The market for Gardiner is being evaluated

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Don't know where to start.
Dry for goaltenders, . We seemed to have gotton one.
Lowball deal, not full value???. That was if Lou was involved. No one saw Cory going. Hands were not tied there. Seemed to be at least one other GM mighty pissed he did not get him. Another Western team willing to pay more.

Yes, and we paid a 2nd, a 25 year old 2nd/3rd line winger and a backup, we totally paid an arm and a leg for Bernier! :help:

Goaltenders tend not to get full value when there's only 30 spots in the league so most teams have their guy for the right now or think they have their guy for the long-term already there and don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

You know what, there's no point arguing this. You're gonna keep thinking that we're selling Gardiner off for scraps, and there's just no need. The proof will be in whatever happens. He's probably not even going anywhere, but if he is, I promise you it will be for more than a 2nd and a B prospect.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Knee-jerk reaction much?

After ONE good playoff series (that we lost), Gardiner was the best defenceman ever!!!

Four games later his value is at an all-time low...

I guess a week from now his value might be at an all-time high going by that rollercoaster of public opinion.

Yes, the untouchable Gardiner. I recall. I reminded people back then to check their optimism, lost in all of Gardiner's glory was his gaffe losing the puck in front of Reimer that sealed our season in OT.

It is becoming more apparent Jake will always be high risk, high reward. He is the definition of a rollarcoaster ride.

SteveV*

Schultz had 3 less points in almost 30 games than Gardiner's career high.

Schultz looked very good last season for a rookie.

Gardiner has played just over one NHL season of games, "career high", that's funny.

Tyler Biggs*

Wow...the Toronto media really can't help itself writing stupid meaningless articles lately to keep feeding the machine. Four games in and we've traded Jake Gardiner, Paul Ranger. Cody Franson and of course we've traded Phaneuf about 6000 times over as well.

So a few GM's call about Franson during his hold out then "ask" about Gardiner and it's big news cause he hasn't played to his potential in all of what....4 games into the season? Or is it Carlyle wants to trade Gardiner cause he won't play the system?

The Oilers have far higher draft picks than we have and they haven't even made the playoffs yet but we need to trade half of our young defense core 4 games into the season???

I can't decide what's more absurd. The media reporting literally NOTHING and constantly CREATING controversy or all the arm chair GM's demanding who should or shouldn't be traded literally on a game by game basis.

Fact is the Leafs are a young team and not contenders at this point. They have made progress as a franchise by NOT making snap decisions with youth and trading them early in their careers. They are developing their players for a change and look to add pieces when opportunity arises (Bolland, Bernier etc.). Look at what snap decisions have done for the Flyers as they continue to make moves every time things don't go well.

Look at the Leafs for what they are. An up and coming young team with the potential to make some noise if they develop some chemistry. Will it happen over night....no. Will they pull it together and make the playoffs...maybe. If they don't, I can assure you, trading all their youth isn't the answer.

Fortunately, Nonis doesn't appear to be a guy that the media or fan base is going to be influenced into a decision he doesn't think is good for the franchise long term.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Lets see:
Rookie allstar team.
30 point rookie year
"Best defenseman in the AHL" -Cherry
nicknamed 'silver' by teammates because he played like a vet in his first year
played 30+ minutes night in the A
had 60+ ppg in the A

and we want to trade him for:
a 2nd (we drafted ross, ryan, blacker, finn with our seconds)

And a B prospect... (Biggs, D'Amigo, Colborne)

Hmmmmm. Ya I would just keep him. People make it seem like theres a gun pointed to nonis' head to trade gardiner and his 875k salary.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Wow...the Toronto media really can't help itself writing stupid meaningless articles lately to keep feeding the machine. Four games in and we've traded Jake Gardiner, Paul Ranger. Cody Franson and of course we've traded Phaneuf about 6000 times over as well.

So a few GM's call about Franson during his hold out then "ask" about Gardiner and it's big news cause he hasn't played to his potential in all of what....4 games into the season? Or is it Carlyle wants to trade Gardiner cause he won't play the system?

The Oilers have far higher draft picks than we have and they haven't even made the playoffs yet but we need to trade half of our young defense core 4 games into the season???

I can't decide what's more absurd. The media reporting literally NOTHING and constantly CREATING controversy or all the arm chair GM's demanding who should or shouldn't be traded literally on a game by game basis.

Fact is the Leafs are a young team and not contenders at this point. They have made progress as a franchise by NOT making snap decisions with youth and trading them early in their careers. They are developing their players for a change and look to add pieces when opportunity arises (Bolland, Bernier etc.). Look at what snap decisions have done for the Flyers as they continue to make moves every time things don't go well.

Look at the Leafs for what they are. An up and coming young team with the potential to make some noise if they develop some chemistry. Will it happen over night....no. Will they pull it together and make the playoffs...maybe. If they don't, I can assure you, trading all their youth isn't the answer.

Fortunately, Nonis doesn't appear to be a guy that the media or fan base is going to be influenced into a decision he doesn't think is good for the franchise long term.

What amazes me is that the Oilers "young core" get all types of compliments from people in the media but can never come to terms giving the Leafs any type of full compliment. When they do say something good it's also combined in with a negative comment. We made the playoffs last season as one of the youngest teams in the league and we're 4-1 to start the season as the 3rd or 4th youngest team and yet the media in this city can't come to grips that this is actually a really good hockey team

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
actually, with Broll and Leivo up, we're officially the youngest team in the league (by a good margin, too).

but yeah, it's funny - not one person in the media has been able to once simply state that the leafs have a young core of elite talent. They just can't say it. It's unreal.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

It's funny reading Canuck fans rip Nonis when he's the one that got Luongo for them. Without Luongo they are nowhere near the team that they are now, or had any of the success they've had recently. Nonis is IMO one of the best GM's in the league, he is never panicking or rushing to make a move. Always patient and picks the right time when he has full value. I've actually kept track of all his trades from the day he got hired (I have written them down on paper) He's made 8 trades since being hired and I haven't disagreed with any of them so far. He's done a solid job.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Lets see:
Rookie allstar team.
30 point rookie year
"Best defenseman in the AHL" -Cherry
nicknamed 'silver' by teammates because he played like a vet in his first year
played 30+ minutes night in the A
had 60+ ppg in the A

and we want to trade him for:
a 2nd (we drafted ross, ryan, blacker, finn with our seconds)

And a B prospect... (Biggs, D'Amigo, Colborne)

Hmmmmm. Ya I would just keep him. People make it seem like theres a gun pointed to nonis' head to trade gardiner and his 875k salary.

And people are calling Rielly a god?

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
He's not going anywhere. He looks good out there, even playing with Paul Ranger.

I think he is settling in and will have a great year.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I read that Nonis has been getting a lot of "calls" on Gardiner but has not been shopping him whatsoever. Nonis also mentioned that he wants an elite player or two coming back for him to even look at the proposals made by other GMs.

Somewhere, somehow, some ****** bag in Toronto took that story and flipped it completely. Nothing really to talk about here.

mikebel111*

I read that Nonis has been getting a lot of "calls" on Gardiner but has not been shopping him whatsoever. Nonis also mentioned that he wants an elite player or two coming back for him to even look at the proposals made by other GMs.

Somewhere, somehow, some ****** bag in Toronto took that story and flipped it completely. Nothing really to talk about here.

a team called and said if gardiner is available. nonis said anyone is available. from what I know, nonis is asking for a elite asset/assets. fell confidence in nonis.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

This.

Carlyle and Gardiner have denied any reports of a "rift" between them.

Leafs Management has said they are not shopping Gardiner but have been listening to offers on defensemen IN GENERAL since training camp.

They have said it would take a significant piece to trade Gardiner.

The main problem with the Toronto market shows again: We have the absolute worst hockey media in the world. Can the worst writers in any other market even approach the stupidity of just one of Cox, Simmons, or Feschuk?

SteveV*

Actually, Nonis was getting calls about Franson during training camp and GM's also inquired about other D, Gardiner obviously. This is the most ******** rumour mongering I've seen in awhile, and that's saying something. The thread title is also pure unmitigated ********. :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
actually, with Broll and Leivo up, we're officially the youngest team in the league (by a good margin, too).

but yeah, it's funny - not one person in the media has been able to once simply state that the leafs have a young core of elite talent. They just can't say it. It's unreal.

and even with everyone healthy and back, we go back to what? being 2nd youngest (after Edmonton?) at most 3rd youngest.

It's sort of like the media's lens is fully stuck on the Leafs team in 2005 or 2006. we can forgive Calgary "because they are rebuilding and slightly young." we can forgive Edmonton "because they are rebuilding and very young." We can forgive Florida, because they're Florida, but the Leafs are just a big ball of suck, never mind they're young or anything.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I love Gardiner - but when you think about it, something has to give.

With Phaneuf, Franson, Reilly, and Gardiner all being offensive, and neither Ranger nor Gunnar being truly a defensive D, we have a gaping hole to fill in the makeup of our blue line.

Guys like Blacker, and Percy will help shift the balance with their two way play. MacWilliam and Granberg can fill a defensive role when they are ready ... but in the meantime we are far too offensive on the back end, with no where near enough defensive acumen. Add to that we have only one right handed shot (which makes a difference) - and you have to think at some point we will need to bring in a solid defensive D man to replace one of the offensive guys.

I'm not saying Gardiner gets traded for one - but he could get moved for assets, and to create the room for a Defensive D. The way I see it, Franson isn't going anywhere, as he brings solid all round play to his offensive numbers - Rielly ... forget about it - so the only options are Gardiner or Phaneuf ... but they would need a couple of Rielly, Franson, and Gardiner showing able to step into the those big minutes before moving the Captain - and I'm not sure this year is the year for that to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad