The money was NOT wisely spent

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
O'reilly continues to be one of the most underrated players on these boards.

Wondering if you're trying to insinuate that I underrate O'Reilly...if so, then it's laughable (and you can ask around to find out why I'd find that laughable).

Exactly ZERO of the players they got in the O'Reilly trade were bonafide NHL'ers in the vein that Ryan O'Reilly is. With that fact alone, it means that it is entirely TOO EARLY to say that the Avs "got fleeced" in the O'Reilly trade.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Want to know which head honchos were better? Look at the prospect pool in the Lacriox years versus the Roykic years. And once again which people in charge decided that having a goalie coach. Seriously what the hell took so long for the Avs to add a freaking goalie coach? What a bunch of fools. Outdated fools.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Duchene Landeskog, O'reilly. I could say Mackinnon and Bigras since Sherman was still Gm during the draft.

You could say that. You'd be wrong, but you can say that.

The day Joe Sakic was named Executive Vice President of the team, it was made crystal clear that he (Sakic) had final say on all player personnel decisions on the team. No reason to believe that it doesn't extend (to some degree) to the Draft. And by that, I mean instructing on the type of player to look for.

Greg Sherman was GM in title only during the 2013-14 year.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Roykic gets credit for developing EJ, Varly, Duchene, MacKinnon, Barrie, and Pickard. Or do I need to bring up the NO GOALIE COACHING problem again from the previous regime? They brought in a potential top pairing defenseman in Zadorov plus a blossoming top 6 player in Grigs. There is no way this organization was better in Lacriox's hands.

Roy is also screwing the development of this team. I'm glad Zad's and Rantanen aren't under Roy, personally. If you want to give Roy credit for developing them go ahead... But anyone can develop those players and we haven't seen their best under Roykic.

I believe every Gm/Coach has their time. Lacriox did what he did with this team and he just wasn't a fit with this organization anymore.

.....no idea how to respond to that. Might need to pinch myself to make sure this is real.

He had one good year, just like Sacco.

Want to know which head honchos were better? Look at the prospect pool in the Lacriox years versus the Roykic years. And once again which people in charge decided that having a goalie coach. Seriously what the hell took so long for the Avs to add a freaking goalie coach? What a bunch of fools. Outdated fools.

Was Sherman allowed to employ a goalie coach until Gigure went public with it?

You could say that. You'd be wrong, but you can say that.

The day Joe Sakic was named Executive Vice President of the team, it was made crystal clear that he (Sakic) had final say on all player personnel decisions on the team. No reason to believe that it doesn't extend (to some degree) to the Draft. And by that, I mean instructing on the type of player to look for.

Greg Sherman was GM in title only during the 2013-14 year.

Still the Gm. No one really knows who had final say on the draft. You'd be wrong to say anything different. They were very adamant on picking Mackinnon though

Wondering if you're trying to insinuate that I underrate O'Reilly...if so, then it's laughable (and you can ask around to find out why I'd find that laughable).

Exactly ZERO of the players they got in the O'Reilly trade were bonafide NHL'ers in the vein that Ryan O'Reilly is. With that fact alone, it means that it is entirely TOO EARLY to say that the Avs "got fleeced" in the O'Reilly trade.

Exactly why we got fleeced. We should have at least gotten a top 4 defender or a top 6 forward in return. Not a potential top 4 defender

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Still the Gm. No one really knows who had final say on the draft. You'd be wrong to say anything different. They were very adamant on picking Mackinnon though

Exactly why we got fleeced. We should have at least gotten a top 4 defender or a top 6 forward in return.

There is so much wrong with what you've posted not just in what I'm quoting, but over the last couple of pages. Without resorting to saying something I might regret (of which I would have plenty), you're simply wrong. The O'Reilly trade was a futures trade, which means it's impossible to fully judge it until some point in the future, when all the pieces have their shot at being NHL players (I know, I know...it gets in the way of you just blindly hating the current management...)

And you continue to be ridiculous with this claim that Greg Sherman was somehow responsible for the drafting of MacKinnon and Bigras. Even when I point out that it was made abundantly clear that Sakic had final say on all player personnel decisions the moment he took the Exec. VP job (and by that I mean he explicitly stated that), and that Sherman was GM in title only, you double down with "Still GM".

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Roy is also screwing the development of this team. I'm glad Zad's and Rantanen aren't under Roy, personally. If you want to give Roy credit for developing them go ahead... But anyone can develop those players and we haven't seen their best under Roykic.

I believe every Gm/Coach has their time. Lacriox did what he did with this team and he just wasn't a fit with this organization anymore.

He had one good year, just like Sacco.

Was Sherman allowed to employ a goalie coach until Gigure went public with it?

Whose development is he screwing up? And oh come on, you think Dean is better? :laugh: What a joke. Dean has to be told to play the young players. And obviously not anyone can develop those players because it wasn't happening under previous administration.

More or less talking about Eric Lacriox who is largely regarded as being the brain with Sherman. I don't think Pierre was in charge much after Sakic retired.

You can't compare Roy's year to Sacco's for a variety of reasons starting with what place they finished in, playoff results, etc.

They didn't employ a goalie coach so the previous regime was a failure and that's not thinking about how quickly Roy was allowed to hire Allaire.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm still really upset with Soderberg's signing. He's been flat awful defensively and on faceoffs, and he's going to be a HUGE drag on our cap going forward for years to come. Most of the other ones I can live with (aside from Stuart), but Soderberg was a calamitous signing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The O'Reilly trade had to happen. His asking price was too high, and we had to think ahead to what we'd need to pay MacKinnon and Barrie this year. Especially Barrie. If our defense is going to progress and get better, we need him around, and if I had to choose two out of MacKinnon, Barrie and O'Reilly, I'd do the same thing Roykic did.

The defense was/is a mess, and Zadorov is exactly what we needed out of the trade. Obviously he needs a little more work before he's 100% ready, but a big body like that is exactly what we need in the western conference. This trade will probably be looked on much more favorably a couple years down the line when Zad is a beast on the blueline.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Soderberg is not bad at all geez.

He's -8, worst on the team. 5.6 shooting % (behind only Barrie among players who have scored a goal) and 43% on faceoffs. Yes, he has 12 points, but for what he's getting paid those stats are atrocious.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's -8, worst on the team. 5.6 shooting % (behind only Barrie among players who have scored a goal) and 43% on faceoffs. Yes, he has 12 points, but for what he's getting paid those stats are atrocious.

+/- is a useless stat. He also hasn't exactly had great linemates to work with majority of the time. Soderberg has been fine.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not talking about stats, I'm going by how he looks and he's been pretty decent lately. It doesn't matter what the expectations are, he's still playing well. And part of that +/- is from when Roy hung him out to dry with Rendulic and Rantanen

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not talking about stats, I'm going by how he looks and he's been pretty decent lately. It doesn't matter what the expectations are, he's still playing well. And part of that +/- is from when Roy hung him out to dry with Rendulic and Rantanen

Hasn't even been just lately. He's looked good all season save for a couple games, and he's usually playing with players not named Duchene, MacKinnon, or Landeksog

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
The O'Reilly trade is going to be viewed by many much like the Johnson trade. How many hated it at the time? How many still hate it today?

I'd be willing to wager that many that hated it at the time, are fine with it now. And the same will be said for the O'Reilly trade.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You're really using shooting percentage to say he's been terrible? If anything, it shows bad luck. He's a 9.7% shooter in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad