Injury Report: The lottery thread of misery and doom! 2023 edition

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
If we are going total free market though we also need at will employment. Would be interesting to see teams be able to drop underperformers even mid season so we don't get stuck with the Abby's, and Neilsons.

I am not totally against the idea of no draft, would be nice to see the youngsters be able to cash in, they are only 1 injury away from having realized only like 2% of their lifetime earning potential in the current system. Like Jiri Fischer
I am. I am majorly against no draft.

It fundamentally would change the league in ways that I don’t know whether the league could still exist.

You can’t go completely “free-market” with this because by the nature of sports, they enjoy anti-trust protections that exist because of how they are structured. Doing something like this would toss that into jeopardy.

Also… you’re talking about a dozen players or so that anyone is freaking out about in any given year. The lottery really centers around that top 3. And once you start getting to 6 and below, guys start having more noticeable flaws and you’re drafting them hoping you can work out that kink and get the high end piece you want.

End of the day, you just need to make sure that you’re spending your money wisely on your amateur and pro scouts. I can guarantee you that there will be some player out of the 2nd,3rd, or 4th round this draft that would be in a top ten of a redraft in a couple years.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You can't get rid of the draft. That is how all the top end players end up in only the top 5-10 markets. If they can just pick willy nilly, the bottom 10-15 or so teams, would never get anyone but castoffs that didn't work out elsewhere.
Not that I agree with abolishing the draft, but isn't that the whole point of the salary cap and floor? So players don't all wind up in the top markets like the pre-cap era?

BTW, Detroit is one of those markets.... remember the Wings were #3 in team salary behind NYR and Toronto. No draft would favor the WIngs.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not that I agree with abolishing the draft, but isn't that the whole point of the salary cap and floor? So players don't all wind up in the top markets like the pre-cap era?

BTW, Detroit is one of those markets.... remember the Wings were #3 in team salary behind NYR and Toronto. No draft would favor the WIngs.
Players wanted to go to Detroit because they were good. Not sure how big of a draw the city itself is now that the Wings aren't good.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Cap and floor are for cost certainty.

It’s more that the small market teams were starting to struggle to ice teams.

Bobby Holik was making 9M in 2002 dollars or the equivalent of a 15M contract now.

Players wanted to go to Detroit because they were good. Not sure how big of a draw the city itself is now that the Wings aren't good.

Also… Chris I is not Mr. I.

Whereas I think the consternation about Chris is overblown… he certainly is tighter on the purse strings than his old man is. The Wings when they were good also were quite free with the big dollar agreements

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
You can't get rid of the draft. That is how all the top end players end up in only the top 5-10 markets. If they can just pick willy nilly, the bottom 10-15 or so teams, would never get anyone but castoffs that didn't work out elsewhere.

I will say this, if it is indeed going to take that much longer, than we should trade Larkin right now!

Hear me out. It won't work that way. Why? Because of the cap.

The cap space, generally speaking aligns with the total points.

Only 4 teams have over 8 million in cap space. Detroit is the $8M team. They couldn't afford Bedard. Ducks, Yotes and Sabres have the room. All bottom feeders. They spend big for two years and they move out of contention for the top pick. This also ends teams like the Oilers who would of had to SIGN all of those top picks so they couldn't be perennial top 3 lotto winners.

If we are going total free market though we also need at will employment. Would be interesting to see teams be able to drop underperformers even mid season so we don't get stuck with the Abby's, and Neilsons.

I am not totally against the idea of no draft, would be nice to see the youngsters be able to cash in, they are only 1 injury away from having realized only like 2% of their lifetime earning potential in the current system. Like Jiri Fischer

A contract is still free market. If you sign Abby for 4 years or Kovachuk for 12 or or or... you eat it. They have to keep the cap or, as said, you'll end up with the pre cap big market teams hoarding all the talent.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hear me out. It won't work that way. Why? Because of the cap.

The cap space, generally speaking aligns with the total points.

Only 4 teams have over 8 million in cap space. Detroit is the $8M team. They couldn't afford Bedard. Ducks, Yotes and Sabres have the room. All bottom feeders. They spend big for two years and they move out of contention for the top pick. This also ends teams like the Oilers who would of had to SIGN all of those top picks so they couldn't be perennial top 3 lotto winners.

A contract is still free market. If you sign Abby for 4 years or Kovachuk for 12 or or or... you eat it. They have to keep the cap or, as said, you'll end up with the pre cap big market teams hoarding all the talent.

But then you get Bedard, Fantilli AND Carlsson all on ELCs deciding to play with Crosby.

Reactions: Retire91

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
But then you get Bedard, Fantilli AND Carlsson all on ELCs deciding to play with Crosby.

I shold have clarified this with more explicitly but the ELC also goes away. I did say you can sign Bedard to an 8 year deal 2 $12M. I meant at time of draft. I linked the capfriendly outline. It closely mirrors the bottom 5 rankings. If you get rid of ELC you also get rid of RFA.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Ducks going to be so strong for next 15 or so years, unfair for others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad