The MLD 2020 Thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just checking in and it looks like I can make my other pick since it has been over 8 hours. I’ll be watching the Habs game tonight so I figured I’d go ahead and make my pick now.

I’ll complete Cornwall’s roster by selecting RW, Alexander Golikov

JLB409-300x300.jpg

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I’ll echo your early comments VanI. This MLD has been a delight. I’ve learned a tonne about players (both those I drafted and others) that I knew just from random stats or that I’d never known before at all. Guys like Steve Payne and Jocelyn Guevremont who were just numbers on a page before. Count me in if y’all wanna do a AAA draft. My goalie list is dwindling but I still have plenty of other guys ready to draft.

Reactions: Habsfan18

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
... Count me in if y’all wanna do a AAA draft. My goalie list is dwindling but I still have plenty of other guys ready to draft.
Awesome! :)

Habsfan18 has already asked if there will be a AAA 2020.

Dang right!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Sorry for the delay, I’ll take North Star playoff God LW Steve Payne and C Dutch Reibel.
Payne was available? I overlooked him.

Stanley Cup playoff scoring leader, averaged 30+ goals over a 6-year stretch, two all-star games, eight seasons of multiple game winners, 6'2 210 lbs net presence good for 30 powerplay points a season...

payne26.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Maine selects 6'2 205 lbs. defenseman Dave Lewis, the reliable rearguard for 1000+ NHL games, paired with Denis Potvin for two years before being traded with Harris to L.A for Butch Goring. His first year as a King he was paired with young Larry Murphy, and Lewis was named the franchise's Outstanding Defenseman of the year. Then he captained the Kings for two seasons. Traded to New Jersey, he was the Devils' Unsung Hero in 1985. Injuries plagued him for years. The veteran of three conference final runs on Long Island, two of them losses to the dynasty Habs, had one more in Detroit as the 33 year old helped the young Yzerman Wings meet the dynasty Oilers in 1987. Lewis retired a few months later to go into coaching.

yhst-13159482790260_2272_252399179

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
I just realized tabness had PM'd me the other day his 24th pick...

Gerard Gallant, coach

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Some really solid teams built here. Looking forward to the voting process to see how it all unfolds. We should see some good matchups.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Which, even though he was a fine player in his own right, says a lot about that franchise.
Absolute defenseman and goalie factory, hey? The Hockey News issue seventieslord contributed to has Weber, Suter, Timonen, Josi, Hamhuis and Ekholm at 1,3,4,7,9,15 respectively - since then, Josi has to be top 5 and Ekholm has surely risen, not to mention PK Subban's 3-season stay which didn't even rate a mention as of October 2017. And then they have Rinne and Vokoun at 2 and 6.

Legwand has played over 3 times as many games as their first legitimate offensive threat (Ronning), 3 times as many as the first real ringer to give them some punch as a playoff team (Sullivan), almost 6 times as their next big ringer (Kariya) and twice as many as current top weapon Filip Forsberg. Forsberg will likely need 4 more healthy seasons (and he hasn't exactly been consistently healthy, and the entire world is not healthy right now) to pass Legwand. Josi could pass him in 2 and a half seasons if he keeps up his current rate - it'd be quite something to see a 20+ year old franchise with a defenseman leading them in career scoring.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Absolute defenseman and goalie factory, hey? The Hockey News issue seventieslord contributed to has Weber, Suter, Timonen, Josi, Hamhuis and Ekholm at 1,3,4,7,9,15 respectively - since then, Josi has to be top 5 and Ekholm has surely risen, not to mention PK Subban's 3-season stay which didn't even rate a mention as of October 2017. And then they have Rinne and Vokoun at 2 and 6.

Legwand has played over 3 times as many games as their first legitimate offensive threat (Ronning), 3 times as many as the first real ringer to give them some punch as a playoff team (Sullivan), almost 6 times as their next big ringer (Kariya) and twice as many as current top weapon Filip Forsberg. Forsberg will likely need 4 more healthy seasons (and he hasn't exactly been consistently healthy, and the entire world is not healthy right now) to pass Legwand. Josi could pass him in 2 and a half seasons if he keeps up his current rate - it'd be quite something to see a 20+ year old franchise with a defenseman leading them in career scoring.

It really has been a very unique situation for a franchise. As you said, total defensemen and goaltender factory but they are still awaiting their first offensive star 20+ years later. I mean, there are teams like Minnesota and Columbus as well who haven’t exactly produced offensive stars, but guys like Rick Nash and Marian Gaborik fit the bill there for the most part. Filip Forsberg is probably the closest thing the Predators have ever had to one.

I mean, Craig Smith and JP Dumont are top 8 scorers in Predators history..

Yet look at their D and they have done an incredible job.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
The picks are all in! :)

A 48-hour window is now open for ADD/DROPs if needed. If you drop one, you add one in the same post on this thread.

Some teams still have to list pp and pk units and a captain (C) and two alternates (A).

Monday is expected to be Voting Day on regular season standings for each division. A message will be sent to everyone.

Theokritos has agreed to collect and tally the votes! :)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Monday is Voting Day!

If you might be busy then, there is early voting on Saturday and Sunday. (So, 3 days in all.)

Everyone will receive a message when early voting begins on Saturday.

Until then, analyze the teams:
  • team offense
  • team defense
  • goalie
  • special teams
  • bottom-6 role players
  • the ability to protect a lead
  • depth of scoring (to avoid a shutdown line)
  • the transition game
  • speed
  • physicality
  • chemistry
  • leadership
  • work ethic
  • clutch play
  • backup goalie (for 30% of starts)
  • experience
etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: kruezer