The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Tough scene for Jim Benning wasting a 1st round pick in a good draft for “a jerk” for a guy that’s high on character he really dropped that ball on that one.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tough scene for Jim Benning wasting a 1st round pick in a good draft for “a jerk” for a guy that’s high on character he really dropped that ball on that one.

The notion that Benning likes to target "character" players is such horse shit lol.
He acquired Prust and Leipsic. He also tried to trade for and sign Lucic, dude is a moron who tried to fight a drunken fan outside of a bar in Vancouver.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes but if your core guys don't like him then it's not a good idea to keep him around.

I'm a firm believer in having a tight group. One of the best on paper teams i ever played for completely imploded when xxxx hit the fan. Was ugly and led to some dark times.

Not saying they didn't mess that deal up and McCann should have been in Utica anyway to let him mature. Had high hopes for Jared...too bad

I don't think there was ever anything to read into that. In the first few years under Benning the organization had a habit of passive aggressively trashing on players that got moved out. Remember, it was Florida that targeted Vancouver with their dmen looking at McCann, Benning agreed and volunteered to throw in a 2nd, but he did not initiate.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
We all knew the Canucks would not lose all their games so the team will win some here and there, but playing in the all Canada division makes it easy to see just how far the Canucks have come or need to go yet.

Once again some media are championing making the playoffs as THE level of achievement to prove a good to great team. While true you can't win the cup without getting into the playoffs it is also true half the team's in the league make the playoffs. In some cases being better than just 4 other teams grants a place especially if those other teams are rebuilding like LA, Anaheim, San Jose and Arizona, that makes getting into the playoffs almost a given.

Winnipeg and Edmonton can do Vancouver a huge favor and end this regime of ....not even mediocrity because that means middle and Benning's term is far below the middle.

His record is so bad there is nothing that could salvage his job now. That Mr Aquilini has decide to let him die the death of a thousand cuts might just show how Frank really feels behind closed doors.

A sweep by the Peg and the Oilers ought to do it. Already the Canucks have to win slightly more than 5 out every 8, they are still 27th in the league, pretty much the average since Benning was hired with the exception of the COVID intervention

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Rumblings at the draft.
Beth... whatever
Andrey is saying a lot actually
Media had written about it.
Gets traded rather quickly which isn't much of an endorsement for a 20yr old.
Some statements made from the Sedin's and other vets if i remember correctly

Maybe he hung out with DeAngelo too much in SSmarie idk

I think it's fairly obvious he had some respect issues for certain people.

As most of us have said...they should have sent him to Utica and let him mature. I hated that trade from the minute i heard it.

So no proof then besides theories or conjecture.

Florida approached Vancouver about McCann, perhaps Jim valued Gudbranson more than McCann. I don't think that's evidence of his attitude.

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
Benning specifically targeted players with no character. Nogoodbranson saying the rookie was dragging the line down(it was him), sutter saying other guys dont have the balls like he does (lol), eriksson cashing in and coasting around, + the other aforementioned guys

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
My co-worker claims that Elliotte Friedman said the Canucks were negotiating with Gillis to become president, with Laurence Gilman as GM. He claims he saw it on Canucks Army and some other Canuck fan website but it was deleted.

Don't want to call my co-worker naive, but he's the only serious Canucks fan around my work.

I smell BS, as I keep my ears pretty close to Canucks rumours. Did I miss something, or is there any proof of this?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Florida approached Vancouver about McCann, perhaps Jim valued Gudbranson more than McCann. I don't think that's evidence of his attitude.
Was it Bartkoeski’s mother who had interesting things to say about McCann?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My co-worker claims that Elliotte Friedman said the Canucks were negotiating with Gillis to become president, with Laurence Gilman as GM. He claims he saw it on Canucks Army and some other Canuck fan website but it was deleted.

Don't want to call my co-worker naive, but he's the only serious Canucks fan around my work.

I smell BS, as I keep my ears pretty close to Canucks rumours. Did I miss something, or is there any proof of this?
If this was to happen (Gills as President, and Gilman as GM) it would be great. Get Bracket back too.

Reactions: MarkMM

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

I mean that would be epic, so it's probably not going to happen.

Reactions: Bubbles

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Was it Bartkoeski’s mother who had interesting things to say about McCann?

It was, but really how much was she around him during the mother's trip? Maybe he had a rough couple days. Or maybe, if anyone listened to the 1040 interview with her, she was just a little much for him, and he tried to avoid her etc.

I don't put any stock into what she said.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It was, but really how much was she around him during the mother's trip? Maybe he had a rough couple days. Or maybe, if anyone listened to the 1040 interview with her, she was just a little much for him, and he tried to avoid her etc.

I don't put any stock into what she said.
Usually mom’s are pretty good at judging character. And for her to publicly say something like that about McCann was interesting, if not revealing.
Even so, it was a bad trade by Benning.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Usually mom’s are pretty good at judging character. And for her to publicly say something like that about McCann was interesting, if not revealing.
Even so, it was a bad trade by Benning.

She was verbal diarrhea in her radio spot, just blurting out whatever. She didn't even say McCann by name just that "little 19 year old. " Jake was 19 at the time as well.

I mean if people want to take her word as gospel maybe the Canucks should have hired her to their scouting department to be a judge of character.

Reactions: Peter10

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
She was verbal diarrhea in her radio spot, just blurting out whatever. She didn't even say McCann by name just that "little 19 year old. " Jake was 19 at the time as well.

I mean if people want to take her word as gospel maybe the Canucks should have hired her to their scouting department to be a judge of character.
Hey, you’re the poster asking for evidence. This lady met the players, and that was her opinion of McCann.
Your choice to accept her first hand experience or not.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I don't think it's conjecture when an ex teammate takes a run at a guy. That rarely happens to anyone in public

Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks
I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

Rumours of the Canucks’ displeasure with McCann’s attitude have been prevalent for a while now - Offside

The guys seemed extra heated towards him today. Even Hutton took a shot at him. What happened between him and the locker room?

Beth Bartkowski said everyone on the team is so nice "except that little 19 year old" (McCann) - Canucks Army

I don't think it was any reason to move him out at the time. He was a kid. Im not making excuses for a horrible trade because that's exactly what it was. This talk about McCann started around "we had a 3rd line C in the system and traded him"

I simply made a generic statement that if the core doesn't like him then you likely don't want to keep him around.

Not without trying and not without some time in Utica. I think it was a bigger deal because of how poorly Benning dealt with it

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

That's basically what the Oilers did with Kevin Lowe.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The notion that Benning likes to target "character" players is such horse shit lol.
He acquired Prust and Leipsic. He also tried to trade for and sign Lucic, dude is a moron who tried to fight a drunken fan outside of a bar in Vancouver.

I think Benning does try to target character players, but like a lot of his other decisions, the execution is just bad.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You forgot meeting for endless free lunches in airless rooms, resulting in needing afternoon naps where you dream of a Cup:

But then you wake up once again to find that Beagle, Sutter, Roussel and Erickson are still clogging up your crappy 3rd and 4th lines; acting like quicksand, between you and those dreams...

and you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here:

Off topic here, but the movie sequence playing under this music video was from "Blue Velvet", one 1986 sick flick.

I just watched it for the umpteenth time last week on HBO. Hypocrite much? LOL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Off topic here, but the movie sequence playing under this music video was from "Blue Velvet", one 1986 sick flick.

I just watched it for the umpteenth time last week on HBO. Hypocrite much? LOL
Considering I listened to this song as a kid in the 60’s and have never heard of this 80’s movie (RO is famous and the movie clearly not so much) maybe RO wasn’t thinking of the movie when he did the original song?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Considering I listened to this song as a kid in the 60’s and have never heard of this 80’s movie (RO is famous and the movie clearly not so much) maybe RO wasn’t thinking of the movie when he did the original song?

I love RO. Have most everything he recorded. You see the movie stuff running underneath the video. The movie used the song which Roy released in 1963. The song never even charted in the US. He had no inclination this song would end up in a sick flick like this. At the time of the 1986 release of this movie, he hadn't had a major hit since 1964's "Pretty Woman". The rights to use the song were purchased and I'm betting they paid a good buck for it and I'm sure Roy welcomed the increase to his income.

When I was 13 I used to play this song over and over at home while pining over a girl that didn't acknowledge I was alive. My father threatened to smash my record player if I didn't stop playing it. LOL

OH, incidentally, I married that girl in 1972 and we have had a fabulous marriage over the next 48 years and counting.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I love RO. Have most everything he recorded. You see the movie stuff running underneath the video. The movie used the song which Roy released in 1963. The song never even charted in the US. He had no inclination this song would end up in a sick flick like this. At the time of the 1986 release of this movie, he hadn't had a major hit since 1964's "Pretty Woman". The rights to use the song were purchased and I'm betting they paid a good buck for it and I'm sure Roy welcomed the increase to his income.

When I was 13 I used to play this song over and over at home while pining over a girl that didn't acknowledge I was alive. My father threatened to smash my record player if I didn't stop playing it. LOL

OH, incidentally, I married that girl in 1972 and we have had a fabulous marriage over the next 48 years and counting.
Most "youngsters" here probably thinking, Roy Orbison covered a Van Halen song?:laugh:

Reactions: Jack Burton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad