The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Hecht will become the #3 center and play with Ott and Leino. People are gonna be pissed but I see it coming. Or Ott will center the line..

People will be pissed because they will be basing it off of names and not play. Hecht has been excellent these first two games. He has completely outplayed Grigs.

Let's be honest here about Grigs, he isn't ready yet. This is not the Grigs that was in the WJC or Quebec. He is beyond timid and lacks a lot of confidence. He just floats so much so worried about getting rid of the puck or playing defense. I want the Grigs that will be a playmaker, not the one that you barely know is playing. His time will come, but right now, it's not the time.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'm OK with sending him down after the five games. It's nice to have center depth, but he has been a nonfactor thus far. He's been alright defensively but pretty timid. He's an 18-year-old kid suddenly thrust into the greatest hockey league in the world, so it's understandable. Rookies like Tarasenko making big splashes already are a couple years older, and in Tarasenko's case in particular, he has been playing against men already. If Grigs doesn't adapt to the game in the next few games, let him flex his muscle and hockey prowess in Quebec. It's better for everyone in the long run.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
This team needs size at center who can win faceoffs.

Small sample, but through two games Hodgson, Ennis and Hecht have combined to win 36% of faceoffs (won 32 out of 88). A team is going to lose a lot of points if your top three centers don't improve.

That is why I proposed trading for someone like Jarret Stoll if Grigorenko goes back to junior.

Ott could center the line and take faceoffs, he usually has a good %

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Ott could center the line and take faceoffs, he usually has a good %

Well, he has won 63.6% of faceoffs this young season. The problem is that he has only taken 11 faceoffs so far.

If I can remember tonight's game, it was Ennis and Hodgson in the final minutes taking the faceoffs.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
People will be pissed because they will be basing it off of names and not play. Hecht has been excellent these first two games. He has completely outplayed Grigs.

Let's be honest here about Grigs, he isn't ready yet. This is not the Grigs that was in the WJC or Quebec. He is beyond timid and lacks a lot of confidence. He just floats so much so worried about getting rid of the puck or playing defense. I want the Grigs that will be a playmaker, not the one that you barely know is playing. His time will come, but right now, it's not the time.

1st game yes 2nd game no. Hecht looked lost at times against Toronto and had 0 puck possession skills. I think you keep Grigs up:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Stafford - Ennis - Foligno
Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Hecht - Gerbe

Solid lineup and a checking line with scoring ability.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hecht will become the #3 center and play with Ott and Leino. People are gonna be pissed but I see it coming. Or Ott will center the line..

And who's our #3 center when Hecht goes down with injury?

I think we're keeping Grigs. He has hardly been a liability at all in mainly a defensive role, and will only improve.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
1st game yes 2nd game no. Hecht looked lost at times against Toronto and had 0 puck possession skills. I think you keep Grigs up:

Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Hecht - Gerbe

Hecht still played over 17 minutes tonight, Lindy is more comfortable with him.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Leino - Grigs - Ott
Kaleta - Hecht - Gerbe

Hecht has been better than Grigs in both games, don't kid yourself.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
If the criteria is scoring prowess, his tryout isn't going well so far. If the criteria is not being a liability, he's doing pretty well. This is a tricky one to judge, as many believe he won't learn very much from another season in the Q. He might get bored or discouraged. Then again, a full NHL season of timidity might undermine his confidence as well. We don't have enough scoring wingers to play him on another scoring line. We don't have a good solution to center injury if we send him down.

I (baselessly) believe that he will come out of his shell a bit more in the next 3 games, making the decision a bit easier.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Grigs game right now reminds of the first few Roc games for Girgs. Responsible, no risks, if there's an opportunity he takes it if not he makes the safe play. He looks like an 18 year old taking his first steps into an NHL career. Not out of place, not a liability, and eventually he will get comfortable and start making some plays. Also disagree about Hecht being better, neither on is impressive and I'd rather let Grigs grow into his NHL game then see Hecht take over.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hecht still played over 17 minutes tonight, Lindy is more comfortable with him.

And Lindy wanted to make him captain at one point so yeah I'd imagine Ruff is more comfortable with him.

And no Hecht looked sloppy in the 2nd game and isn't playing center. Grigs back-checked properly and isn't given the chance to go out and play with more offensive players like Hecht has.... not to mention Grigs was far more potent in the faceoff circle.

DatsyukNumberOne*

I watched your game tonight and he definitely isn't the same Grigorenko I've watched in the Q and WJC. He isn't comfortable yet and it will take him more than 5 games, it looked like he was playing to not make mistakes. I would be shocked if an old school coach like Lindy decided to keep him up. He is in a similar situation as Galchenyuk for us Habs but Gally has been given the opportunity to play with Plekanec and Gionta so he has a better chance at succeeding.

Wish him the best, I'm very high on him.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
If Grigs doesn't adapt to the game in the next few games, let him flex his muscle and hockey prowess in Quebec. It's better for everyone in the long run.
Hopefully Grigorenko can do something to keep his place on the roster until the end of the season, he will learn a lot more getting games under his belt in the NHL than playing juniors.

Instead of going back to Quebec I would rather see him go on some sort of loan deal to the KHL and play against men. I guess with the KHL heading into the play offs it will be difficult for him to find a team but I see no point in him playing with Juniors when he really has nothing more to learn. The Russian Stars in the NHL all spent at least three seasons playing in Russia against men and became leaders before moving to the NHL. Of course they had a different development pathway to the NHL (Did not play in the CHL) so it is difficult to compare but I think you understand the point I am making.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I watched your game tonight and he definitely isn't the same Grigorenko I've watched in the Q and WJC. He isn't comfortable yet and it will take him more than 5 games, it looked like he was playing to not make mistakes. I would be shocked if an old school coach like Lindy decided to keep him up. He is in a similar situation as Galchenyuk for us Habs but Gally has been given the opportunity to play with Plekanec and Gionta so he has a better chance at succeeding.

Wish him the best, I'm very high on him.

just seams like exactly the kind of prospect Ruff likes, he's responsible and doesn't turn the puck over at the blue lines. I think Ruffs 2 biggest check boxes with any player regardles of experience is responsible back check and no turnovers, he's had a check in both boxes so far.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
He's not going to get sent back just because he isn't showing offensive flair yet. He will only get sent down if he is a defensive liability or looks completely lost. He made one boneheaded play tonight and otherwise looked fine. He seems to be defensively responsible, and we all know his offensive game will come around. Barring a major blunder, I'm pretty sure he's staying, and I think it's the right move.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I think the kid has done a great job, playing very responsibly as a center should play. Looks like the staff is letting Hecht or Ott take the down-low center coverage in the D-zone at times and leaving the easier point coverage to Grigs. There have been a few glimpses of his offensive skill (no look pass to Ott vs. Philly), and as he settles in and gains more confidence, he'll likely be more of a factor in the O zone. I've been impressed with his play without the puck. He's hardly a "floater." Not by a long shot. Hope they keep him up.

heartsabres*

Everyone is happy about his defensive coverage....That aside, this guy was drafted for offense. If he doesn´t start producing then he needs to mature more. I think he isn´t ready.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Hopefully Grigorenko can do something to keep his place on the roster until the end of the season, he will learn a lot more getting games under his belt in the NHL than playing juniors.

Instead of going back to Quebec I would rather see him go on some sort of loan deal to the KHL and play against men. I guess with the KHL heading into the play offs it will be difficult for him to find a team but I see no point in him playing with Juniors when he really has nothing more to learn. The Russian Stars in the NHL all spent at least three seasons playing in Russia against men and became leaders before moving to the NHL. Of course they had a different development pathway to the NHL (Did not play in the CHL) so it is difficult to compare but I think you understand the point I am making.

With the risk of Russians staying over there and playing in the KHL instead, that is the last thing we'd want

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Kid can't win with some people. The kid, I think is doing well. He's got the offensive tools. The question mark coming in I think was his defensive game in his own zone. He's proven, outside one bad mistake which, I think if it was anybody but Regehr, would've been on the tape, that he can become responsible.

If he wasn't reliable in his own end and was lighting up the scoreboard, I GUARANTEE people would be saying he still needs to go back the juniors. He's working his butt off and is playing well and is being responsible.

The lack of a true training camp really hurts him, as he has not had the time to form any chemistry outside of Leino and Ott. If and when he gets paired with better Offensive players, I think that is when his offensive game will shine.

He hasnt done anything that warrants him to be sent down, and I've seen improvement in HIS FIRST TWO GAMES IN HIS CAREER. Calm down, if RUFF hasn't benched him because of play, then he's doing something right.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
The fact that this kid doesn't look out of place at 18 with no training camp and no pre-season games is astounding. He's got little to benefit from more time in the Q and if he's here they have full-time access to him. They can get him on whatever conditioning program they want, they can give him a veteran mentor and roommate.

Keeping him isn't hurting them, and he's likely already the 3rd best center in the organization anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad