The MLD 2020 Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember Kisio well. A high energy guy who banged and shot quickly. He was the opposite of a Soviet (holding onto the puck, skating, passing). I think in the post-lockout NHL of today he would do well surging in and shooting quickly, though as I say that, he was a bit too handsy to stay out of the box in today's game.

In the New York rivalry, he for the Rangers was as much a local hero as Pat Flatley (who went 906th in the ATD) was. I recall having a beer back in the early 1990's with a New Yorker who gushed about Flatley and Kisio as underappreciated stars. I agreed.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Sorry for the delay, I was busy today.

The Granby Prédateurs are proud to select, from Saint-Esprit, Québec, record holder for the most consecutive win by goaltender with 17, Gilles Gilbert.

resize

Every time I hear of or think of Gilles Gilbert, the following clip always pop in my mind. It’s a classic for my and my friend.

«Ça serais-tu Gilles Gilbert du Boston?» - Gerry Rochon, Tous pour Un.

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I'll take a pair of steady defensive defensemen, Craig Muni and my Original Six pick Larry Hillman

Muni is a big, tough, and mean mofo who played his position soundly, but also seemed to be out to hurt the other team. Average at best in terms of skating and finesse skills, he had pretty decent hockey sense and played within his limits to great success. A lefty playing right defense, he was a regular on the lists of the best defensive defensemen in the late eighties and early nineties, usually around the tenth place range (personally I think that may be a slight overrating due to his physical style of play though).

Hillman, I haven't gotten to really build anything detailed about his style of play like Carpenter, but a journeyman in the Original Six is intriguing. The brief descriptions I have read portray Hillman as a steady defensive defenseman, with perhaps his use of the backhand being a notable part of his game, though the backhand was obviously more prevalent in that era with the sticks being as they were. After establishing himself as a regular in the late fifties, he did bounce around the minors back and forth in the early sixties with deep Toronto (seems like except for maybe Montreal he'd be a regular on any other team though). By the end of the Original Six into the expansion era he once again became a regular until he finished his long career in the WHA. Served as a coach and won the Avco Trophy with Winnipeg in 1978 so he seems to have been able to think the game quite well.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Ok you just took my coach... nice pick.

Bryan Murray was a great hockey man, known more for his work as a GM, but would have been perfect for my team for his penchant for balance playing all four lines and a defensive structure. Nice player's coach as well, very respectful of his players and everyone. I don't buy the stuff that he wasn't good in coaching in the playoffs at all, being well familiar with the issues/injuries the Red Wings had at least.

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine selects Jeff Skinner, the 40-goal scoring 10-year NHL veteran who is the youngest player ever at the NHL all-star game, going as a teenager during his 2011 Calder trophy winning season. The left winger would go again to the all-star game during his career year in goals in 2019, two years after he was 6th in NHL goals. He has lived up to what the Carolina GM said of him when he was picked 7th overall: "There's nobody in the draft who scores goals like Jeff Skinner."

Amazingly, Skinner has had more goals at even strength over the span of the decade than Crosby, Malkin or anyone else other than Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane and Marchand. :) (Note: we have drafted the top 45 from the 1970s, top 25 from the 1990s, so getting 6th in a decade, the last of the undrafted top 15 in the 2010s, is something).

Skinner was a junior national bronze medalist in figure skating, and that balance and blade ability has served him well maneuvering in traffic in the NHL.

He has an all-time great quick, hard release.
SportsForecaster said:
His skating sets him apart from the pack, thanks to great lower-body strength, quickness and balance. Is also a natural scorer who has the shot, smarts, focus and instincts to produce quality numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: kruezer

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'll take Joey Juneau, a player who wouldn't score like he did in his rookie year ever again, but turned out to be far more versatile than you might have expected over his career.

I think it's @Habsfan18 next?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Cornwall selects HOFer LW, Fred Scanlan, one member of the trio that made up one of hockey’s greatest forward lines around the turn of the century. Together they were “responsible for moving the focus of hockey from individual play to a team-oriented game.”

I like the fit with Plekanec and Young on that 3rd line.

ffee367a5a96425a8d3566bbbcfb70a0_front.jpg

Montreal Gazette December 19 1901 said:
Frindy has always had the reputation of being one of the best forwards in the Dominion. He is a fast skater and a splendid stickhandler.

Frank J. Selke said:
"He was the workhorse of the great Shamrock forward line, always ready for his share in the new-style combination attacks, combining heady play with an accurate shot."

Reactions: VanIslander

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Coaching the Cornwall Aces will be long-time Cleveland Barons (and Providence Reds) bench boss, Bun Cook who lead his clubs to 7 Calder Cup championships over a 19 year career as a coach in the AHL from 1937 to 1956 . A winner of 636 regular season games behind the bench, Cook was named to the AHL Hall of Fame in 2007. He is considered the most successful head coach in the history of the American League.

hqdefault.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Maine selects Sergei Starikov, the 10-year member of the Soviet national team. The defenseman debuted by scoring 4 points in 4 games for his touring club against NHL teams in the 1979 Super Series, beating the Bruins and North Stars, tying the Flyers. Then as a 21 year old he scored 7 points in 7 games in the 1980 Olympics, including setting up the game winner against Canada, the youngster later blamed for the Americans tying goal in the epic upset.

Starikov returned to the national team in 1983 and scored 5 points in the gold-medal world championships and a goal against NHLers in another Super Series tour. The next year he scored and assisted in the gold-medalling 1984 Olympics and had 3 assists in the 1984 Canada Cup. He had multiple assists in the 1985 and 1986 world championships and then a career-high 4 goals in the 1987 tourney. He assisted a couple of more times in the gold-winning 1988 Olympics and 1989 Super Series.

Starikov would be one of the first Soviets to go to the NHL after the Iron Curtain fell, but the older defenseman didn't fit in New Jersey and he later went into a long career in coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I'll take Jimmy Carson's pal and good playmaking wing compliment Jim Fox and streaky Petri Skriko to round out my top six and my lineup.

jim fox.png

petri skriko.png

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Skriko is an..interesting pick.. I view him as more of a AAA or even AA draft guy if we were to have one. Just seems really early for him. Then again, by this point the “rankings” for players are very subjective. Someone I view as a AA talent may be seen by someone else as an MLD level talent, and vice versa. Case in point with Skriko here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad