OT: The Menu Part 5 Gritty's Kitchen and Lou's Tavern edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
This threads awesome I can't believe I've never seen it before

It's 5 editions in, I can't believe it's lasted this long and is growing. I just like food and good food. I'm also the Commissioner and will rule when there is an argument. You should have been here for the mustard debate, the hot dog sandwich debate, and usually I gotta rule.

The next thing I gotta get though is an Air Fryer. Of all the things I don't have is an Air Fryer, but that is changing.

Soon as my tax refund gets here, which might take till next tax season, I'm getting it.

I want a good one, I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
It's 5 editions in, I can't believe it's lasted this long and is growing. I just like food and good food. I'm also the Commissioner and will rule when there is an argument. You should have been here for the mustard debate, the hot dog sandwich debate, and usually I gotta rule.

The next thing I gotta get though is an Air Fryer. Of all the things I don't have is an Air Fryer, but that is changing.

Soon as my tax refund gets here, which might take till next tax season, I'm getting it.

I certainly remember the hot dog debate *cough, cough Striiker*. What was the mustard debate again?

Spicy mustard rules all condiments! :box:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I certainly remember the hot dog debate *cough, cough Striiker*. What was the mustard debate again?

Spicy mustard rules all condiments! :box:

Well simply amazing you don't remember the mustard debate, but you nailed what rules, Spicy Brown Mustard is king, those that choose another have to answer to me lol.

I got 4 bottles of Guldens spicy brown mustard in the pantry now.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Well simply amazing you don't remember the mustard debate, but you nailed what rules, Spicy Brown Mustard is king, those that choose another have to answer to me lol.

I got 4 bottles of Guldens spicy brown mustard in the pantry now.

This is my current mustard: Garlic with jalapeño

It's freaking awesome. I love small batch, local mustards.

IMG_0340.JPG

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

My friend just got an air fryer so I was very curious how it would work. He made sweet potato fries in it and it was semisuccesful. He was hoping to get them crispy but they weren't He wasn't sure if he used too much oil or if that may just be the inherent nature of sweet potatoes themselves. Since I don't recall ever having crispy sweet potato fries, I'm inclined to think it's not his fault. His four year old daughter was not a fan of them but it meant more for us.

In the near future I'd like to get an instant pot with the sous vide attachment and then if I don't screw that up/find it's too much work then I'll try the air fryer next.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You put a sausage in a roll or bun.

Is that a sandwich?

I dont know, when I get sausage on a roll, i honestly dont call it a sausage sandwich. I just say "let me get one italian sausage" or something like that. I dont consider a burger a sandwich either, and while that isnt a tubular, encased meat, its along the same concept of meat between bread products.

Burgers and Hot dogs are just special that way. If the late Antony Bourdain classifies it as not a sandwich, its not a sandwich.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My friend just got an air fryer so I was very curious how it would work. He made sweet potato fries in it and it was semisuccesful. He was hoping to get them crispy but they weren't He wasn't sure if he used too much oil or if that may just be the inherent nature of sweet potatoes themselves. Since I don't recall ever having crispy sweet potato fries, I'm inclined to think it's not his fault. His four year old daughter was not a fan of them but it meant more for us.

In the near future I'd like to get an instant pot with the sous vide attachment and then if I don't screw that up/find it's too much work then I'll try the air fryer next.

You shouldnt really be using any oil in an air fryer. A thin layer of pain on to the grate/bottom of the pan is all you need. Youll never get them like... oven crispy, but ive gotten a decent crisp to my sweet potato fries in the past. The key is cutting them to be thin enough (they dont need to be shoestring, but they cant be steak fries, either), and spacing them out correctly. 400 degrees, 8-9 minutes, and flip them half way should do the trick.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
The hot dog stuff was me EDUCATING people about the FACT that hot dogs are sandwiches.

The mustard debate was a bunch of people saying mustard was unacceptable as a food topping and then we all listed our favorite condiments.

The hot dog stuff was me EDUCATING people about the FACT that hot dogs are sandwiches.

The mustard debate was a bunch of people saying mustard was unacceptable as a food topping and then we all listed our favorite condiments.

Are you going to "educate" us on how the earth is flat, next? Spare us, Tom Cruise.

A hot dog is a sub. A sub is a sandwich.

These are facts.

Remember when you used to be a cool mod?

I had a feeling once someone brought up the Hotdog thing again, it wouldn't be loooong before another round of Weenie talk.

Here is my Ruling those who oppose will have to Deal with Colonel Sherman Potter of the 4077 M*A*S*H

A Hot dog is not a sandwich, even though it's on a bun it's not flat. In order for the term sandwich to be applied it must be flat. I realize about 3 months ago I ruled it was a sandwich because It was on bread, however I realize it's not flat.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
You shouldnt really be using any oil in an air fryer. A thin layer of pain on to the grate/bottom of the pan is all you need. Youll never get them like... oven crispy, but ive gotten a decent crisp to my sweet potato fries in the past. The key is cutting them to be thin enough (they dont need to be shoestring, but they cant be steak fries, either), and spacing them out correctly. 400 degrees, 8-9 minutes, and flip them half way should do the trick.
He didn't have much oil to begin with I think he got worried that they weren't getting as crispy as he expected and added more in. They were about as thick as Five Guys fries so they weren't too big.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He didn't have much oil to begin with I think he got worried that they weren't getting as crispy as he expected and added more in. They were about as thick as Five Guys fries so they weren't too big.

Gotcha - they shouldve been fine then. Adding extra oil never helps, just because (i dont know if its the right scientific term, but itl helps for explanation) addin oil to the fires prevents the heat from singing the skin, which gives it the crispiness. Adding too much to the bottom of the pan causes the air thats being friend to become too dense as the oil vaporizes, and also prevents crispiness.

Were they overlapping or anything? Low temp perhaps? I have a sweet potato at home, i think - maybe ill make some tonight and post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad