The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Everything we have seen from him has shown that he is dedicated and determined to excel here. He came to North America and has worked hard to become fluent in English, he didn't flee back to Russia during the lockout, he says he doesn't want anything to do with the KHL, and his goal is to show the teams that didn't pick him that they have made a terrible mistake. You mentioned the chip on his shoulder, that's one of the reasons we don't think he's a lazy. Pride.

The laziest person I've ever met is a Swede. How long before Grigorenko convinces people that the stereotype is false? Ten years from now will we be worried that he still might be a Euro who is starting to lose the battle of repressing his innate indifference?

Myers is from Texas, how do we know he is NOT the so called cowboy who will run away to join the rodeo?

Good post, lets hope Grigs is the guy to end the crap about Russian players... IMO it was started by the "Grape".... it must end.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
What if Grigorenko doesn't stay up with the big team after his five game sample? What's plan B? The obvious, boring option is to bump Hecht up to third center and have Ellis as fourth, but what other options are there? Give Adam another go? Porter? Use Ott as center? Is Girgensons an option?

I believe Hecht becomes the 3rd line center. Then Gerbe and McCormick bump Scott and Ellis out. Girgensons is not near NHL ready

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

Plan B seems to kind of take the wind out of the sails.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
As far as the lazy Russian tag, there have been enough examples to warrant the stereotype, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how growing up on the far east end of Russia affects his personality/character? Grigs grew up as far removed from Moscow as someone in Russia can... his hometown is 15 minutes EAST of China.

Perhaps he's a got a Crosby-esque work ethic due to growing up on the East coast...

Anyway, he looked great yesterday, especially as the game went on. If this continues, he should stick.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
As far as the lazy Russian tag, there have been enough examples to warrant the stereotype, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I wonder how growing up on the far east end of Russia affects his personality/character? Grigs grew up as far removed from Moscow as someone in Russia can... his hometown is 15 minutes EAST of China.

Perhaps he's a got a Crosby-esque work ethic due to growing up on the East coast...

Anyway, he looked great yesterday, especially as the game went on. If this continues, he should stick.

Since when does where you were born affect your life long work ethic? :laugh:

heartsabres*

Since when does where you were born affect your life long work ethic? :laugh:

Come on now don´t be naive, life is going to be much harder in some places then others. I work in Europe and the south africans are or most of them very hard works for much less a wage doing crappy jobs but are happy to make 5 euros an hour instead of 5 euros a day.

Of course where you are born effects your work ethic but it is something that is not 100%.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Come on now don´t be naive, life is going to be much harder in some places then others. I work in Europe and the south africans are or most of them very hard works for much less a wage doing crappy jobs but are happy to make 5 euros an hour instead of 5 euros a day.

Of course where you are born effects your work ethic but it is something that is not 100%.

I agree, there are all types of people in any area, but starkly different backgrounds do forge someone's character to some degree, sometimes to a large degree.

One thing that is certain, in any respect you want to discuss it, where Grigorenko is from is very different than the Moscow area, just as here there is a fair difference (despite having only developed over a couple hundred years) in culture between longtime east coasters, midwestern descendants of homesteaders, descendants of southwestern ranching, etc. To go from west to east in Russia is to go from Eastern Europe to Far Eastern Asia, with Siberia right in the path.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
I think he will be sent down after his 5 games are up unless he really impresses these next 3 games. He's been solid defensively, but I think they play it safe with the 18 year old. I'd like to see him stay up, but I would be surprised to see the organization keep him here.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

You know Crosby grew up on the East Coast in Canada, not the US, right? :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he will be sent down after his 5 games are up unless he really impresses these next 3 games. He's been solid defensively, but I think they play it safe with the 18 year old. I'd like to see him stay up, but I would be surprised to see the organization keep him here.

Honestly, they can't afford to lose a center who can play plus defense, assuming he can continue to do that. If they send Grigorenko down they better bring in another center. Sample size and all but he's at something like 56% on his faceoffs. If he can manage to stay even a bit over 50% over the course of the season then that is another thing the team can't afford to lose. Unless he starts slipping a lot defensively I really think they'd be foolish to not keep him up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Honestly, they can't afford to lose a center who can play plus defense, assuming he can continue to do that. If they send Grigorenko down they better bring in another center. Sample size and all but he's at something like 56% on his faceoffs. If he can manage to stay even a bit over 50% over the course of the season then that is another thing the team can't afford to lose. Unless he starts slipping a lot defensively I really think they'd be foolish to not keep him up.

Agreed. The only play that makes me hesitate a little bit was a developing 2-on-1 where Grigo passed the puck WAY too soon and it was easily broken up.

He needs to take that more to the net and then decide pass or shoot -- showed me that he's lacking confidence.

But otherwise, I see nothing to suggest that he should be sent down.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I think he stays based on these two games and assuming he continues to grow. He probably has earned the vote from Lindy based on the fact he is defensively responsible. Not his offense. I also think Leino on the wing and Ott on the other with him will make for a killer third line and probably salvage Leino's career here.
He's not giving them a reason to send him back to the Q where he has already maxed out. The AHL might be the right choice but we can't do that so keep him. If there is room on an NHL team for Matt Ellis there damn well better be for this kid.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This Sabres team in the shortened season has a good of chance as anyone to win the Cup.This season will be a weird one and with our makeup our team can thrive in this shortened season.Having a 3 deep center core of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko is really benefiting us.Grigs has not looked out of place and I really want him to play with Leino, an offensive player who would thrive with Grigs IMO.

I think Grigs will stay.Especially when Leino comes back our team will produce even more.Our top 9 is as deep as anyone else's when you have guys like Leino,Ott and Grigorenko as 3rd liners.Pominville-Vanek is the best RW-LW combo in the NHL right now.Ruff and Regier know this year's team is built well and has a chance to go far, and they will realize once Grigorenko gets comfortable up here that he will start to produce along with providing adequate defense.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Porter could be an option, but probably better as a depth player.

Girgensons is out indefinitely with a concussion. He is not NHL ready.

I proposed in the other thread to trade for Jarret Stoll. Sabres need size and faceoff ability down the middle. LA have defensemen hurting (Mitchell and Greene out for months?).

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
This Sabres team in the shortened season has a good of chance as anyone to win the Cup.This season will be a weird one and with our makeup our team can thrive in this shortened season.Having a 3 deep center core of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko is really benefiting us.Grigs has not looked out of place and I really want him to play with Leino, an offensive player who would thrive with Grigs IMO.

I think Grigs will stay.Especially when Leino comes back our team will produce even more.Our top 9 is as deep as anyone else's when you have guys like Leino,Ott and Grigorenko as 3rd liners.Pominville-Vanek is the best RW-LW combo in the NHL right now.Ruff and Regier know this year's team is built well and has a chance to go far, and they will realize once Grigorenko gets comfortable up here that he will start to produce along with providing adequate defense.

yes sir

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Is there a better option than Girgorenko should they send him down? I don't think so.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hecht will become the #3 center and play with Ott and Leino. People are gonna be pissed but I see it coming.

This team needs size at center who can win faceoffs.

Small sample, but through two games Hodgson, Ennis and Hecht have combined to win 36% of faceoffs (won 32 out of 88). A team is going to lose a lot of points if your top three centers don't improve.

That is why I proposed trading for someone like Jarret Stoll if Grigorenko goes back to junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad