May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And now, the night is over. Cheers fellas

20210626_234255.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Lord Defect I made the beef jerky in the electric smoker and, as promised, I have some step-by-step pictures for you.

Turned out really good. Very happy overall, although I might want to try a different marinade next time.

zSb6rUv.jpeg
bfJf5rm.jpeg
qyzEY7O.jpeg
TJu6g24.jpeg
DyjXSeH.jpeg

Ingredients
3 lbs top round beef
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Instructions
-Trim all fat off the beef. Get rid of membrane or silverskin.
-Slice the beef into ¼ inch thick slices. Make sure they're pretty consistent
-Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Take it off the heat and let it cool until it's room temp.
-Add beef slices to marinade and mix.
-Put it all in a ziploc bag and leave it in the fridge overnight. At least 12 hours.
-Line a baking sheet with paper towel. Remove meat from fridge and place them on the paper towel. Pat them dry and let them get to room temp.
- Set smoker to 165F. Add wood chips to trey. (I used mequite)
-Place beef strips on smoker grates (I put mine on a silicone mat) and smoke for 3 hours.
-Check every hour or so to make sure they're cooking evenly. Move them around if they aren't.
-After three hours, remove the jerky from the smoker and leave to cool on cookie rack. The jerky will be done when it is dry and tough, but can bend without breaking.

You can store in the fridge for a week or two but it really doesn't make that much so it'll be gone in a day or so.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
@Lord Defect I made the beef jerky in the electric smoker and, as promised, I have some step-by-step pictures for you.

Turned out really good. Very happy overall, although I might want to try a different marinade next time.

zSb6rUv.jpeg
bfJf5rm.jpeg
qyzEY7O.jpeg
TJu6g24.jpeg
DyjXSeH.jpeg

Ingredients
3 lbs top round beef
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Instructions
-Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Take it off the heat and let it cool until it's room temp.
-Put it all in a ziploc bag and leave it in the fridge overnight. At least 12 hours.
-Line a baking sheet with paper towel. Remove meat from fridge and place them on the paper towel. Pat them dry and let them get to room temp.
-Place beef strips on smoker grates (I put mine on a silicone mat) and smoke for 3 hours.
-Check every hour or so to make sure they're cooking evenly. Move them around if they aren't.
-After three hours, remove the jerky from the smoker and leave to cool on cookie rack. The jerky will be done when it is dry and tough, but can bend without breaking.

You can store in the fridge for a week or two but it really doesn't make that much so it'll be gone in a day or so.
My man(kid)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

zSb6rUv.jpeg
bfJf5rm.jpeg
qyzEY7O.jpeg
TJu6g24.jpeg
DyjXSeH.jpeg

Ingredients
3 lbs top round beef
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Instructions

I should also add, the jerky turns that classic dark red color after it sits for a while in the fridge.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020

zSb6rUv.jpeg
bfJf5rm.jpeg
qyzEY7O.jpeg
TJu6g24.jpeg
DyjXSeH.jpeg

Ingredients
3 lbs top round beef
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Instructions

Beef Jerky Outlet on Business rte in lower Bucks has fantastic jerky, and does sell on line. I highly recommend their stuff, especially the brisket.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Beef Jerky Outlet on Business rte in lower Bucks has fantastic jerky, and does sell on line. I highly recommend their stuff, especially the brisket.
Just know the exotic meats, like gator and all that, only need a certain % of that animals meat in the jerky to be considered gator jerky. It’s something ridiculous like 3%. Steer clear of those.
The rest is awesome though.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
You talking a mustard slather before the rub or a dry mustard-based rub? Never tried the latter but love a good mustard based sauce.
was just talking mustard rub...if you do want an alternative that you can actually taste you can try worcestershire. I have done a mustard based rub when my wife wanted Keto ribs. It was good but not better by any means.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
you can use almost anything really. my favorite is dry brine, but I usually dont take the time to do it

Yeah, I don't usually put that much effort into it. They still taste good, don't get me wrong, but there's a level of prep to me that just doesn't translate the additional time to enough flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad