he's a pretty reliable for a #6 defenseman. Admittedly, he isn't mistake-free, but then again, who is (other than Lidstrom). Everyone does them, and what you can expect from Chiarot is nothing more or less than from your average bottom-pairing dweller. He does the job, but sometimes, someone else does his job better, and that results in a goal. You can now close your eyes and picture the rage of HFJets game discussion threads.

You'll get an occasional point out of him, and he is somewhat physical. Sounds very average for the player of his type. He does some PKing, although he may lose that spot for Morrissey (if he hasn't already, I'm not completely sure). Offensively, he has little to offer.

In my eyes, Ben Chiarot is a guy who doesn't hurt the team, but you can't expect him to get you those extra points. He does the job we need him to, sometimes with varying success, and then skates to the bench just to repeat the same routine in the next shift. That's very average, but at the same time, it's what you can ask for from him. As long as he keeps doing just that, he is OK.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Troy Brouwer. Guy does nothing above average. Can't believe we're paying him what we are.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Lance Bouma might get his hat in the ring here.

Just kind of 'meh', lost his roster spot to 25 year old rookie (sometimes). Just kind of... there. Plays some PK, where he blocks some shots. 5v5 spends a lot of time in his own zone. Had a 16 goal season two years back, will be lucky to crack 10 again in his career. 4th line grinder who only you only notice when he gets a slap-shot off the hand and you get to thinking 'my God, that has to hurt'.

Bouma hasn't been meh, he's been a liability tbh

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jacob Josefson, Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelley, Sergei Kalinin.

Ben Lovejoy and Beau Bennett aren't far off either. I like Bennett, but he's looking like he's trying to be a Corsi-padder by throwing pucks at the net all the time. For a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman like Lovejoy, being "meh" is kind of a good thing. Problem is the Devils can't play him where he should be or with a puck-moving partner that he needs.

Yeah we're full of meh players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad