The Management Thread | Part Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Here's something that's not a waste of time:

What do you think of us potentially taking a step back next season due to our cap situation now that we finally made the playoffs after all those years? Curious to know what you think.
Its only been 48 hours since FA started, not over yet..
but I touched on it in the Free agent frenzy thread ..post #459.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Guillaume Brisbois is not a foreign name.?.If you don't speak French, it most definitely is foreign...Not everybody in the country has travelled to 50 countries , and lived in 8...Do yourself a favour, write down that name on a piece of paper and hand it out to to people ,.. and ask them to pronounce it..I think you'll be in for a surprise.

It's not even remotely pronounced the way it looks.
This point is really a steaming pile of stupidity.

Do you think guys talking about and drafting someone is akin to going up to someone random to ask them pronounce a name?

But again its just another bad faith argument on your part.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
C'est une des langues officielles du Canada bête
It doesnt really matter if its an official language or not because:

1) french is common enough in that nearly everyone older than 40 will have had to have taken some french.

2) even if you dont speak the language you are drafting someone you hope to develop a professional relationship with that taking 10 mins to learn how to pronounce is an entirely reasonable thing to do if you actual gave a shit.

I dont speak french and it was always the class I skipped first in HS and yet somehow I know how to pronounce the name of a kid Benning actually has a relationship with.

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
It doesnt really matter if its an official language or not because:

1) french is common enough in that nearly everyone older than 40 will have had to have taken some french.

2) even if you dont speak the language you are drafting someone you hope to develop a professional relationship with that taking 10 mins to learn how to pronounce is an entirely reasonable thing to do if you actual gave a shit.

I dont speak french and it was always the class I skipped first in HS and yet somehow I know how to pronounce the name of a kid Benning actually has a relationship with.
Well names are not benning's forte for sure. Managing a hockey team isnt either

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Dorsett was a good trade, I'll actually give Jim props for that. If it wasn't for the severity of the neck injury he would have paid dividends for us. He was a warrior

Dorsett for a 3rd wasn't a terrible trade, but his four year extension at a big raise (announced the same day as Sbisa's extension) was awful.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The name pronouncing at the draft isn't a big deal, at least at the team level. If anything it's on the NHL league office for not having phonetic spelling with the names like other sports would have for major public events.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
1096 beating the drum that the guy who was removed from the organization weeks late was the guy behind Beagle, Schaller and Roussel is so ridiculous that anyone actually giving him the courtesy of replying is just contributing to why this place has gone downhill.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
8.7 of 64.3 = 13.5% not 17%

That's 11 million in today's cap.

anyway the notion of 20 million for 1 and 2 good seasons is absolute madness

even the 2008 deal he took at 8.7 which you must be referencing was for 12.5 in cap today (around 15%)

and he was Sid Crosby. Were talking about the greatest player of the modern age for 12.5 and then 11 million long term
Go to capfriendly go to Crosby’s page. Scroll to his 08-13 five year extension.

CH% 17.3

Sidney Crosby - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Anyways wrong you were and you wanted to use Aho as a comp. 8.5 x 5 which is not team friendly at all. So figure it out. Be realistic look at things with a wide lens, bank on what you expect not hope.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Supported all of it? Not a chance.... Yep Granlund Sutter Del Zotto... players i thought could be decent for us...whoop de doo. may as well add Dahlen i was pretty happy about that one too.

If you think my arguments supported the direction in the 2014 to 2017 yrs your sorely out to lunch

Jesus we had reputable guys saying Brendan Gaunce was a 3C on this board and others crapping on the Pearson and Miller acquisitions? Yes Granlund thought he could help on a 3rd or 4th line....whatever

Why is it "brutal to be at this point"? A stud core and lots of nice prospects with NHL potential and some really good vets to surround them coming off a late game 7 goal from making the conference final.

yes "brutal to be at this point".
Lots of nice prospects. Ok.

Stud core. Capped out. Dreaming of getting Pettersson at 6m like Bergeron.

Covid playoffs.

Without pandemic do they make it? They weren’t trending to.

8th in fine west just got rid of 3 of the 10 best players on the team.

I guess you’re excited that the team is so squeezed to the cap for the next few years without the expectation of actually competing.

Id rather Gaunce today than Beagle. One costs me nothing. The other is costing me good players.

Reactions: JayBeautiful

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You're really wasting your time...
So you’re also of the belief the man who was pushed out was the driving force behind Schaller, Beagle and Roussel?

Why?

Like it’s not a waste of time to drum up excuses why a man involved in hockey for life can’t pronounce French words. That seems to me like a giant waste of time but you’ve gone an wasted time posting.

If you’re painting Linden with the Beagle/Roussel/Schaller brush your agenda is showing.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This point is really a steaming pile of stupidity.

Do you think guys talking about and drafting someone is akin to going up to someone random to ask them pronounce a name?

But again its just another bad faith argument on your part.
Hey be nice he was once on a staff of a team that had Patrick Burgeron

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think if you are conscientious and generally culturally aware you are going to at least try to pronounce a prospects hand correct when drafting that prospect. I’m not sure if it makes you stupid if you don’t, but obviously with Benning we have a ton of other evidence suggesting he’s an imbecile.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
It is foreign if u dont speak Francais..Do u get what I'm saying?

Comprenez vous..
No I don't get it, lol, because what you are writing is incredibly disingenuous.

Something is foreign if it is strange or unfamiliar, or from another country. Is French really that strange and unfamiliar for people living in Canada, where it is an official language?

Why is this even necessary? Best case he is being lazy, worst case it's incompetence - but let's change the meaning of words to make Jim look better.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Finally, a Jim Benning sighting.

4i4mas.jpg

Reactions: Jack Burton

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So since the rebuild is over as @Pastor Of Muppetz and other benning supporters said when we traded our first and second picks last year.

do the benning supporters agree that IT SHOULD BE playoffs or be fired this year?

or if the rebuild is over as was the premise
For defending the past moves what’s changed?
Given his off season so far, Benning should be fired now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Go to capfriendly go to Crosby’s page. Scroll to his 08-13 five year extension.

CH% 17.3

Sidney Crosby - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Anyways wrong you were and you wanted to use Aho as a comp. 8.5 x 5 which is not team friendly at all. So figure it out. Be realistic look at things with a wide lens, bank on what you expect not hope.
:huh:He signed it in 2007 for the 08/09 season.
Anyway were in a flat cap for the forseeable future which would have to be accounted for.

maybe this helps

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-pettersson-hughes-contract-projection/

Offering the two a contract now could help the Canucks get a cheaper deal, especially with both of them rapidly developing into better players. If the Canucks sign Pettersson this offseason, they can get him on a deal that is somewhat cheaper than the one the Maple Leaf’s gave to Matthews. Based on his point-per-game production in his first two seasons, a $10.5 million deal over five seasons would be fair. If the team waits for the final season to play out, Pettersson will likely have a breakout season and earn a contract north of $11.634 million.
Elias-Pettersson-Canucks-2-575x383.jpg

Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)
As for Hughes, a contract between $8 million to $11 million is likely with similar terms to Pettersson. The Canucks could offer both their cornerstone players identical deals like the Chicago Blackhawks had done with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. Offering both $10.5 million per season for five seasons is a possibility. The two would help out the Canucks a lot by taking a deal cheaper than the one suggested. This may be likely if the two value winning more than getting paid.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
:huh:He signed it in 2007 for the 08/09 season.
Anyway were in a flat cap for the forseeable future which would have to be accounted for.

maybe this helps

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-pettersson-hughes-contract-projection/

Offering the two a contract now could help the Canucks get a cheaper deal, especially with both of them rapidly developing into better players. If the Canucks sign Pettersson this offseason, they can get him on a deal that is somewhat cheaper than the one the Maple Leaf’s gave to Matthews. Based on his point-per-game production in his first two seasons, a $10.5 million deal over five seasons would be fair. If the team waits for the final season to play out, Pettersson will likely have a breakout season and earn a contract north of $11.634 million.
Elias-Pettersson-Canucks-2-575x383.jpg

Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)
As for Hughes, a contract between $8 million to $11 million is likely with similar terms to Pettersson. The Canucks could offer both their cornerstone players identical deals like the Chicago Blackhawks had done with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. Offering both $10.5 million per season for five seasons is a possibility. The two would help out the Canucks a lot by taking a deal cheaper than the one suggested. This may be likely if the two value winning more than getting paid.
The flat gap is still a higher number than it was.

I would rather be reasonable than hopeful. And I won’t be vilifying the kids as I imagine you will be if they sign market value deals it seems you might.

The thing is taking less doesn’t guarantee winning. Professional sports careers are finite and don’t have a long earning windows.

I would just expect them to be paid like top 20 players and be happy about it while hoping the club can find someone to manage building around them.

Expect more from your GM rather than expecting superstars to take haircuts because of his incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad