Speculation: The looming glut of D-men-Who stays,plays,sits or goes

major major

Feb 18, 2013
First of all, Savard is not optional. That guy is as "in" as any other d-man we have.

Second, Murray is still probably a ways away, so there'll be other injuries and changes in play going on by the time he returns.

But if we have to pick two, I'd echo demoting Golo and trading Erixon for a pick ( I think we get a 2nd or 3rd for him, anything less and we should keep him). Prout has been playing better, and being RHD he is harder to replace, even if Heatherington arrives. Most teams in the league have more of a shortage on the left side so those RHD are harder to acquire (a rare exception being Winnipeg with Buff, Bogo, and Trouba, all being very good RHD).

Perhaps:

JJ - Savard
Connauton - Wiz
Tyutin - Prout
Murray/Leopold

Once Murray is up to speed he can pass more guys in the lineup.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Erixon is a 23 year old former #1 pick with 6 points in 19 games who just happens to be in the richard's dog house and he's only worth a mid round pick?

Its not like he's played poorly or is considered a bust by any means. He just hasn't been given much of a chance even though they valued him enough to give hm a 1 way deal and Goloubef a 2 way.

If he's traded for only that I think somebody is going to get a steal.

I agree. We're still pretty banged up at Forward ( add Hartnell to the list for 2 weeks ) so I'd rather see Erixon traded for a quality NHL forward.
Trading him for a garbage mid or late pick will look foolish in a year or two, or maybe even less. Erixon has all the potential in the world, and all the tools to be a productive offensive defenseman, so if we trade him, we need to get something for him, or else we get someone's garbage again ( which I'm sick of ).

So yeah, trade Erixon while he's valuable. Send down Golo. Let Murray fully recover.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
First of all, Savard is not optional. That guy is as "in" as any other d-man we have.

Second, Murray is still probably a ways away, so there'll be other injuries and changes in play going on by the time he returns.

But if we have to pick two, I'd echo demoting Golo and trading Erixon for a pick ( I think we get a 2nd or 3rd for him, anything less and we should keep him). Prout has been playing better, and being RHD he is harder to replace, even if Heatherington arrives. Most teams in the league have more of a shortage on the left side so those RHD are harder to acquire (a rare exception being Winnipeg with Buff, Bogo, and Trouba, all being very good RHD).

Perhaps:

JJ - Savard
Connauton - Wiz
Tyutin - Prout
Murray/Leopold

Once Murray is up to speed he can pass more guys in the lineup.

Once Tyuts is ready to go, I'd sit Prout and go with Leo.

JJ- Savard
Tyutin - Wiz
Cotton - Leopold

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I guess 1/10 if the D situation is covered now.

Now what gets done between Connauton, Leopold, and Goloubef?

Tyutin will probably be back within a week and Murray is still probably a couple of weeks away as a best guess. I still think they need to carry more than 1 extra forward with the amount of injuries. If that's the case, somebody else still need to be moved. I still think they try to clear Goloubef through waivers and keep him in Springfield.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Tyutin will probably be back within a week and Murray is still probably a couple of weeks away as a best guess. I still think they need to carry more than 1 extra forward with the amount of injuries. If that's the case, somebody else still need to be moved. I still think they try to clear Goloubef through waivers and keep him in Springfield.

Golo has cleared several times - I think he does again.

I think we keep 8 d-men. There is a lot more flexibility in yo-yoing F's.

Leopold could go at the deadline if we're not in the race. Or even if we are if Murray is back and at full strength.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Yeah, I think Golo goes through waivers. Maybe Leopold goes at the trade deadline if we're out of it.

thebus2288*

What current CBJ defenseman would you guys be willing to trade that could possibly return a "top 6" forward?

"Healthy"(should be): Savard-Johnson/ Tyutin-Cannauton/ Murray-Prout or Leopold

Current(should be): Savard-Johnson/ Prout-Cannauton/ Wisniewski-Leopold

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
What current CBJ defenseman would you guys be willing to trade that could possibly return a "top 6" forward?

2 weeks ago, JJ for sure. But he's changing my mind lately.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

I feel like healthy should be more Savard Johnson/ Murray Tyutim / Wisniewski Leopold

Wiz offense and help on pp are needed but if not wiz and a 2015 second or another player could for sure get a top 6 winger

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I feel like healthy should be more Savard Johnson/ Murray Tyutim / Wisniewski Leopold

Wiz offense and help on pp are needed but if not wiz and a 2015 second or another player could for sure get a top 6 winger

, . ? !

You are welcome. :nod:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We have a lot of money wrapped up in three defenseman and I would love to be able to trade one. I know there are many varying thoughts on this and if one agrees, which of the three? Some would say trade none.

The durability question with Murray is a huge concern. He has top level skills but it's meaningless he's not on the ice. This makes this whole situation more difficult. I am satisfied with Savard and would keep Leopold and Connauton to round out the group with Prout as the seventh. But I am left struggling to decide which of the three should be traded......or might the move be to trade Murray who might generate the best return?

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Wiz after this year we only owe $8 million to Wiz. You can't find a guy on the FA market or via trade who will provide his offensive numbers at that amount.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We have a lot of money wrapped up in three defenseman and I would love to be able to trade one. I know there are many varying thoughts on this and if one agrees, which of the three? Some would say trade none.

The durability question with Murray is a huge concern. He has top level skills but it's meaningless he's not on the ice. This makes this whole situation more difficult. I am satisfied with Savard and would keep Leopold and Connauton to round out the group with Prout as the seventh. But I am left struggling to decide which of the three should be traded......or might the move be to trade Murray who might generate the best return?

I'm not inclined to trade any of them right now, until we see Murray restored. Even then it's not that much money. $14m for your top three D is probably just a bit over the average.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not inclined to trade any of them right now, until we see Murray restored. Even then it's not that much money. $14m for your top three D is probably just a bit over the average.
Montreal: 19.35m
Washington: 17.34m
Pittsburgh: 16.25m
St. Louis: 16.15m
Florida: 15.726m
Chicago: 15.438m
Philadelphia: 14.75m (nominally should be over 15m, but that includes Pronger)
Arizona: 14.75m
New York: 14.7m
Tampa Bay: 14.6m
Columbus: 14.357m
Nashville: 14.357m
Toronto: 14.35m
Los Angeles: 14.166m
Vancouver: 14.1m
Buffalo: 13.525m
Winnipeg: 13.52m
Detroit: 13.25m
Calgary: 12.77m
Ottawa: 12.6m
Long Island: 11.97m
Boston: 11.8m
Edmonton: 11.8m
Minnesota: 11.705m (next year will be $15.7m)
Carolina: 11.48m
San Jose: 11.26m (next year will be $13.81m)
Anaheim: 11.166m
Colorado: 10.6m
Dallas: 10.11m
New Jersey: $9.166m (next year will be $11.166m)

Mean: $13.57m

Or, IOW, "yep" :)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Viqsi.....I didn't pull over your quote just because of the length, but thanks for posting these stats. It was very helpful in adding context and a baseline.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Still might have to make one more move, or expose Goloubef or Prout to waivers. Tyutin will be back this week - so I guess Prout or Connauton sit. Goloubef is about a week away, but I don't know if he slots in over anybody currently playing. So the team would be carrying 8 D at that point.

The kicker is if Murray gets healthy and can come back. He's approaching Horton status in terms of writing this year off, but if he's back, well...good luck, Jarmo.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Still might have to make one more move, or expose Goloubef or Prout to waivers. Tyutin will be back this week - so I guess Prout or Connauton sit. Goloubef is about a week away, but I don't know if he slots in over anybody currently playing. So the team would be carrying 8 D at that point.

The kicker is if Murray gets healthy and can come back. He's approaching Horton status in terms of writing this year off, but if he's back, well...good luck, Jarmo.

IMO I don't see Murray back before the end of January. I have absolutely no medical back ground but I'd say about another 2-4 weeks of strengthening, and then 2-4 weeks of skating and getting back into game shape and making sure his knee can handle everything.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
murray's not practicing, but he's skating again...so we'll see where that leads...better than it was a month ago

major major

Feb 18, 2013

The way Connauton has been playing I wouldn't sit him. If Connauton and Prout don't cool off (I'm liking Prout's game now too) I'd sit Leo, or start a rotation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Golo on waivers (and hopefully cleared and assigned) is what I'd expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad