"The Michel Therrien System"

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I think that what Therrien means by we are a grinding team is that we wont win games only with our talents, players have to give everything they got to have the chance to win a game. Like a grinder we need to finish our hits, charge the net, play with high energy, be courageous, sacrifice the body. It's just another way of saying give your best. He obviously wont say we have the most talented team, let's play soft and fancy. Therrien knows that DD, Gio, Diaz, ... aren't grinder, he's not that Pejorative Slured; he doesn't want to change them into grinders, he want them to give their 100%.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think that what Therrien means by we are a grinding team is that we wont win games only with our talents, players have to give everything they got to have the chance to win a game. Like a grinder we need to finish our hits, charge the net, play with high energy, be courageous, sacrifice the body. It's just another way of saying give your best. He obviously wont say we have the most talented team, let's play soft and fancy. Therrien knows that DD, Gio, Diaz, ... aren't grinder, he's not that Pejorative Slured; he doesn't want to change them into grinders, he want them to give their 100%.

He was yelling so I'm pretty sure he meant we are a grinding team, and not a team that tries hard. look what happened against Capitals. 4 shots through 2 periods.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He was yelling so I'm pretty sure he meant we are a grinding team, and not a team that tries hard. look what happened against Capitals. 4 shots through 2 periods.

What is the link between your 2 affirmations? And yelling or not, doesn't change if there is or isn't a meaning behind his words... The fact that he is yelling doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You guys are ridiculous. It's been explained countless time that the system is a forecheck system with the team playing as a unit in all zones. In fact it's not much different than the system TB played against us -- only better -- and to assume Therrien wants a dump and chase, grinding system is intellectually dishonest and blind. How many times do we see the Ds support the attack/offense without retribution from the coach for doing this? Plenty.

I say, fire half the brain you are sharing with someone else….

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
You guys are ridiculous. It's been explained countless time that the system is a forecheck system with the team playing as a unit in all zones. In fact it's not much different than the system TB played against us -- only better -- and to assume Therrien wants a dump and chase, grinding system is intellectually dishonest and blind. How many times do we see the Ds support the attack/offense without retribution from the coach for doing this? Plenty.

Except they aren't playing a forecheck system at the moment... at least not very effectively.

kalvador

Awaiting moderation
Sep 14, 2007
Ehm

Maybe he has learned to coach by playing Eastside Hockey Manager, in that game when you set your team strategy to grind you were almost guaranteed to win the cup regardless of the team.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Thers is no forecheck, what are you talking about. One man in doing a fly by or one man in then skating backwards out of the opposition is zone not a forecheck

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Fancy does not equal soft.

There are a lot of teams that are great on the pass, support the puck well, exploit defenses, drive the net and play aggressive hockey.

Therrien is clueless. He has it in his mind that the Habs should play like Martin's Habs. Even going so far to reducing the 4th line to a mish-mash of players who happen to be in his doghouse at any given time.

There is a disconnect between your version of grinding and what Therrien has the Habs doing.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
We don't have the personel to play a grinding game. Boston, LA, Chicago are much bigger than us and can therefore play that style. Pitsburgh, Washington play skill game which we don't have. For us to play like Detroit but we don't have a Datsyuk, Zetterberg. I"m not sure what style we should play.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
We don't have the personel to play a grinding game. Boston, LA, Chicago are much bigger than us and can therefore play that style. Pitsburgh, Washington play skill game which we don't have. For us to play like Detroit but we don't have a Datsyuk, Zetterberg. I"m not sure what style we should play.

Hell, even Boston does not play a grinding game. They are all about the passes and skating with and without the puck.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I saw on 24 CH Therrien said we are a grinding team. Just wondering if anyone here agrees with this? Why are we a grinding team? No wonder we can't score goals. Undersize, grinding. Back in 09 Carbo had a different style and we were one of the most offensive team in the league.

Gionta 5'7"
Briere 5'8"
Plekanec 5'10"
Gallagher 5'9" ok he's an exception
Desharnais 5'5"
Diaz 5'9"
Boullion 5'7"
Thomas 5'8"

Bourque
Eller
Prust
Moen
Pacioretty ??
Subban
Markov ??
Emelin
Beaulieu
White
Bournival
Murray
Gorges
Galchenyuk
Parros

The Habs don't have the skill to NOT grind as part of their tooolbox. Is it really that hard to understand? Is anybody here naiive enough to think they can play dipsy doodle hockey and win?:shakehead

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Habs don't have the skill to NOT grind as part of their tooolbox. Is it really that hard to understand? Is anybody here naiive enough to think they can play dipsy doodle hockey and win?:shakehead
Subban skates up with the puck and nobody is where they're supposed to be. Nobody is open and there's no where to pass to. It's like MT doesn't understand that offense is required to win anything.

But here you are. Back with your propaganda again, defending the indefensible. You company man.

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
When the habs beat boston and won the game before its because they actually had a transition game and brokeout with short passes. Pass forward. The passer speeds up and puck is returned at blue line entry. Pretty much that. Dump and chase exclusively will get you nowhere. Yes. There are times when the best play is to chip it up and go in after that. But it shouldnt be a game plan and executed in a robotic fashion. Just like a D pinching. You pick your spots. We should be transitioning 75% of the time.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
When the habs beat boston and won the game before its because they actually had a transition game and brokeout with short passes. Pass forward. The passer speeds up and puck is returned at blue line entry. Pretty much that. Dump and chase exclusively will get you nowhere. Yes. There are times when the best play is to chip it up and go in after that. But it shouldnt be a game plan and executed in a robotic fashion. Just like a D pinching. You pick your spots. We should be transitioning 75% of the time.

It is as if Therrien deleted the video from the Bruins game and decided that the Habs really do not need a transition game.

It is mind-blowing to see the Habs play like that against Boston only to return to the tried and failed approach against the Bolts and Jets.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Was at the game vs the Jets.

Both my son's play, one novice (7 yrs old), the other Atom (9 yrs old).

Here are their comments on the game:

"Why can't they get out of their zone"

"Dad, why does Montreal not want the puck, they can't score if they don't have the puck"

"Did someone forget to sharpen their skates, they sure seem to have a hard time staying on their feet"

"What Price did, was it a bad play?"

"At least Gallagher is trying..."

Personally, it is mind-boggling to see a team incapable of scoring with such regularity.

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
His system
396756.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->