"The Michel Therrien System"

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I saw on 24 CH Therrien said we are a grinding team. Just wondering if anyone here agrees with this? Why are we a grinding team? No wonder we can't score goals. Undersize, grinding. Back in 09 Carbo had a different style and we were one of the most offensive team in the league.

Gionta 5'7"
Briere 5'8"
Plekanec 5'10"
Gallagher 5'9" ok he's an exception
Desharnais 5'5"
Diaz 5'9"
Boullion 5'7"
Thomas 5'8"

Bourque
Eller
Prust
Moen
Pacioretty ??
Subban
Markov ??
Emelin
Beaulieu
White
Bournival
Murray
Gorges
Galchenyuk
Parros

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
^ Exactly. What system?

The system of systematically losing games by scoring one goal and hoping to defend that one goal for 40 minutes?

Despite what Therrien says, this team is definitely not a "grinding team". Expecting the smallest team in the league to play a dump and chase grinding game? Yeah, that's working out wonders for us. Last season we played an up tempo offensive game, and we had success, then for some reason that doesn't make sense to me, Therrien switches to this ******** system that has brought nothing but failure and embarrassment.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
According to Antichambre, even with us seemingly playing less dump and chase vs Winnipeg, we still got beat in the possession stat.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
According to Antichambre, even with us seemingly playing less dump and chase vs Winnipeg, we still got beat in the possession stat.

Taking corsi for %, especially in 5 v 5 close, as a proxy for possession we've been losing the possession battle for the last 5 games. The wins over the Bruins and Caps, to my eye, were much more about the Bruins and Caps playing poorly than us playing well.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Taking corsi for %, especially in 5 v 5 close, as a proxy for possession we've been losing the possession battle for the last 5 games. The wins over the Bruins and Caps, to my eye, were much more about the Bruins and Caps playing poorly than us playing well.

The team's been losing the possession battle since November. Fenwick looks awful. Fenwick Close% they're 46.1% since November 1st and 43.5% in 2014.

The latter figure's on par with Edmonton over the whole season, the former is between Calgary and Philadelphia's whole-season marks.

What I don't understand is how Therrien managed to coach a positive-possession team last season with a good system. The way the Habs have played this season matches up with every other year of his coaching career, last season was the abnormal one.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The team's been losing the possession battle since November. Fenwick looks awful. Fenwick Close% they're 46.1% since November 1st and 43.5% in 2014.

The latter figure's on par with Edmonton over the whole season, the former is between Calgary and Philadelphia's whole-season marks.

What I don't understand is how Therrien managed to coach a positive-possession team last season with a good system. The way the Habs have played this season matches up with every other year of his coaching career, last season was the abnormal one.

No arguments here. If you look at the data, it seems that there's a clear structural break at the beginning of the season. Detrend the data, and I bet you the process looks identical. Means something is very clearly wrong with the entire team, minus Price.

I wonder what that common factor could be...

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
If Therrien thinks we're a grinding team. Someone ought to show him some St. Louis or LA tapes. His mind will be blown.

I thought he finally watched some tapes when gorges had that pinch where he set up prust(?) For that goal few games back. But not so sure anymore.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
LA is actually one of the best possession teams in the league.

I know. They are a team that grinds out wins though. Therrien can think whatever he fancies, but that certainly isn't us. I have no idea why he is so desperate to move away from the counter attack/attack off the rush style we have previously employed. Ya know, the one that won us games.

Can't wait to see Therrien fired.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Is there a contradiction between the two?

LA's an interesting team in-terms of possession metrics. They're a dominant team, but they manage to do so while dumping the puck a lot. There's a bit of a contradiction there in terms of traditional analytics thinking, but whatever their system is it works. Someone spending hours breaking down the game on tape could probably explain why they can dump a fair bit and still get positive possession, but the bottom line is it works.

It probably limits their offensive output at even-strength but as long as you out-score your opponents that isn't a bad trade-off.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Thank goodness we've drafted a lot more undersized forwards who are in Hamilton and Juniors. Therrien can't wait for them to get here.

Trading Kristo for Thomas was brilliant.

:sarcasm:

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Therrien's system is pretty straightforward. Desharnais' line produces the offense, all other lines are required to play defense and defend the lead the DD line generates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad