The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Will there ever come a day when we no longer have to hear about the Kessel trade?

Nope

What is it going to take for people to get over this?

A Stanley Cup.

But the Kessel trade will forever be a cautionary tale about trading your first round draft picks. No matter what Burke does for the rest of his hockey life, he will always be most known for that horrible trade. The trade is made even more egregious by the fact that, at the time it was made, Leafs fans were telling Burke "take your time" and "build slowly through the draft". There was absolutely no pressure on Burke (if anything, there was pressure on him to be bad, hence securing the draft picks), yet he still decided to make this idiotic, impatient move.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nope

A Stanley Cup.

But the Kessel trade will forever be a cautionary tale about trading your first round draft picks. No matter what Burke does for the rest of his hockey life, he will always be most known for that horrible trade. The trade is made even more egregious by the fact that, at the time it was made, Leafs fans were telling Burke "take your time" and "build slowly through the draft". There was absolutely no pressure on Burke (if anything, there was pressure on him to be bad, hence securing the draft picks), yet he still decided to make this idiotic, impatient move.

The Kessel trade was a bad? I had no idea. Thanks for the explanation. :rolleyes:

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
My beef with Kessel is this

He is supposedly our "best" player and he is being payed like one, yet he is not proving himself. Yes, I know he is getting chances but he needs to BURY them, I'm sorry but its pathetic how Kadri who is getting 3rd line minutes is outdoing him, I'll tell you a bad comparsion Kadri got 75% of Kessel's goal totals on the season in 1 game.

Also the last 3-4 games Kessel has been invisible, not creating chances, trying to go 1on3, turning the puck over, being lazy in his own end. I'm not saying Kessel has to be this big rock em' sock em player but he needs to get back to being an elite offensive player he was last year.

Not taking anything away from kadri, he is a phenomenal player! Do you really think kadri would have as many points as he has now playing against the teams shutdown line + top pairing defence men?

Yes Kessel is having an off year but hes taking the minutes against the top pairing defence men and the 2nd and 3rd lines are getting all the goals!
As long as we are winning games, who cares :sarcasm:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Kessel was playing much better during his 0-goals drought than he is now.

The last few games have been soft and anonymous. More than his shot, Kessel's biggest strength is his skating - he needs to get back to that.

As good as JvR has been, I think Phil needs Lupul back - another highly skilled puck possession guy & a big body. The pair created so much space for each other last year; that's the sort of space that Phil is missing right now

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If people don't want to talk about the Kessal trade perhaps it's not very wise to come into a Kessal trade thread.

You guys know you have the option of just ignoring the thread right?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If people don't want to talk about the Kessal trade perhaps it's not very wise to come into a Kessal trade thread.

You guys know you have the option of just ignoring the thread right?

Believe me, it's been said before. The message never really hits home.

I think why they come in here and start causing trouble for people who are well within their right to complain about this terrible trade, is because they don't want people talking about it plain and simple.

Which to me is strange because this is a discussion board and not Soviet Russia where we censor our thoughts.

And yes, you are correct, there is actually an IGNORE THREAD option on this forum. Maybe certain posters should use it rather than "Troll Hunt" (wtf?)

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Nope
No matter what Burke does for the rest of his hockey life, he will always be most known for that horrible trade.

Yeah, right, Cup winning GM will be haunted forever by perception of one trade by some fans. lol :laugh:

PS. Sorry, cannot resist.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
continuing phrase in the subject:

... because Kessel is injured.

I think he looks drastically different than in the beginning of the season. He definitely took contact then, but avoids it last few games even at cost just leaving it there and skating away.

I remember one game he was hit hard at center ice near benches and looked that way since.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
continuing phrase in the subject:

... because Kessel is injured.

I think he looks drastically different than in the beginning of the season. He definitely took contact then, but avoids it last few games even at cost just leaving it there and skating away.

I remember one game he was hit hard at center ice near benches and looked that way since.

I've mentioned that in the past as well, seems pretty apparent if you watch all season with eyes wide open.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not quite, it's pretty much a wash. Although the Leafs still got easily the best player in the deal.

Reality...

Dougie Hamilton (rookie) : 11 points in 19 games (47 point pace)
Tyler Seguin (3rd year) : 15 points in 19 games (64 point pace)

Total : 26 points

Phil Kessel (7th year) : 16 points in 22 games (59 point pace)

Total: 16 points

Quantitative advantage goes to Boston.

Qualitatively, it's rather obvious both of the players Boston has are way better defensively than Kessel (softest player in the league). So the edge again has to go to Boston.

So in other words, this was quite possibly the worst trade Toronto has seen in decades, and only has the potential to get worse, not better. So no, not a wash in the slightest. Feel free to come up with some sort of proof to back this unsubstantiated opinion, though.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Believe me, it's been said before. The message never really hits home.

I think why they come in here and start causing trouble for people who are well within their right to complain about this terrible trade, is because they don't want people talking about it plain and simple.

Which to me is strange because this is a discussion board and not Soviet Russia where we censor our thoughts.

And yes, you are correct, there is actually an IGNORE THREAD option on this forum. Maybe certain posters should use it rather than "Troll Hunt" (wtf?)

I'm sorry, but you read it wrong. It's not thread about why Kessel's trade suck. It's thread about why media is more laid back this season. And people, perhaps, want to discuss what is said in subject and not turn this thread into 1000 other that were turned into argument about Kessel trade. And you obviously want to discuss Kessel trade and therefore you are in wrong thread. :shakehead

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So in other words, this was quite possibly the worst trade Toronto has seen in decades, and only has the potential to get worse, not better.

It wasn't even the worst trade we had made with Boston in a 5-6 year span.

Rask for Raycroft was worse.

In the Kessel trade, we got a guy who finished 6th in scoring.

In the Rask trade, we traded a quality #1 goalie for a train-wreck of a goalie who you could easily argue cost us a playoff birth or more.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It wasn't even the worst trade we had made with Boston in a 5-6 year span.

Rask for Raycroft was worse.

Raycroft won us 37 games and took us closer to the playoffs than Kessel ever did.

What has Rask done for Boston that we should be losing sleep over?

Not like he was an integral part of the Cup Winning team like Seguin was.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I've mentioned that in the past as well, seems pretty apparent if you watch all season with eyes wide open.

Great minds think alike. Cheers. :)
Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious. Probably ribs injury or something, but he tries to hold the fort as we are in PO position right now and losing him would hurt the team badly.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Raycroft won us 37 games and took us closer to the playoffs than Kessel ever did.

He won 37 games because he played over 70 on a pretty good team. He was terrible and cost us more games than he helped win. His save % was like .890

What has Rask done for Boston that we should be losing sleep over?

Be a quality #1 goalie? Even if he played second fiddle to Thomas for a bit, he's that good. Don't forget we also had to trade for Toskala after it became apparent that Raycroft would never play well again. Having Rask probably would have prevented that.

Not like he was an integral part of the Cup Winning team like Seguin was.

Sequin wasn't intergral. He had one great game and played limited minutes.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
In the Kessel trade, we got a guy who finished 6th in scoring.

In the Rask trade, we traded a quality #1 goalie for a train-wreck of a goalie who you could easily argue cost us a playoff birth or more.

We don't know the future so you can't actually say that the Kessel trade isn't or is worse.

He could walk for all you know and then we are left with sweet nothing. He could demand $8 million a year leaving us handcuffed and never lead us anywhere or fade away.

Sorry bud, but you don't know the future.

All I have are numbers that two of the three pieces we moved to Boston are outproducing Kessel collectively in virtually every aspect of the game...and its not even close really.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Yes we lost the Kessel trade, I'm over it. We've also won our fair share of trades of late as well.

In the end, the team is better than it was, so why not focus on the team right now? Let's just be thankful we have a very good player on our roster for our trouble.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He won 37 games because he played over 70 on a pretty good team. He was terrible and cost us more games than he helped win. His save % was like .890

Took us closer to the playoffs than any other season Kessel was with us.

Be a quality #1 goalie? Even if he played second fiddle to Thomas for a bit, he's that good.

Never factored into them winning the Cup at all. Boston wins the Cup with or without Rask on the bench.

Sequin wasn't intergral. He had one great game and played limited minutes.

If Seguin doesn't light up Tampa they don't advance...I'd say that's pretty integral.

16 games to win the Cup and Seguin personally grabs 1....yet not integral...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad