Recalled/Assigned: The Morin Rockford Shuttle Tracker (Down - 11/26)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Exactly. The Pirri detractors were going full rabble about how he had to earn his way up to the second line. He did.

I was one of them, and I agree. But I don't recall seeing any posts in this thread saying Pirri hasn't earned it and that they support Zeus at 2nd line C. (one was speculation of what Q may be thinking). Not 1.

SLarmer28*

Now Handzus (who nearly everyone admits has been brutal this year) gets the #2C spot despite not contributing anything all season.
Why doesn't Handzus have to earn it? Pirri didn't do anything to lose that spot, and was producing very well and getting the job done. It's senseless. Respect for veterans is understandable but there needs to be a point where you do what's best for the team. Putting a slug in Pirri's spot isn't that. Even if it's an experienced slug.
Time to reunite Toews and Kane since Kane does not deserve to be saddled with "ole man winter" on the second line.

Last edited by a moderator:

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
People seem to forget when we didn't win Cups between these two we had Monty on W for PP for some ****ing reason, among other weird ideas.

This is my viewpoint 100%. Q has done a lot of good things for the Hawks, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes and that some of those mistakes haven't hurt the team.

I fully believe Q is a great coach, but I don't think he is the only coach that could have won with the teams he has been given and the way the 11-12 team was handled was a ****ing travesty. What worries me is that he has gotten back into some of his bad habits that he didn't do as much last year.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I would disagree. From what I remember about your posts, you say that Q's decisions are above reproach because either:
1) Two Cups
2) Hawks won the last game

I like Q, and think he's a good coach. I am just completely at a loss to come up with any any reason why he would think that Handzus is a good fit at #2 center, or that Brookbank is a good candidate to play on the wing against a non-physical team.

From my perspective, I thought that Pirri was at least decent defensively, and he would make some nice hustle/backchecking plays. Maybe Q is sending a message to Pirrii, or just experimenting with line combinations to see what works.

EDIT: Good post by C PA fan in #201. Just want to respond that this board seems to be utterly incapable of any sort of moderate position. Either Q is completely above reproach for any number of bad decisions based on Cups & current W/L record, or he's a moron who should be fired. I really wish I knew the real reason to why Q thinks that Handzus is a good candidate for #2C, or Brookbank for #3RW.

Don't put words in my mouth. Some of you guys think its fun to gang up.

I have never said Q's decisions are above reproach, go back and find where I said that. Why the hell would I say that? I said that calling him idiotic when you look at his record is way off. I don't agree with everything he does, far from it. I would like to see Pirri on the 2nd line full time, Morin playing more, Bollig passing out towels. But looking at how we are winning and Q's success I am not going to call him idiotic for doing some things that in spite of me wanting him to go a different way are proving successful. What leg do people have to stand on calling him idiotic when yes, he has won 2 cups and is 17-4-4 this season? You can disagree with some of his decisions, but you can't argue his success.

Ok, time to gang up on me again!

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
And in spite of what people think, we do not have the talent the we SHOULD win a cup every single year. I don't care what talent you have, winning every single year is completely unrealistic. How many sports teams in the past have been heavily made up of all stars that don't win? I agree we have the core talent to contend every year, but too many factors are involved in winning four 7 game series. Hot goalie, you are done. Injuries, you are done. Yes crappy coaching, you are done. Your players not playing well or choking, you are done. He takes some heat for sure for the 2 first round playoff exits, but so do the players. So does Bowman for blowing up the roster and not getting the right pieces in place. It isn't going to happen every year.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I was one of them, and I agree. But I don't recall seeing any posts in this thread saying Pirri hasn't earned it and that they support Zeus at 2nd line C. (one was speculation of what Q may be thinking). Not 1.

That's fine then - it's fun to talk hockey with all of you, but at the end of the day it's Queneville's decisions we're discussing. Putting Handzus there and moving back Pirri is baffling.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Or maybe Q's toying around with his lines against a relatively weak opponent while he still has time to do so before the postseason?

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Don't put words in my mouth. Some of you guys think its fun to gang up.

I have never said Q's decisions are above reproach, go back and find where I said that. Why the hell would I say that? I said that calling him idiotic when you look at his record is way off. I don't agree with everything he does, far from it. I would like to see Pirri on the 2nd line full time, Morin playing more, Bollig passing out towels. But looking at how we are winning and Q's success I am not going to call him idiotic for doing some things that in spite of me wanting him to go a different way are proving successful. What leg do people have to stand on calling him idiotic when yes, he has won 2 cups and is 17-4-4 this season? You can disagree with some of his decisions, but you can't argue his success.

SS, I can't speak for everyone else but at least for me, I'll call individual choices of Q's "idiotic" rather than the man himself. He's a two-time SC winning coach, he's obviously got a lot going for him. Doesn't mean that we as fans can't question what he does, especially when it really is flat-out silly. Handzus? C'mon. Pirri earned it weeks ago.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Or maybe Q's toying around with his lines against a relatively weak opponent while he still has time to do so before the postseason?

It's the NHL, every team can win on a given night. The Hawks have actually already lost to Calgary this season.
With the division race as tight as it is, this argument - if true, which I don't think it is - doesn't make Q look much better either.
In any case it doesn't make much sense to toy with lines that have been scoring at a fantastic clip for the past few weeks.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

I will say unequivocally that Handzus will not be the answer at #2 center in the regular season, post-season, or any season from this point on.

Slot him on the 4th line where he belongs (or better yet, in the press box).

SLarmer28*

What leg do people have to stand on calling him idiotic when yes, he has won 2 cups and is 17-4-4 this season?

Meanwhile, the Chicago Blackhawks are only 1-3-1 against the Blues, Avalanche, Wild this season. In addition, the Chicago Blackhawks in the only meeting this season against the Nashville Predators without Pekka Rinne lost 7-2. Correction, the Chicago Blackhawks are only 1-4-1 against the Blues, Avalanche, Wild, Predators this season.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
SS, I can't speak for everyone else but at least for me, I'll call individual choices of Q's "idiotic" rather than the man himself. He's a two-time SC winning coach, he's obviously got a lot going for him. Doesn't mean that we as fans can't question what he does, especially when it really is flat-out silly. Handzus? C'mon. Pirri earned it weeks ago.

As I said, I don't agree with all decisions he makes. The Pirri one here I do not agree with, though I expect that to resolve itself quickly if Handzus can't hack it (may be in the middle of this game the way he switches lines). We all have the right to question things he does, i am just not prepared to call him an idiot with his record. You can certainly have an opinion that a decision he makes is idiotic. Hell, you can even think he is an idiot! I can also have the opinion he doesn't deserve that and argue it. Of course I get ripped at for it!

SLarmer28*

Or maybe Q's toying around with his roster preferences will cost the Chicago Blackhawks a playoff spot this season?

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
As I said, I don't agree with all decisions he makes. The Pirri one here I do not agree with, though I expect that to resolve itself quickly if Handzus can't hack it (may be in the middle of this game the way he switches lines). We all have the right to question things he does, i am just not prepared to call him an idiot with his record. You can certainly have an opinion that a decision he makes is idiotic. Hell, you can even think he is an idiot! I can also have the opinion he doesn't deserve that and argue it. Of course I get ripped at for it!

Eh, it's a message board. People can be over the top. As we speak, there are people (Ducks fans) making embarrassingly weak arguments for Getzlaf over Toews on the poll board, and they're so enamored with their team's player they can't see reason or construct a reasonable argument at all. I keep going back anyway, hoping someone with a bit of intelligence will step up. Sports fans are frustrating sometimes. People are passionate, sometimes too much so.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Meanwhile, the Chicago Blackhawks are only 1-3-1 against the Blues, Avalanche, Wild this season. In addition, the Chicago Blackhawks in the only meeting this season against the Nashville Predators without Pekka Rinne lost 7-2. Correction, the Chicago Blackhawks are only 1-4-1 against the Blues, Avalanche, Wild, Predators this season.

You must lead a terribly negative life, only focusing on the 20 percent that didn't go the right way. Forget the other 80 percent, throw it to the curb. I kind of like to look at the entire body of work when making a judgement. So we lost to a few good teams and were blown out by a lousy one. Happens to every team.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

And we were 0-3 against the Ducks last year in the regular season.

Fat load of difference that made.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007

Detroit was Chicago's whipping boy during the regular season last year, yet the Wings went up 3-1 in a series against them and were a period away from knocking the Hawks out of the playoffs.

There are certain things that you can bring up about Chicago that are negative. The shaky defense and horrible PK come to mind. But you're on the wrong track with this.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Or maybe Q's toying around with his roster preferences will cost the Chicago Blackhawks a playoff spot this season?

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's a real concern.

Sheesh, you'd think that we were into middle of a major losing streak and already on the outside looking in based on some of the reactions. Sure, Q's not above reproach and his moves should be scrutinized, but this is far from the end of the world and reeks of the same stench that this board was musked in from all the posters that just a year ago thought it was impossible for this roster to win a Cup without massive changes at almost every aspect.

At a certain point, freaking out about every little move goes past mere nitpicking.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

And what makes you so sure playing the lines your way wouldn't cost us a playoff spot? Where is your evidence that what you want to see happen will work better? And this is not an arguement for what Q is doing, I would rather he go a different way with the Zus/Pirri thing. I still doubt that will last.

SLarmer28*

You must lead a terribly negative life, only focusing on the 20 percent that didn't go the right way. Forget the other 80 percent, throw it to the curb. I kind of like to look at the entire body of work when making a judgement. So we lost to a few good teams and were blown out by a lousy one. Happens to every team.
You must be terribly blind to not understand that division games are the most important games during the NHL Season. With your statement, you are obviously clueless to how competitive the Western Conference is this season.

And we were 0-3 against the Ducks last year in the regular season.

Fat load of difference that made.
The Anaheim Ducks were not in the Chicago Blackhawks division last season.

There are certain things that you can bring up about Chicago that are negative. The shaky defense and horrible PK come to mind. But you're on the wrong track with this.
Shaky defense no .... Shaky goaltending yes.

You forgot about the worst backup goaltender in the NHL .... Khabibulin.

PK is horrible. 24 games into the 2013-14 NHL Season and the Chicago Blackhawks coaching brain trust still can't figure it out: Quenneville, Kitchen, Kompon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad