The Management Thread | White Hole Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It has nothing to do with valuing MacEwen. It’s about steering well clear of an albatross contract.

Although Drance recently confirmed suspicions @MS had that this management thinks they needed to protect Myers anyway.

It's laughably sad that they'd consider protecting Myers.

If anything you sell Sutter/Pearson and use those assets as sweetener to get rid of contracts.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The expansion draft does complicate the situation but we could have put Marky on a 2 year contract that is loaded with bonuses that Seattle would have to pay out for example.

Why would Markstrom do that? He was reaching UFA at the peak of his value, he was the best goalie available. He was looking for a long term contract, the contract that should set him up for life.

Reactions: tyhee

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There is no way in hell Seattle is taking Holtby *or* Myers. There will be 10 better goalies than Holtby available on better contracts, and Myers is a bottom-10 contract in the league.

The Canucks will lose one of Motte, MacEwen, or Lind, I'm pretty convinced.

Not to mention Holtby will make $2.9M salary this season and $5.7M next. Benning probably went in with the intention of Holtby being the guy for Seattle to pick, but then it came time to negotiate the details on the contract and how it turned out pretty much killed any chance of that. He isn't MA Fleury, and Seattle isn't going to take a mediocre 32 year goalie making almost $6M.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There is no way in hell Seattle is taking Holtby *or* Myers. There will be 10 better goalies than Holtby available on better contracts, and Myers is a bottom-10 contract in the league.

The Canucks will lose one of Motte, MacEwen, or Lind, I'm pretty convinced.

Yup. Or Juolevi. Or maybe Virtanen if he's still here, which is probably unlikely at this point.

I think we protect Motte, though.

There is absolutely zero chance they take Holtby given his current play. None. A guy like Jake Allen fits the same demographic, is playing lights-out over the past couple years, and has a cap hit that's $2 million less.

It has nothing to do with valuing MacEwen. It’s about steering well clear of an albatross contract.

Although Drance recently confirmed suspicions @MS had that this management thinks they needed to protect Myers anyway.

If Benning is still here you can carve it in stone that they protect Myers. A new GM, who knows.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This whole demko/markstrom debate is absolutely stupid cause you can move the goal posts as you wish to defend benning.
Here is what the thought process should be:
1: is this team ready to contend for deep into the playoffs or do we need to rebuild and wait 2-3 years?

If you think they are ready to go deep then you make the moves to keep markstrom. If you think we need to rebuild you keep demko and benning made the wrong moves.

Now if you advocate for keeping demko cause we need to rebuild ask yourself why the heck you think benning should be here for a second rebuild after screwing up so much in his first 7 years.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Definitely Motte.

Player that has hustle and drive, can play PK and chew defensive minutes, and has a scoring touch. These are the prototypical 4th liners that you dream to have when they are in their prime.

These are also the type of players that somehow get a moronic GM to offer a term contract above 2.5 mil as they are exiting their prime.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Protect Myers from Seattle? God, Benning better not waste a protection spot on Myers.

It's almost a certainty. But we don't really have many players that are worth protecting..

It's laughably sad that they'd consider protecting Myers.

I'm no expert myself, but I think you guys may want to read up on the expansion draft rules. You can either protect 7 forwards + 3 D + 1 goalie or 8 skaters + 1 goalie. Clearly the 7 forwards + 3 D option is the better value and there are very few circumstances where you want to go with protecting 8 skaters.

As of right now, the Canucks don't have a Dman to expose for the expansion draft. So they have to expose either Schmidt or Myers (absent a trade or re-signing). Between the two, I think exposing Myers should be a no brainer. But the reality may be a bit different.

Those who are angry at the idea that management would even consider protecting Myers should look at Green's usage of Myers. You know who leads all Canucks Dmen in even strength ice time and total ice time per game? Yep. It's Tyler Myers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm no expert myself, but I think you guys may want to read up on the expansion draft rules. You can either protect 7 forwards + 3 D + 1 goalie or 8 skaters + 1 goalie. Clearly the 7 forwards + 3 D option is the better value and there are very few circumstances where you want to go with protecting 8 skaters.

As of right now, the Canucks don't have a Dman to expose for the expansion draft. So they have to expose either Schmidt or Myers (absent a trade or re-signing). Between the two, I think exposing Myers should be a no brainer. But the reality may be a bit different.

Those who are angry at the idea that management would even consider protecting Myers should look at Green's usage of Myers. You know who leads all Canucks Dmen in even strength ice time and total ice time per game? Yep. It's Tyler Myers.
Expose Myers
Protect Schmidt, OJ, and ?
Which forwards do we protect?
Miller, Bo, Boeser, Petey (Lind?) ??
Protect Demko

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Juolevi needs to play only 16 of the last 37 games to qualify as our veteran exposed defender.

I've defended Myers recently but being 'useful this season' and 'having a horrible contract we'd like to get rid of long term' are definitely not mutually exclusive.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Why would Markstrom do that? He was reaching UFA at the peak of his value, he was the best goalie available. He was looking for a long term contract, the contract that should set him up for life.

I never said it was a solid plan just that with cap room you can at least try and spin something to regain assets, Benning did nothing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Juolevi needs to play only 16 of the last 37 games to qualify as our veteran exposed defender.

I've defended Myers recently but being 'useful this season' and 'having a horrible contract we'd like to get rid of long term' are definitely not mutually exclusive.
Doesn’t Chatfield need to play a similar number to be considered the “veteran exposed”?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So turns out we should have figured out a way to get MAF retained from Vegas when he was being offered up to the league instead of signing Holtby.

Reactions: vanuck

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So turns out we should have figured out a way to get MAF retained from Vegas when he was being offered up to the league instead of signing Holtby.

Sure but this would assume the knowledge of foresight in the people paid million of dollars per year to know these things.

In reality, they have yet to demonstrate they even possess the knowledge of hindsight.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

This is true but there's a number of ways around it that even a Benning team shouldn't need to expose someone they don't want to just to meet requirements. Having players like Chatfield or Juolevi meet requirements is one of them.

Although... even though they're going to be UFA's doesn't Benn and Hamonic still count as players exposed? I was going to say you could just throw a 1 year contract extension at one of them and their covered, but I'm pretty sure even on expiring contracts they count as exposed here.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is true but there's a number of ways around it that even a Benning team shouldn't need to expose someone they don't want to just to meet requirements. Having players like Chatfield or Juolevi meet requirements is one of them.

Although... even though they're going to be UFA's doesn't Benn and Hamonic still count as players exposed? I was going to say you could just throw a 1 year contract extension at one of them and their covered, but I'm pretty sure even on expiring contracts they count as exposed here.
Just play Chatfield instead of Benn. Two problems solved.

Reactions: geebaan and xtra

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What will probably happen though, is that Benning and Weisbrod will be attending the Dale Tallon School of League Expansion Drafts and will, together with their pal Murray in Anaheim, serve up valuable young assets to avoid losing devaluing veteran assets.

Benning and Weisbrod also have related experience already with the Madden trade, so they should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad