The Menu 18th Edition The Daymond Lankow/ Surrounded by Ahos Steak Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Nice! I live in ob so always good to see people there.

Hodad's for burgers is a decent choice. I don't think they are anything special but they are pretty iconic.

Pizza port in ocean beach/solana beach/carlsbad has good beer and a really good beer/pizza lunch special. 2 slices and a beer for under 10.

Bar 1502 / OB Noodle House has great wings and really good pho.

If you like Ballast Point I suggest dropping into one of their locations, they'll end up having a ton of beer that they don't bottle/can.

Modern Times on the outskirt of OB/PL (Ocean beach/ Point Loma) is a very good choice for beer as well.
Got dinner reservations in n little Italy tonight, so we're going to go to ballist point prior.

Reactions: Starat327

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Got dinner reservations in n little Italy tonight, so we're going to go to ballist point prior.

Heck yeah doing it right!

Should pop over to North Park after dinner and check out some of the breweries over there. The PB Stout by Belching Beaver is one of my favorites.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
PXL_20210805_013823923.jpg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Can confirm, belching beaver pb stout is one of the only legit PB stouts that doesn't taste like shit.

So many breweries do a terrible job of trying to replicate a flavoring.

I think the San Diego beer scene is a bit overrated but I'm not particularly a fan of IPAs. They tend to all blend together while a great lager/pilsner can really stand out.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Going to the zoo tomorrow. Think I got this stop added in there.

For now, we're enjoying some salt&straw

Better put on your walking boots, the zoo is huge.

Salt and straw I've heard is great, but I haven't made it there yet.

Hash house a go go is pretty great for breakfast but insanely large portions and not cheap. Dollar per dollar I'd probably just stop at a burrito shop and enjoy one on the beach up in north county. Cardiff/Del Mar/Solana beach would be great for that. Could head to mission beach with one but watch out for Slo-mo gliding along on the boardwalk.

Catch the sunset at sunset cliffs. Pick up a beer, throw it in the brown bag and take it in. I recommend olive tree market for this, their beer selection is really good and their sandwiches are great if you're hungry (deli closes at 5? though) . There's a park at the end that's great for a short walk. Parking in the neighborhood might be easier than on sunset cliffs blvd as well.

EDIT: Can't believe I've forgotten to mention this but since it seems like drinking beer is one of the reasons for coming out to SD you need to go to White Labs. They sell yeast to a ton of different beer breweries but the most interesting aspect is you can try beers that are brewed the same but with different yeast strains. Yeast and Fermentation | White Labs

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Better put on your walking boots, the zoo is huge.

Salt and straw I've heard is great, but I haven't made it there yet.

Hash house a go go is pretty great for breakfast but insanely large portions and not cheap. Dollar per dollar I'd probably just stop at a burrito shop and enjoy one on the beach up in north county. Cardiff/Del Mar/Solana beach would be great for that. Could head to mission beach with one but watch out for Slo-mo gliding along on the boardwalk.

Catch the sunset at sunset cliffs. Pick up a beer, throw it in the brown bag and take it in. I recommend olive tree market for this, their beer selection is really good and their sandwiches are great if you're hungry. There's a park at the end that's great for a short walk. Parking in the neighborhood might be easier than on sunset cliffs blvd as well.
Between walking Torrey Pines on Monday then walking Torrey Pines park, I walked almost 20 miles on Monday. I heard the zoo is huge, but I don't think I'll walk over that much tomorrow lol.

We went to sunset cliffs today. Not for the sunset, but we walked the entire stretch from the neighborhood up to the park and a little bit of the park itself. We're going to end the trip on Friday with a sunset cruise, so it wasn't too important we saw the sunset from the sunset cliffs

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So many breweries do a terrible job of trying to replicate a flavoring.

I think the San Diego beer scene is a bit overrated but I'm not particularly a fan of IPAs. They tend to all blend together while a great lager/pilsner can really stand out.

The PB stout thing is pretty much a 3-4 brewery race and BB is EASILY the best I've had. Hands down, no contest.

The scene out there is heavy in IPA for obvious reasons, and when I left CA, the lager/pilsner revolution in the craft beer scene hadn't yet begun, so I cant speak to it for the last 2 years or so. But before that, there were breweries out there that were so, so good at doing the WC thing right. Beachwood was SO good at WC ipas, and their spinoff (blendery?) Was so good at sours.

I'll find out when I go back out there in 2 months that for work I guess but Beachwood always did me right in my years out there.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Between walking Torrey Pines on Monday then walking Torrey Pines park, I walked almost 20 miles on Monday. I heard the zoo is huge, but I don't think I'll walk over that much tomorrow lol.

We went to sunset cliffs today. Not for the sunset, but we walked the entire stretch from the neighborhood up to the park and a little bit of the park itself. We're going to end the trip on Friday with a sunset cruise, so it wasn't too important we saw the sunset from the sunset cliffs

Sounds like you got it covered! Excellent!

Reactions: Cody Webster

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Ever been out to Nickel Beer Co? Was about an out outside the city. Great beer and beautiful country

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
That it is. Big fan. Pip and Freddy, man. GOATS.

Puppy Dog Pals (although since they changed Rolly's voice it's not as good).
T.O.T.S.
Bluey is the GOAT though.
Pip and Freddy drop some absolute bangers in the 2 seasons so far. Songs that get stuck in your head all day.

My son wasn't into Bluey much, but I'll force my daughter to watch it ASAP.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Ever been out to Nickel Beer Co? Was about an out outside the city. Great beer and beautiful country

Nickel is way out in Julian. You really gotta make that drive worth it by doing a few hikes out there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig