The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tossed away a 3C that he drafted for a #7D in NoGoodBranson.
Yes but if your core guys don't like him then it's not a good idea to keep him around.

I'm a firm believer in having a tight group. One of the best on paper teams i ever played for completely imploded when xxxx hit the fan. Was ugly and led to some dark times.

Not saying they didn't mess that deal up and McCann should have been in Utica anyway to let him mature. Had high hopes for Jared...too bad

Reactions: I am toxic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tossed away a 3C that he drafted for a #7D in NoGoodBranson.

If you want to be technical, he traded a 4C that he drafted for a #4/#5 right shot Dman. That 4C developed into a 3rd line C (who is considered more suitable to be on the wing) and the #4/#5 Dman was traded for a 2nd line winger.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
If you want to be technical, he traded a 4C that he drafted for a #4/#5 right shot Dman. That 4C developed into a 3rd line C (who is considered more suitable to be on the wing) and the #4/#5 Dman was traded for a 2nd line winger.

The man is a genius.

Reactions: Pavel96

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yes but if your core guys don't like him then it's not a good idea to keep him around.

I'm a firm believer in having a tight group. One of the best on paper teams i ever played for completely imploded when xxxx hit the fan. Was ugly and led to some dark times.

Not saying they didn't mess that deal up and McCann should have been in Utica anyway to let him mature. Had high hopes for Jared...too bad

I look at Calgary, and I look at WPG, and even tho I don't follow those teams at all, I get the sense that their coresare rotten.

giphy.gif

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I look at Calgary, and I look at WPG, and even tho I don't follow those teams at all, I get the sense that their coresare rotten.

giphy.gif
Not sure about the Jets.

But Calgary has some issues that may come to roost very soon

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well if you're going to be technical, don't forget 33rd overall as well....Debrincat was a scouts favourite that year as well.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The man is a genius.

Thanks to Benning getting Guds, not only did we lose a 3C who's age would match our core, he also wrecked a 3rd pairing D who could cover 2nd pairing duties in a pinch, eventually losing him for nothing.

To get a 2LW that at best will not move the needle, and at worst will help maintain the mediocrity that will prevent us from getting top 5 draft picks. And of course, by the time the team is ready to compete, he will have aged out.

Well, saying ready to compete about a Benning constructed team is an oxymoron.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Meh, he was a kid. Like literally, 19 years old. He should've never been in the league like you said. Should've been allowed to go to the WJC etc

I look at this team now and I see a lot of nice guys. Nice guys don't win. You've got to have assholes on your team, we've got Miller and ...... and ......

Beagle's fake tough shoving matches are not assholish. Motte seems to have developed some asshole through training camp, but they need some nasty boys. Some guys who get pissy.

Not saying McCann is that, but I don't think you can have a team of all Bo Horvat's....I think that's Calgary's problem......everyone is mild mannered but one guy.

giphy.gif
Wheeler has too much power in that room. He's got a 1990's mentality and that just doesn't line up with how this generation wants and needs to be treated.

Reactions: I am toxic

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Meh, he was a kid. Like literally, 19 years old. He should've never been in the league like you said. Should've been allowed to go to the WJC etc

I look at this team now and I see a lot of nice guys. Nice guys don't win. You've got to have assholes on your team, we've got Miller and ...... and ......

Beagle's fake tough shoving matches are not assholish. Motte seems to have developed some asshole through training camp, but they need some nasty boys. Some guys who get pissy.

Not saying McCann is that, but I don't think you can have a team of all Bo Horvat's....I think that's Calgary's problem......everyone is mild mannered but one guy.

Wheeler has too much power in that room. He's got a 1990's mentality and that just doesn't line up with how this generation wants and needs to be treated.
So you want ass holes but think Wheeler and his asshole mentality is archaic?

Really it just comes down to competitiveness doesn't it? I mean no one would say Crosby is an asshole but he pisses people off with how hard he competes and his unwavering desire to do what it takes to win.

McCann was a straight up jerk and when you are a nobody...just keep your mouth shut and earn some respect. Nobody in the NHL cares that you were a star in SS Marie and a 1st round pick

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Really it just comes down to competitiveness doesn't it? I mean no one would say Crosby is an asshole but he pisses people off with how hard he competes and his unwavering desire to do what it takes to win.

McCann was a straight up jerk and when you are a nobody...just keep your mouth shut and earn some respect. Nobody in the NHL cares that you were a star in SS Marie and a 1st round pick

I probably missed this...what did he do?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I probably missed this...what did he do?

He was a cocky 20 year old. That's literally it.

There were comparisons in his game to a young Kesler and those same comparisons also mentioned that both of them had the same cocky attitude. Canucks viewed McCann as a bad influence on Virtanen (HAHAHAHA) and that's why he was put on the block.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I mean you say that, but has there really been proof besides what Beth Bartkowski or Andrey Pedan said? Because I don't think either of them are a great judge.

Rumblings at the draft.
Beth... whatever
Andrey is saying a lot actually
Media had written about it.
Gets traded rather quickly which isn't much of an endorsement for a 20yr old.
Some statements made from the Sedin's and other vets if i remember correctly

Maybe he hung out with DeAngelo too much in SSmarie idk

I think it's fairly obvious he had some respect issues for certain people.

As most of us have said...they should have sent him to Utica and let him mature. I hated that trade from the minute i heard it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Rumblings at the draft.
Beth... whatever

As most of us have said...they should have sent him to Utica and let him mature. I hated that trade from the minute i heard it.

The Sedins' comments were critical of younger players commitment to the game and taking things more seriously. If anything, this is probably more directed at Virtanen based on what we know about his offseason training and routinely showing up to camp out of shape.

Reactions: Luckylarry

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I've never met Jared McCann, so I can't remark whether he's a jerk or a nobody.

Assholes on the ice bud....I think Wheeler is an asshole of a teammate. I also think he gets away with a lot because "he cares". Bo cares and he gets grief because he's not an asshole to his teammates or throws them under the bus....wheeler does and he ain't perfect either.

If you can't tell the difference between a guy who's an asshole in the room vs on the ice, I don't know what to tell you. He was 19, not sure how old you are or what your personal meetings were with McCann but I think that's all a stupid tale and an excuse for why he was dealt. Look, I don't care if the Twins thought he was cocky or Beth Bartkowski didn't like him.

THinking about it, Quinn Hughes has a bit of that asshole in him, he's just a runt and can't do much with it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Rumblings at the draft.
Beth... whatever

He couldn't be sent to Utica, he was a junior player. He played his 19 year old season in the NHL and then got dumped.

Reactions: Pavel96

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Sedins' comments were critical of younger players commitment to the game and taking things more seriously. If anything, this is probably more directed at Virtanen based on what we know about his offseason training and routinely showing up to camp out of shape.
Yup that was a shot at the two pudgey dudes Hutton and Jake.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Rumblings at the draft.
Beth... whatever

Then there was Daniel Sedin's unusually candid condemnation of the play of certain teammates: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

I think he was referring to the rookies that year, including Ben Hutton. I often wondered if Green would have been able to straighten McCann out. He seems to have failed with Virtanen, and he punted Hutton out of the organization.

Reactions: sting101

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Then there was Daniel Sedin's unusually candid condemnation of the play of certain teammates: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

I think he was referring to the rookies that year, including Ben Hutton. I often wondered if Green would have been able to straighten McCann out. He seems to have failed with Virtanen, and he punted Hutton out of the organization.
I always thought he was calling out Vrbata.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Appears the Twins knew exactly what Jake was. Too bad Jake lacks the character to make the off ice sacrifices and commit to being a complete pro. He lacks compete.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Malhotra put up 30 points in 72 games (34 point pace), while providing elite defence and being deployed mostly in the defensive end. He's probably been our best 3C over the past couple of decades, sucks that his injury ended his prime right away.
Malhotra was playing top Qual Comp, in 24% offensive zone starts (essentially Beagle's minutes, just against better players) and had 30 points and was Up 28-25 in goal differential at 5 on 5. He was a beast that year. I only attended one game that year and he scored (against Boston) first time Boston was in town in 6 years and I told my wife, this looks like a Stanley Cup final preview....man I wished I was wrong, we would beat Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad