The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartsabres*

Sorry I live in Europe so I would like to hear some thoughts on him not only as a hockey player but as an 18 year old.

A lot of russians come to North America with a big head, lazy and "spoiled" by the North American culture.

From what I read about this kid he seems to say all the right things, seems like a team guy but I have no idea how he is in practice or if he is fitting in.....any thoughts?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
All his teammates are saying positive things. You really expect that regardless of whether the player really deserves it, but the way a lot of these guys are saying it makes it ring true. Several observers (players, people covering the practices, etc) have stated that his attitude is as good as can be. He's humble about his place as basically the bottom guy on the team totem pole (he currently has a chair rather than a locker in the locker room) and has shown good work ethic, as well as good communication with the coaching staff after he has a bad drill to see what he should have done.

I find it farfetched at this point that he doesn't get a tryout. It's too bad there's not at least 2 preseason games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nothing about what we're seeing from Grigorenko points to any negative stereotyping, be it age or nationality. He works hard in practice, his teammates appreciate him, and he comes across as being very committed to being the best player he can be (see his time here over the summer working out).

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Nothing about what we're seeing from Grigorenko points to any negative stereotyping, be it age or nationality. He works hard in practice, his teammates appreciate him, and he comes across as being very committed to being the best player he can be (see his time here over the summer working out).

This is right on. He seems like a humble hard working type of kid, exactly what you want in your best prospect.

heartsabres*

I always worry about young guys getting a chance. A lot of players that get drafted high up have tons of talent but I think the right attitude is important too. I hope Grigs keeps humble and works hard.
I hate to say it but that Russian stigma sticks with them no matter how hard and how good they are. I remember Federov and no matter what he did until he won a Stanley cup people blamed any bad habits he had on being Russian but guys like Stafford get 4 or 5 years of being lazy before they are actually called lazy. Sucks but that is the way it is.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
my take - play him - what do you really have to lose? this is a perfect time for a young player to come into the league when a lot of experienced players have not been with NHL competition for a long time so they will not have any kind of upper hand.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I love his game, his size and his puck movement. He's got a real possibility to be the face of the franchise. I was even more impressed with his answering of questions about his mono situation and transition to North American hockey. He stayed here and worked on his game. He lit up the Q this year as well. All things pointing to steal of the draft. One way or another he's going to be a successful player.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Andrew Peters ‏@76_AndrewPeters
Looks like "the kid" has a new stall. #lookinggood
BA6MPOwCEAAr-eT.jpg

That doesn't have the look of a guy going back to the Juniors

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
And it's offical:

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
Darcy Regier announces Mikhail Grigorenko will be on Sabres' final roster.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I'm an Islander fan who's rooting for the guy (and likes your team).

I was definitely suspicious when none of these examples of "bad work ethic" were brought to light. Good luck on the season! :yo:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm an Islander fan who's rooting for the guy (and likes your team).

I was definitely suspicious when none of these examples of "bad work ethic" were brought to light. Good luck on the season! :yo:

I have no idea how good he will ultimately be or if he does stick this season, but I couldn't be happier with his attitude as a top-end offensive prospect. We need to see that positive attitude translate to consistent effort on both ends in the pro game, but that's not really a long-term concern of mine.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'm most interested to see how much PP time he's going to get. One would have to imagine Vanek-Pominville-Hodgson-Ehrhoff are probably locks for PP1. They could Pommer on the point and then use Ennis or Grigs up front; or they could put Myers back with Ehrhoff. Assuming they put Myers on PP1, you've got Foligno-Ennis-Stafford on PP2, likely with Leopold on one point and either Sekera/Brennan (if he plays) on the other. I think Foligno will be on that second unit because it'll need to have a net presence.

I'd go:

PP1
Ehrhoff-Pominville-Vanek-Hodgson-Grigorenko

PP2
Myers-Leopold-Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'm most interested to see how much PP time he's going to get. One would have to imagine Vanek-Pominville-Hodgson-Ehrhoff are probably locks for PP1. They could Pommer on the point and then use Ennis or Grigs up front; or they could put Myers back with Ehrhoff. Assuming they put Myers on PP1, you've got Foligno-Ennis-Stafford on PP2, likely with Leopold on one point and either Sekera/Brennan (if he plays) on the other. I think Foligno will be on that second unit because it'll need to have a net presence.

I'd go:

PP1

PP2

Wow that PP1 looks incredible. I would love to see that. You have 2 playmaking centers in Grigs and CoHo. Snipers in Pommers and Vanek and that shot from the point of Ehrhoff. I LOVE it.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011

I'd go:

PP1

PP2
cm-32469-050adba116d68a.jpeg

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I'd go:

PP1

PP2

That first PP unit is nasty. I like the idea of 2 centers on that unit in case Hodgson gets tossed, Grigs can come in and take the draw.

The 2nd unit looks decent, I'd possibly put in Sekera over Leopold. Maybe even switch off Foligno with Ott every once in awhile, or putting Ennis on the point and send both Foligno and Ott in front of the net, that'd be fun see those 2 drive the goalie and dman bat **** crazy :laugh:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The kid is 18 years old... few of us have ever seen him play, is all we have to judge him on are press reports and stats...

I say he is ticked he dropped to the 12th spot in the 2012 draft when projected to go in the top 5 by some media providers. (He may play with a chip on his shoulder to prove them wrong)

He is Russian but how do we know he is NOT the so called lazy Russian?

I say the kid is ready to be, and is happy to be, a Buffalo Sabre!

Let’s face it, there are many NHL teams he could be stuck on that stink, the Sabres have a solid NHL history, the Sabres are projected to make the playoffs by many.

If Grigs starts Grigs will stay and give a good accounting of himself.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
He is Russian but how do we know he is NOT the so called lazy Russian?
Everything we have seen from him has shown that he is dedicated and determined to excel here. He came to North America and has worked hard to become fluent in English, he didn't flee back to Russia during the lockout, he says he doesn't want anything to do with the KHL, and his goal is to show the teams that didn't pick him that they have made a terrible mistake. You mentioned the chip on his shoulder, that's one of the reasons we don't think he's a lazy. Pride.

The laziest person I've ever met is a Swede. How long before Grigorenko convinces people that the stereotype is false? Ten years from now will we be worried that he still might be a Euro who is starting to lose the battle of repressing his innate indifference?

Myers is from Texas, how do we know he is NOT the so called cowboy who will run away to join the rodeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad