The Luongo Thread: Just The Beginning (mod warning in post #445)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't really care about moving Luo to Edmonton.

They're going to be a nightmare anyway, and are likely the ones who would pay the most. I don't really want Dubnyk but I'd entertain more of a Hemsky + lesser pick instead of Dubnyk + 1st.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
A UFA centre, and a back-up goalie, better than quality #1 goaltender insurance?

:laugh: You are preaching to the wrong choir. This will only end in you heading back to your boards to complain how awful we all are here.

*and by complain, I mean poke fun at our fan base.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There's your problem. U refuse to realize that bozak+scrivens is much better than the garbage you will receive this summer.

No, actually I'm a realist. I fully recognize that we will get worse assets than Bozak and Scrivens this summer. Your problem is that you don't bother reading people's posts and just keep repeating yourself.
I've been very consistent in saying since the summer that we should only trade Luongo if it improves our team.
We're in a dog fight for a playoff spot. Do we have a better chance of winning with Scrivens as our backup or Luongo. Both will play some games. In the playoffs our goal should be to go on a good run. Our backup will play some games if that happens. Who do I want in that situation? Luongo or Scrivens.
And should Schneider get hurt would I want Luongo or Scrivens.
We may still get bounced in the first round. Only one team wins the cup. But I want the team that gives us the best chance to win the cup. I could care less if we lost out on marginal rentals like Bozak or Scrivens. And while I care about Luongo's feelings I think he'll be fine once he gets to a new team.
I don't know how I can be any clearer. We passed up garbage and we'll likely get worse garbage in the summer. I'm not upset by that at all.

LolClarkson*

I don't really care about moving Luo to Edmonton.

They're going to be a nightmare anyway, and are likely the ones who would pay the most. I don't really want Dubnyk but I'd entertain more of a Hemsky + lesser pick instead of Dubnyk + 1st.

This brings back the point that some things are worth more to one team and less to another. Young skill forwards are a dime a dozen in Edmonton, but a # 1 goalie or a top D man is gold.

Oilers fans are smarter then Leafs fans..

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Steve Mason is rumoured to be signing an extension with the Flyers, no chance Luongo goes to Philly (it was a pipe dream to begin with imo).

With Tampa just making a move for Bishop, and Florida regressing big time this year and having Markstrom in the wings, the only destination is Toronto. Who wants us to retain salary.

Some may still hold out hope for Washington, but to me the fact that they traded for a decent player in Erat and not Luongo speaks volumes.

He's being bought out this summer, and every GM except Gillis knows it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You're kidding, right?

At the time when he was moved to Vancouver, Luongo was one of the best goalies in the NHL, right in his prime. Now, he's a #2 starter who is 34 and has a contract that lasts until he is well in to his 40's.

Do you see the difference?

No, I don't. Is Luongo no longer a #1? If he plays behind a starter of equal ability, how does that diminish his own ability?

It makes no sense for ANY team to take this on unless the price is right - and in this case, Gillis is too stubborn to realize how low that price actually is.

As for the lot of you thinking the Leafs fan base is now erecting statues of Dave Nonis for not getting Luongo, this is completely false. All we want is to see what we've got. That's it. The Leafs are still rebuilding - still finding where improvement is necessary. Still figuring out if the recent success is a fluke or is here to stay.

Getting stuck with that asinine contract could be a poor decision, and Nonis is getting praise for being able to look a few years down the road - that's it.

Gillis being stubborn, or being rumoured to have gifted TOR Lu for 2nds and Scrivens? Which is it?

Nonis and co. were never serious about getting Luongo. Gift or otherwise. That's going to be on Nonis's legacy. Personally, I don't fault them for passing because they should see where Reimer is. But then I don't see how you can turn around and say Gillis was stubborn. Either they refused the gift, or Gillis is too stubborn. Can't have it both ways.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Steve Mason is rumoured to be signing an extension with the Flyers, no chance Luongo goes to Philly (it was a pipe dream to begin with imo).

With Tampa just making a move for Bishop, and Florida regressing big time this year and having Markstrom in the wings, the only destination is Toronto. Who wants us to retain salary.

Some may still hold out hope for Washington, but to me the fact that they traded for a decent player in Erat and not Luongo speaks volumes.

Hahahaha oh man. Holmgren is dumber than I thought. What was Mason's last good year, 2008?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Steve Mason is rumoured to be signing an extension with the Flyers, no chance Luongo goes to Philly (it was a pipe dream to begin with imo).With Tampa just making a move for Bishop, and Florida regressing big time this year and having Markstrom in the wings, the only destination is Toronto. Who wants us to retain salary.

I don't see how Steve Mason signing an extension impacts Luongo going to Philly at all. Clearly Mason is being signed as a backup.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
If you are happy with that vanwest, then more power to you. I think most would rather have the assets than an insurance policy

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
At this point I'm all for looking at the highest offers regardless of intraconference or not. If the Oilers want to pony up the most assets for Luongo and he waives to go there, I say why not. We we want to win a cup and other teams around us are going to get better, so we're going to have to go through them anyhow. Besides, you never know if Luongo will stone us like Quick did, or if he'll Rinne on us.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
A UFA centre, and a back-up goalie, better than quality #1 goaltender insurance?
+1

If Bozak was a decent defensive center - which I doubt given that Grabs likely gets the "tough minutes" in Toronto (even though he's a better offensive center than Bozak) I might feel different.

I'd rather have a quality #1 goalie insurance instead of a depth center (who's not that great as a #2 or a #3) and a backup goalie. Don't care if we have to take a far worse package in the off-season. With the addition of Roy, I'm feel even more stronger on this issue.

I think most would rather have the assets than an insurance policy
Given that this is Schneider 1st season given the #1 role for any meaningful amount of time - I'd want a better insurance policy than another unproven backup goalie.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If you are happy with that vanwest, then more power to you. I think most would rather have the assets than an insurance policy

Depends on the assets. If they are futures, then I'm taking the insurance policy. (barring multiple 1sts or blue chippers)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Depends on the assets. If they are futures, then I'm taking the insurance policy.

Futures in the summer, help for right now. The 5M in space isn't going to help us now unless we'd have managed to find a player to fill it, which we couldn't. So Luongo > Scrivens and we'll revisit in the summertime.

I don't get why this is so complex to some people.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

You think most would have rather had Scrivens and Bozak than Luongo?
I doubt that very much. Luongo's not just an insurance policy. He's a better back up than Scrivens is. The difference could be huge for us. Essentially you're saying that most would prefer Scrivens over Luongo which is clearly wrong. Then throw in Bozak. we're pretty much set at center so I don't see the fit.
I think you're just looking to make this out to be a bigger deal than it is. People love drama. I get that.
But only on HF Boards is it a fiasco when a team misses out on a marginal backup and a player like Tyler Bozak and gets to keep a great goalie like Luongo. You need to come up with a rational argument why those players give us a better chance to win the cup instead of just wringing your hands with doom and gloom. I'm all ears. :)

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Luongo, Canucks mired in lose-lose situation

I apologize if this is elsewhere, but I just read this and didn't see it mentioned:

Luongo, Canucks mired in lose-lose situation

If Luongo is serious about escaping his contract, he can withhold services, which would allow the Canucks to terminate the deal. But the team would first have to place him on waivers, meaning Luongo would have no input on where he plays and could be claimed for a fee of $125.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+mired+lose+lose+situation/8190691/story.html

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
oiler fan here who sometimes comes in peace

Let me toss this idea out at you

There are some strong rumblings that the oilers put an offer in for Luongo--but Gillis' worse case nightmare is to see Luongo playing net behind the kids the oilers have. Not so much this year, but next year when the Oilers, Nucks, Flames, kings, Sharks, Ducks and Coyotes.

here is how the standings would look if that was the division this year
Ducks 55
Sharks 44
Nucks 44
Kings 43
Oilers 39
Phoenix 35
Calgary 30

something to ponder--the oilers have lost 7 games by 1 goal--with Luongo in net, I think the oilers get the win in 4 out of those 7 games and that gives them 43pts--

What would this board reaction be in the oilers trade Dubnyk and their first rounder in 2014 for Luongo -- how do you guys react-knowing full well that Luongo makes the oilers that much better.

I think there are trades out there, but there scare Gillis because the canucks could be facing Luongo 5 or more times a year and a team they are battling now and especially in the future could cause the cancuks more harm then good for trading Luongo.

The one thing that has happened. Luongo has come out of this looking like an honest professional and looking like he is a good guy in the room--that will help the marlet

okay--attack

After eliminating empty net goals the Oilers have an 8-3-6 record (.647) in 1 goal games. That's already way too high given their record in other games (8-10-1). Luongo wouldn't be able to maintain that record in 1 goal games going forward let along improving on it by 4 more wins.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Panthers are owned by a parent company who also owns the arena. They make their money on the arena events, then use the Panthers to fill in other dates and their losses on running Panthers are then deducted. It's a bit more complicated than that but basically Panthers aren't losing money anywhere but on the books.

I've heard this too. But any sane business man will never be happy with one sector of his business failing and losing money. If there's a chance to reduce the losses (Luongo or otherwise) I'm sure they'd look into it. That's my only point really.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Can we stop with the Luongo threads? There must be a half dozen active Luongo threads on this forum.

We have a 1a goaltender (Schneider) and a 1b goaltender (Luongo). No starter, no backup. Schneider had a solid streak where he put up Vezina worthy numbers and unfortunately for Luongo it meant he had to tweet from the bench.

This obsession about the matter by fans from other teams is absolutely ridiculous.

LolClarkson*

How many times has TB tried this ?

Bishop will not do any better there then Marc Denis or Mike Smith.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Not overly happy with this saga continuing, but it is what it is.

The way I read the situation Luongo had interested parties last draft but they weren't his preferred destination so Gillis didn't bother pursuing a deal. No need to ask Luongo to waive his NTC because Gillis didn't waste time working on a deal that wasn't to Luongo's preferred destination...imo Gillis did this out of respect for Luongo. If Luongo can be taken at face value, he would have waived if Gillis had worked out a deal, but Gillis chose to work within the confines of Luongo's preferences.

When nothing happened at the draft or early in the season in Florida, some second-best options were included. Gillis still wanted to make this year's team better in the deal but at the end accepted it wouldn't happen and--for Lu's sake--was willing to take a deal that was 100% futures. TOR still wouldn't bite (imo good call by Nonis) and here we are.

Now we know that at the draft Gillis will be completely satisfied with the best package of picks. Luongo's preferences will have shifted from the geographic to just being wanted, which hopefully brings more teams to the table. I do think there will be a team willing to move a couple of picks for Luongo in the summer and don't think we'll need to waive him.

As for the leak, are we really sure it came from the Nonis camp? Why would he leak that, he's left himself open to some serious second guessing not giving up two 2nds for Luongo. Seems more likely to me that the leak came from the Gillis camp...and how better to insulate yourself than leak it to Nonis's cousin?

This leak does two things that benefit Gillis: 1, it shows he wasn't holding Luongo hostage, wasn't demanding some ridiculous y2k type returns, and did everything he could to appease Luongo (get him a starting position in a market he prefers). 2, it puts Luongo in his place going into the summer (don't mean that harshly). Luongo won't need to be asked to waive his NTC this summer because he'll be doing it voluntarily. As soon as the season ends, we can expect a Luongo on TV saying "I just want to start for a team that wants me, I don't care where it is."

Hard to really feel anyone is at fault in this situation. If anything, maybe Luongo's ego had him thinking certain teams would absolutely come get him if he was available but obviously that's not the case. Now we have an expensive but talented insurance option in goal that hopefully we'll have no need of.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
How many times has TB tried this ?

Bishop will not do any better there then Marc Denis or Mike Smith.

They have tried this for a while, and failed. But clearly they haven't learned from their mistakes as they went out and got Bishop - for a king's ransom no less.

Regardless of whether it's stupid for them or not, it excludes them from a Luongo trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad