The MLD 2020 Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine selects Viktor Konovalenko, the 7-time Soviet all star, winning every Olympics and world championships from 1963 to his tourney MVP 1970, except for 1969 when he missed the train to Moscow so couldn't get to the tourney. He was selected as 3rd among all Soviets in 1968, 1st in 1970 and 7th in 1971 in national MVP voting. His 42-2-3 international record is staggering, one of his two losses haunted him as he, as a rookie, decided to experiment with rushing the breakaway attack, only to have a Swede skate around and score the winner. He never went out so far ever again. He was widely touted as a great presence in training camp and the locker room, and he mentored Tretiak and Tretiak often gushes about it. Konovalenko is a member of the IIHF hall of fame.

normal.png

Kings of the Ice said:
During an attack on his goal, he moved like a boxer, using swift and polished movements. Mentally agile and resourceful, he would spring between goalposts as easily and smoothly as a cat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Since we’re on a 6 hour clock, I believe I’m up.

I’ll complete my era requirements and select D, Aaron Ekblad

I eyed him from the start as my active player pick. I think this is a good spot for him.

1196997703.jpeg

Reactions: VanIslander

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'll take the inspiration behind my COVID-19 lockdown look, Jake Muzzin.

I believe that we've progressed past me, so whoever was up just then, is still up.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Ok you just took my coach... nice pick.

Bryan Murray was a great hockey man, known more for his work as a GM, but would have been perfect for my team for his penchant for balance playing all four lines and a defensive structure. Nice player's coach as well, very respectful of his players and everyone. I don't buy the stuff that he wasn't good in coaching in the playoffs at all, being well familiar with the issues/injuries the Red Wings had at least.

I hold Murray partially responsible for the Senators’ playoff exits in 2006 and 2007. In both cases I think the team lacked mental toughness and focus, and that’s on the head coach and team leadership.

2006 was worse because they really were as good as any team in the league. The Hasek situation became a big distraction, and the team was paying too much attention to the will he/won’t he play situation and never really decided “OK, Ray Emery is our goalie and we have to play defence in front of him instead of trading chances like we did with Hasek.”

In 2007 they did make that adjustment to tighten up the defence, and they showed more offensive variety with better execution of either dump and chase or puck carrying hockey, despite having less talent on the roster. If they had the 2007 mindset in 2006 they would have won the Cup. Murray did a great coaching job until the Cup final. But in the final the Ducks stepped up the physicality, clutching, and grabbing a step more than the previous playoff rounds, and it threw the Sens off their game as they started looking to the refs instead of what playing the game as it was called. To be fair to Murray, the Ducks were the better team and probably would have won either way, but Ottawa did not show well in the final and I think the team’s mental preparation and toughness was lacking again.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Bert Lindsay will be my backup goaltender. It’s a small role, but he’s my regular season hero as my other lot timers just miss the 1917 cutoff - it’s Bert who will clinch our playoff spot.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Note:

A 7th dman is important in the postseason (many teams have dressed 11 forwards and 7 dmen in the Stanley Cup playoffs).

A 13th forward and backup goalie often are needed.

So,...

The VERY DEEP position of Bottom-6 role LW will be Maine's last pick at 4th line LW. Gawd, three undrafteds are worthy!

Konowalchuk, Libett, Murphy, Cammalleri, Steen, Goheen, Axelsson... all 7 4th-line LWers in this draft are deserving! I just have three more on my initial list, so will await the last round to fill the spot.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There are a few other goalies still available that I think deserves to be on an MLD roster this year, but I think this is a good spot for Andersen. Nice pick.

Reactions: tony d

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine selects Marty Burke, the 11-year NHL defenseman who led the Canadiens blueline in playoff scoring to his second Stanley Cup championship in 1931 after being 3rd in penalties in the regular season. That was an unusual year for the otherwise calm and defensive-oriented rear guard.

latest

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
... Burke just stayed back while the forwards strutted their stuff on offense. It was Burke's job to shut down such flashy attempts by the other team, usually in emphatic physical fashion.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's good to see a lot of the guys I mulled over as possibilities for my all-Hab team, but ultimately found that the guys we were drafting in the 900s were still at least a cut above. Spent lots of time comparing guys like Burke, Gerry McNeil, Plekanec to the guys I ultimately took or considered for the last few spots, and seeing them land on the draft board somewhere just south of one thousand confirms that they were easily worth looking into. There are still a few guys out there that I looked hard at, and I may yet pick one.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll use my make up pick and select Steve Rucchin, C

http%3A%2F%2Fpucksofafeather.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F52393366-850x560.jpeg

https://thehockeywriters.com/steve-rucchin-the-middle-man/

Thrust into a first-line role centering prodigious point-producers, and vaunted wingers, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne for much of his time in an Anaheim Ducks jersey, Rucchin has rarely been credited for his contributions. Rather, he’s been victimized and labelled as a player whose contributions were predicated on the performance of the dynamic duo he had the luxury of centering. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Rucchin certainly found his name on the game sheet fairly regularly, but his most notable contributions are a product of playing a complete game and competing at both ends of the rink. There’s a tendency to anoint Kariya and Selanne as the only players who mattered on Anaheim’s number-one line, but the reason for their lofty point totals, aside from their obvious skill-sets, was Rucchin’s attention to detail. While the Ducks’ stars would play an up-tempo, free-wheeling game, Rucchin played a responsible, two-way game ensuring he was first on the backcheck, and his defensive abilities created many a chance for his gifted wingers.

When Kariya and Selanne weren’t flying down the wing and scoring goals, they were looking for dead areas in the slot in order to put pucks on net. The man that did the dirty work so they could have the puck on their sticks was Rucchin, who always made great use of his 6’2, 210 lbs. frame in the corners and along the boards. Beyond his gritty, two-way game with a dash of offensive prowess was an oft-overlooked, but no less valuable trait Rucchin brought to the table, his face-off ability. Winning an average of 53% of his draws in Anaheim allowed them to dictate the pace of play, and as a result, afforded Kariya and Selanne the opportunity to play at the fast pace in which they thrived.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne line was excellent (on a team that otherwise sucked in terms of skaters). The wingers surged on transition after Rucchin recovered pucks and fed the rush. He also played high in the o zone, ready to backcheck as quick or quicker even than the dmen. I appreciated his game.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I'll take Jaroslav Spacek and Dave Brown

Shoulda taken Spacek earlier actually, slipped my mind, pretty good finesse two way defenseman, played good minutes and could play on the powerplay and penalty kill. Nice fit for my Czech crew as well.

You can read this very nice retrospective on Brown's career. Of all his great fights, my favorite Dave Brown moment is:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Granby Prédateurs are proud to select, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, one of the best defensive forward on his team in the 00’s, Travis Zajac.

d54bfc1ead99b4570a42f123f20f4e85

There are a number of Devils fans who think that Zajac was every bit as good in his own end as John Madden, but that he never received leaguewide recognition because the overall team wasn't nearly as good.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad