The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I agree we don't have the best balance at the moment.. but that'll come as Franson, Rielly and Gards continue to develop and become much better when it comes to defensive positioning to compliment their offensive games.

Ranger needs to sit in the press box once Fraser gets back too... I don't see what Ranger brings to the team that we don't already have in spades and I'm not interested in watching him get his game back at the cost of wins.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
if we trade him for anything short of a center with the same type of potential then we lose that trade.

it would be so stupid to trade him right now.how about PLAY him right now.

Really not liking alot of Carlyles decisions lately, but we are 4-1, so i cant argue.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I love Gardiner - but when you think about it, something has to give.

With Phaneuf, Franson, Reilly, and Gardiner all being offensive, and neither Ranger nor Gunnar being truly a defensive D, we have a gaping hole to fill in the makeup of our blue line.

Guys like Blacker, and Percy will help shift the balance with their two way play. MacWilliam and Granberg can fill a defensive role when they are ready ... but in the meantime we are far too offensive on the back end, with no where near enough defensive acumen. Add to that we have only one right handed shot (which makes a difference) - and you have to think at some point we will need to bring in a solid defensive D man to replace one of the offensive guys.

I'm not saying Gardiner gets traded for one - but he could get moved for assets, and to create the room for a Defensive D. The way I see it, Franson isn't going anywhere, as he brings solid all round play to his offensive numbers - Rielly ... forget about it - so the only options are Gardiner or Phaneuf ... but they would need a couple of Rielly, Franson, and Gardiner showing able to step into the those big minutes before moving the Captain - and I'm not sure this year is the year for that to happen.

Blacker is not a 2 way defenceman, and i like how you are writing off Gardiner as expendable as in hes hit his peak and then implying someone like Percy or Blacker could replace it with better defence.

People keep forgetting about our last "stay at home" defenceman. Komisarek, Finger, Frogren,Schenn,really knocked it out of the park. Right now in the current NHL you need mobile defenceman more then you need defensive. Gardiner is the best skater we have back there besides Reilly.Gardiner can be taught to play better defensively, take less risks and make safer plays while being positionally sound. I would rather we take the time to do that then trade him and watch Franson walk at the end of the year and then need another offensive d-man. You know, the same thing we're trying to do with Reilly. Develop.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I love Gardiner - but when you think about it, something has to give.

With Phaneuf, Franson, Reilly, and Gardiner all being offensive, and neither Ranger nor Gunnar being truly a defensive D, we have a gaping hole to fill in the makeup of our blue line.
Guys like Blacker, and Percy will help shift the balance with their two way play. MacWilliam and Granberg can fill a defensive role when they are ready ... but in the meantime we are far too offensive on the back end, with no where near enough defensive acumen. Add to that we have only one right handed shot (which makes a difference) - and you have to think at some point we will need to bring in a solid defensive D man to replace one of the offensive guys.

I'm not saying Gardiner gets traded for one - but he could get moved for assets, and to create the room for a Defensive D. The way I see it, Franson isn't going anywhere, as he brings solid all round play to his offensive numbers - Rielly ... forget about it - so the only options are Gardiner or Phaneuf ... but they would need a couple of Rielly, Franson, and Gardiner showing able to step into the those big minutes before moving the Captain - and I'm not sure this year is the year for that to happen.

Eventually this will have to be sorted out, but let's wait a bit. We arent contending yet and we will regret if we trade gardiner when his value is low.

If nonis picks gardiner as the odd man out, then fine. But wait until he starts regaining form and the package we will get in return will be substantially higher.

Lets not make the same mistake with gardiner that philly made with JVR

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
People have to get over the idea that slow physical defwnsemen make your team better defensively.

w/Fraser: 2gms, 34.5sha/60min, 90.9pk%
w/Rielly: 3gms, 33.1sha/60min, 100.0pk%

Dmen who can skate and handle the puck >>> slugs

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
People have to get over the idea that slow physical defwnsemen make your team better defensively.

w/Fraser: 2gms, 34.5sha/60min, 90.9pk%
w/Rielly: 3gms, 33.1sha/60min, 100.0pk%

Dmen who can skate and handle the puck

it would help if the media would stop drilling in "our heads" that we need one too. :laugh: sometimes that's what happens (for me). tsn or whatever will be like the LEAFS NEED THIS and I sort of get swept away for a while.

i think we can totally have the defense core we have if they play to their strengths and then play really defensive minded hockey.

wulfio*

it would help if the media would stop drilling in "our heads" that we need one too. :laugh: sometimes that's what happens (for me). tsn or whatever will be like the LEAFS NEED THIS and I sort of get swept away for a while.

i think we can totally have the defense core we have if they play to their strengths and then play really defensive minded hockey.

Just remind yourself that the media are a bunch of talking heads that don't know how to skate. That should help you disregard most of what they have to say.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
All I know is back before the seedings for draft were known I had said I hoped the Monahan pick had landed with Edmonton and they'd consider trading the pick to us for Gardiner. Love Gardiner but man, Monahan's looking even better than I imagined (at least didn't expect it this early).

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I'd trade Gardiner, Bernier and a 1st for any of edmontons 6 million men. Probably an overpayment but damn, our forwards would be so feared.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
I'd trade Gardiner, Bernier and a 1st for any of edmontons 6 million men. Probably an overpayment but damn, our forwards would be so feared.

So what you're saying is that based on the first 5 games of the season you think our scoring is the biggest issue and worth sacrificing a promising D-man, a goalie with star potential and a 1st round pick?

This pains me.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Jeez. Its an overpayment but would edmonton consider anything less? To add another elite ppg forward would be awesome especially when we have Bernier and Rielly as better options in the future. Yeah, it mortages some short term assets but a Hall, Eberle or Nugent is easily worth at least Bernier and Gardiner. Just made sense to add a late first to it.

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
Jeez. Its an overpayment but would edmonton consider anything less? To add another elite ppg forward would be awesome especially when we have Bernier and Rielly as better options in the future. Yeah, it mortages some short term assets but a Hall, Eberle or Nugent is easily worth at least Bernier and Gardiner. Just made sense to add a late first to it.

I don't care about trading a 1st for the right young talent, but I really don't think that Gardiner and Bernier should be considered short term assets.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nice game for Jake tonight. Seems he's rounding into form. Gardiner-Ranger was maybe our best pairing tonight.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010

Has anyone of these guys played in the playoffs? No.

How many points has they produced in the playoffs? 0.

Terrible trade. It'll come down to one of the worth trades in history. Short term gain... That's how we lost rask, neids,couture. Sounds like the preburke era.

Gutting your team for Ovie,malkin,stamkos won't win you cups. (And the oilers aren't even to that level)

Gardiner for a top6 talent prospect is the only risk ill take. Hertl, couts, tarasenko, kunetneov

Last edited:

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Has anyone of these guys played in the playoffs? No.

How many points has they produced in the playoffs? 0.

Terrible trade. It'll come down to one of the worth trades in history. Short term gain... That's how we lost rask, neids,couture. Sounds like the preburke era.

Gutting your team for Ovie,malkin,stamkos won't win you cups. (And the oilers aren't even to that level)

Gardiner for a top6 talent prospect is the only risk ill take. Hertl, couts, tarasenko, kunetneov

We are an offensive powerhouse and adding another elite top liner will push us closer to the cup. We have Percy almost NHL ready within a year or two. Gardiner is a great talent but we have better in Rielly. I'll be happy keeping both but it's asset management to get more top end talent. Gotta give to get. We still have Phaneuf and Franson as good point producers on top of our pipeline. Either way it wasnt to be taken seriously, it's just what i would personally feel help the team reach the cup. I want to be an offensive powerhouse, trade from depth to get top end talent.

mikebel111*

We are an offensive powerhouse and adding another elite top liner will push us closer to the cup. We have Percy almost NHL ready within a year or two. Gardiner is a great talent but we have better in Rielly. I'll be happy keeping both but it's asset management to get more top end talent. Gotta give to get. We still have Phaneuf and Franson as good point producers on top of our pipeline. Either way it wasnt to be taken seriously, it's just what i would personally feel help the team reach the cup. I want to be an offensive powerhouse, trade from depth to get top end talent.

We already are one. No need to get another forward. Absolutely no reason to trade bernier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad