Speculation: The looming glut of D-men-Who stays,plays,sits or goes

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
With Tyutin being reported near ready and Murray skating, Golo re-habbing, Erixon wasting away and Connauton the new flavor of the month the Jackets will soon have 10 healthy D-men.

My guess is Erixon & Golo are the odd men out and we carry 8 D and 13 forwards with Cracknell heading somewhere.

The question is do you try and put Golo & Erixon through waivers?

Golo has cleared before and I don't see any reason he wouldn't again.

Erixon I think will get claimed. Same with KC if he is the one waived, which I highly doubt.

Do you let Leopold go hoping that Erixon can still develop into something valuable and that you'd rather keep youth over a much traveled veteran? Although Leopold has been solid imo while here.

Can a trade be worked out in the next few days before this becomes an issue?

Or do you keep Murray on IR until he is 110% healed and ready to go to postpone at least one decision?

Lots of possibilities.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Connauton is making it very hard to get rid of him with his play the past two games. I think Leopold has played well enough to stay as well.

I'm fine with sending Golo and Erixon through waivers although I agree - at least one of them will get claimed.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Leave Murray skating by himself until he is 110% healthy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If it comes down to Leopold versus Erixon, I think I'd actually trade Erixon. I'd wanted another experienced blueliner to help with the kids already, and he's fitting that role extremely well. My sole objection to that course of action is that there's a pack of Flames fans out there bound and determined to make sure no productive conversation about Erixon is ever allowed to happen. :p:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I really like what we have got out of Leopold and Connauton. I've never been impressed with Golo or Erixon and I think both have had enough time to grab a spot if they are going to. Erixon is the next Klesla, years and years will go by and people will still say "but he has so much potential if we are just patient with his development"

I wouldn't push Tyutin or Murray one bit, we are doing pretty good without them, so let's make sure they are absolutely healthy first, especially Murray

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Can we somehow get rid of Prout?

In all seriousness erixon is traded and golo is sent down… feel like we will see erixon doing amazing on another team though

Prout was an absolute beast a few years ago, and seems to be inching towards being that again. I would not get rid of him, you don't find defensemen with his size often, he's the one I would let develop more, NOT Erixon and his soft play and awful chinstrap beard.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Given the rough parity I've seen at that position this season and last, I think it comes down to a contract/financial decision more than anything else. The top 4 imo are pretty well locked up (JJ, Wiz, Tyuts, and Murray), leaving imo 3 spots that I'm not convinced aren't up for grabs. My list in order of preference based on play this season and recent seasons goes like this:

Savard (when a guy steadily improves every season, you feel good about the validityof his success on the ice.)

Prout (I was so sold on him 3 years ago that I'm willing to overlook his rough start)

Erixon (Has really impresses me with his poise on the PP)

Golobef (Always liked his RH shot from the point, need to see alot more from him in his own end to be sold)

Connauton (its way too early for me to say his goal scoring is anything other than good luck and fortune)

Leopold (the oldest of the group and probably most expensive. Solid but nothing special)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This will never happen.

Thanks Jarmo. Our D is fine (not perfect)without him, there's absolutely no reason to rush him, JD and JK know that and won't rush a potential franchise player for the sake of one season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Golo probably gets sent down, Erixon traded for a mid to late pick.

Erixon is a 23 year old former #1 pick with 6 points in 19 games who just happens to be in the richard's dog house and he's only worth a mid round pick?

Its not like he's played poorly or is considered a bust by any means. He just hasn't been given much of a chance even though they valued him enough to give hm a 1 way deal and Goloubef a 2 way.

If he's traded for only that I think somebody is going to get a steal.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Erixon is a 23 year old former #1 pick with 6 points in 19 games who just happens to be in the richard's dog house and he's only worth a mid round pick?

Its not like he's played poorly or is considered a bust by any means. He just hasn't been given much of a chance even though they valued him enough to give hm a 1 way deal and Goloubef a 2 way.

If he's traded for only that I think somebody is going to get a steal.

I agree. If Erixon gets traded, I think he will go as part of a bigger deal, not just a pick. I also hope Murray does not get rushed in any way. Golo will get claimed if he is sent down.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Prout was an absolute beast a few years ago, and seems to be inching towards being that again. I would not get rid of him, you don't find defensemen with his size often, he's the one I would let develop more, NOT Erixon and his soft play and awful chinstrap beard.

You're the guy in your avi?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think Leopold is like Craig Rivet in terms of how long he'll be here.

I also think the situation is fairly straightforward. There are the guys you can't have out of the lineup, guys who have earned their time in the lineup, and then the others.

Guys who have to be in while they are healthy: Johnson, Wisniewski, Murray, and Tyutin.

Guys who deserve to be in at the moment given their play: Savard, Connauton, Leopold (?)

Others: Prout, Erixon, Goloubef

That means the lineup should be:
Johnson - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Connauton
Leopold
Erixon/Prout/Goloubef

I think we'll keep two guys up as healthy scratches and then either trade or waive the other two. Then again, that's assuming everyone is healthy which we all know isn't happening this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Leave Murray out until he's 100% and has multiple days of non-limited practices.

Waive/trade Goloubef. Not his fault, just got caught in numbers game. I like him alot, but he's not better than Connauton, Erixon, Prout, etc.

When Tyutin returns, keep 8 D. Probably scratch Connauton when he returns.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA

We have Heatherington in the pipeline, I have no problems letting Prout go.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Exactly. The only guy I want replacing Prout is Heatherington down the road, and to be completely truthful, I'd be kind of hoping Heatherington would replace one of the older guys...

I understand we all have different perspectives, but I really don't see what Prout's doing to deserve the hate right now. Rough start, but he's been solid for several weeks now.

As far as the glut goes, I'm hoping to slip one guy through waivers and trade another guy. I would really not want to lose two guys. Guess/hope is Erixon via trade and Goloubef sent down. I only pick Erixon because I believe he nets the best return. I see Connauton and Erixon as basically the same player, and there may be advantages to Connauton's contract (RFA in 2016 vs 2015 for Erixon). I picked Goloubef to send down because he's probably the easiest loss to recover, but nice to have if he slides through.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Exactly what I think will happen.

The reason I don't think that will happen is

I agree. If Erixon gets traded, I think he will go as part of a bigger deal, not just a pick. I also hope Murray does not get rushed in any way. Golo will get claimed if he is sent down.

There's an opportunity here, at least in terms of our assets, to get something out of this glut of d-men + Cam

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

The ONLY reason I wouldn't get rid of Prout is because defensemen take longer to mature. He could still be a gem someday (and not the Dayton kind).

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Exactly. The only guy I want replacing Prout is Heatherington down the road, and to be completely truthful, I'd be kind of hoping Heatherington would replace one of the older guys...

I understand we all have different perspectives, but I really don't see what Prout's doing to deserve the hate right now. Rough start, but he's been solid for several weeks now.

As far as the glut goes, I'm hoping to slip one guy through waivers and trade another guy. I would really not want to lose two guys. Guess/hope is Erixon via trade and Goloubef sent down. I only pick Erixon because I believe he nets the best return. I see Connauton and Erixon as basically the same player, and there may be advantages to Connauton's contract (RFA in 2016 vs 2015 for Erixon). I picked Goloubef to send down because he's probably the easiest loss to recover, but nice to have if he slides through.

It's early yet, but I could see Cannauton replacing Wiz in a year or two, he's got a cannon of a shot and can one time them and actually turn from backwards to forwards without stumbling, unlike Wiz, who lately has stopped and farted around with it and then shoots into feet/shin pads. to be fair to Wiz, he had a splint or something on his hand in the post game the other night so he's probably still hurting from the broken finger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad