The money was NOT wisely spent

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Just to throw in my two cents - I like the majority of the prospect and pipeline trades/signings. I am split on the major FA signings (e.g. main roster players).

Comeau - yuck

Beauchemin - love it, sure he has made mistakes, but he is a significant improvement and helps the team

Stuart - yuck x 2, we hoped for a Beauchemin and got a Quincey

Iginla - This one I love/hate. I know we wanted him for the scoring and leadership aspect, and he 100% delivers on that, but damn the guy is slowing down.

Soda - ehhhh. I think it's too early to tell on this one. He finds chemistry and adjusts his style, we may see a better second half from him. Admittedly lackluster so far.

Skille - Love this guy, great 4th liner with the ability to add some offensive spice to the mix. Maybe not a main roster signing initially, but I think he has found a home.

On the Staz debate - the guy was always leaving in my opinion, saw him in STL a lot during the summers leading up to his departure (I know that's his childhood home) with his brother and Blues players. His home was STL, not CO. You think STL was the highest/only offer at that salary he got? Staz wanted to be a Blue.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Comeau is very up and down, kind of like a winger version of John Mitchell.

I'm really not sure what people expected of Soderberg. He's on pace for 47 points, and he hasn't even been playing with that great of linemates all the time. He's barely spent time with any of our top 3 forwards, which people assumed he would be in the summer. People probably would have been happy with 50 points if he was centering Landy and MacK, like we all thought he was going to be. He's producing just fine and after a rough start, his defense has been better.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado

I'm really not sure what people expected of Soderberg. He's on pace for 47 points, and he hasn't even been playing with that great of linemates all the time. He's barely spent time with any of our top 3 forwards, which people assumed he would be in the summer. People probably would have been happy with 50 points if he was centering Landy and MacK, like we all thought he was going to be. He's producing just fine and after a rough start, his defense has been better.

I like this comparison (Comeau)

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm pretty sure that with even money on the table, Staz would've stayed with the Avs. They made the right financial decision though by not giving him the money he's getting in St. Louis.

I love Staz as a player I really do, he's just not a guy that's worth 7 million a year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm pretty sure that with even money on the table, Staz would've stayed with the Avs. They made the right financial decision though by not giving him the money he's getting in St. Louis.

I love Staz as a player I really do, he's just not a guy that's worth 7 million a year.

Changes in the top 20 in games played by skaters

13-14: Stastny, PAP, Benoit, Sarich, Malone, Bordeleau

14-15: Iginla, Tanguay, Redmond, Stuart, Briere, Everberg

The 14-15 group even scored 24 more points than the 13-14 group.
One could argue the only significant change was Stastny-Iginla.
Considering the Avs performance since the 13-14 season, perhaps he was worth more than the Avs/we want to admit.

take it easy, just stirring the pot a bit

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Changes in the top 20 in games played by skaters

13-14: Stastny, PAP, Benoit, Sarich, Malone, Bordeleau

14-15: Iginla, Tanguay, Redmond, Stuart, Briere, Everberg

The 14-15 group even scored 24 more points than the 13-14 group.
One could argue the only significant change was Stastny-Iginla.
Considering the Avs performance since the 13-14 season, perhaps he was worth more than the Avs/we want to admit.

take it easy, just stirring the pot a bit

Stastny at 7 is much more valuable than Iginla at 5.33, there is no question in my mind. And i wasn't a big Stastny fan.

But, even if they produce at the same rate, Stastny does other things that don't show up on the score sheet.

Iginla is a liability when he is not shooting the puck.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Sherman was the "capologist" of record when the Avs took to the ice with a big payroll in 2008 and proceeded to bottom out in the standings. He of course wasn't the GM of record of course but I don't see where you draw the conclusion he would be so much better than Sakic if given a freer hand. He definitely got a great goaltender in Varly but he also paid a high price with that 1st rounder.

How have the trades gotten so much worse under Sakic? Sherman didn't make the Tanguay/Sarich for O'Brien/Jones deal. Even though Tangs ain't doing so well this year no one could possibly argue that was a bad deal for the Avs. They basically recouped everything they gave up in the Brad Stuart trade...it's just too bad they still have Brad Stuart. And it's way too early to tell with the O'Reilly deal but there's no reason to believe Buffalo handed the Avs two busts thus far.

Sherman was also the GM of record when the Avs essentially booted Liles in favor of Hejda. Hejda was solid and all but that began the transformation of the Avs from a smaller, speedier team to a big, slow, lumbering, dump-and-chase squad. And of course, he signed Greg Zanon.

Ultimately it's hard IMO to definitively judge Sherman's tenure because we have absolutely NO idea just how much authority he actually had in day-to-day operations. We can kinda/sorta conclude he had little to do with the draft, but did for the most part orchestrate trades/signings and handled negotiations.

Yes, the Tanguay trade was the one good trade they've made so far. Everything else has been horrendous. We gave up a lot for Varly... What did we trade for Berra again? It's not too early to tell if we got fleeced in a trade, and yes we did in the O'reilly trade. This trade may look a little better in a few years, but i'm not holding my breath.

Without Hejda we wouldn't have made it to the playoffs a few years ago.

What's your point? We still don't really know how much authority Roy/Sakic has either. They give us a little info, but no one really knows. Sherman may not have been the go-to guy for deals and stuff but at least he hired the right people to make decent trades/signings. The current tandem is just reaping the benefits Sherman and co left them. Pretty much our whole core is from Sherman.

Since Roykic have been in charge we have given up more talent than we have received

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yes, it's too early to say we "got fleeced" in the O'Reilly trade.

Good lord, I can't believe I had to type that...

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
We don't know if we've lost more talent than we've gained since many of the real replacements haven't made t to the NHL yet.

Not in every instance have they been right, but they've made a lot of smart decisions.

I'll also add that they've added several young pieces that we can have optimism about.

Last edited:

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
O'reilly continues to be one of the most underrated players on these boards.

Roy/Sakic have made more bad decisions than good when it comes to signings/trades

We had young pieces to look forward with/from Sherman and Co. Barrie, Siemens, Elliott, do I have to list the forwards?

Sakic should hire people to do better jobs. Thus far I like Sherman as a GM more. Sakic is my all time favorite player. I don't want to see more of Sherman's core gone. We have one of the better cores in the league. This team is much better than what it's showing. I'd rather get rid of rookie management/coaching before moving core players for futures. Just my own opinion. How dumb would the Oilers look right now if they traded
Hopkins/Yakupov

It's no coincidence we keep coming back in the 3rd. The 3rd period is what separates good teams from average teams.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Roy/Sakic have made more bad decisions than good when it comes to signings/trades

We had young pieces to look forward with/from Sherman and Co. Barrie, Siemens, Elliott, do I have to list the forwards?

Please do. I'd love to hear how Mitchell Heard and Joey Hishon were going to turn this team around before Roy and co. screwed everything up. Let's not forget which group of complete and total managerial idiots decided that nowhere in the organization was a goaltending coach needed.

EDIT: I forget how important Elliott's 1 point in 7 games was or how Siemens was brought up and then sent back down multiple times by Roy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I love the way Soderberg plays. I feel a calming presence every time he's on the ice, especially when he has the puck.

Sakic should hire people to do better jobs. Thus far I like Sherman as a GM more. Sakic is my all time favorite player. I don't want to see more of Sherman's core gone. We have one of the better cores in the league.

It's no coincidence we keep coming back in the 3rd. The 3rd period is what separates good teams from average teams.

Please, I would LOVE you to list off all the great prospects from that regime. Take your time looking them up, too. Because you aren't going to remember them by memory.

You made literally no valid arguments here. Tyson Barrie and Ryan O'Reilly are the only players drafted outside of the 1st round who we developed. Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog were top-3 picks.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Duchene Landeskog, O'reilly. I could say Mackinnon and Bigras since Sherman was still Gm during the draft.

Who has Roykic brought in that's going to flip this team?

Who has Roykic brought in?

So you're going to excuse the only good parts of the team because they are top picks as? pfffttt...

That one draft has brought in more players than Roykic has.

Holos had some hype. Other than that we didn't have much to look forward to for prospects because Sherman wasn't a good GM, Sakic is just worse.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Duchene Landeskog, O'reilly. I could say Mackinnon since Sherman was still Gm during the draft.

Oh come on. In no way does Sherman/Lacriox deserve credit for Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon when those were picks anyone here could make and they nearly ruined them by having Joe Sacco as the head coach. At least Roy is using systems/playing players properly or do you forget Hunwick being consistently played more then EJ? I'll give the Avs org. credit for the O'Reilly pick.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Oh come on. In no way does Sherman/Lacriox deserve credit for Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon when those were picks anyone here could make and they nearly ruined them by having Joe Sacco as the head coach. At least Roy is using systems/playing players properly or do you forget Hunwick being consistently played more then EJ? I'll give the Avs org. credit for the O'Reilly pick.

Roy is not much better than Sacco... Are you serious? What system are we playing lol?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The era started when they took the job over, therefore they were in charge of the 2013 draft. Nobody has any real idea what Sherman did in the past, then and now. It's been described that he's the numbers guy, that's it.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Duchene Landeskog, O'reilly. I could say Mackinnon and Bigras since Sherman was still Gm during the draft.

Who has Roykic brought in that's going to flip this team?

Who has Roykic brought in?

So you're going to excuse the only good parts of the team because they are top picks as? pfffttt...

Roykic gets credit for developing EJ, Varly, Duchene, MacKinnon, Barrie, and Pickard. Or do I need to bring up the NO GOALIE COACHING problem again from the previous regime? They brought in a potential top pairing defenseman in Zadorov plus a blossoming top 6 player in Grigs. There is no way this organization was better in Lacriox's hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad