Speculation: The looming glut of D-men-Who stays,plays,sits or goes

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The way Connauton has been playing I wouldn't sit him. If Connauton and Prout don't cool off (I'm liking Prout's game now too) I'd sit Leo, or start a rotation.

I think Leopold has been really steady. I know it wouldn't happen, but give Jack a night off or two if he goes back to his disinterested/crappy play.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I expect Golo to go through waivers, and then when Murray is healthy, provided no other injuries, that Leopold and Prout would be the scratches and probably rotate in and out with Connauton, though I think they have all played well as of late, better than Wiz, but we know Wiz isn't going to be a healthy scratch anytime soon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For at least the time being, Since there are only 6 active D on the roster now. If Tyutin gets activated tomorrow someone not waiver eligible will have to be sent down. I can only assume that would be Rychel. After that, someone will need to go on waivers as either a forward or a defenseman.

If they want to carry 8 d, then it would either be Gibbons, Tropp or Cracknell that goes. If they want to go 7 D then it would have to be Goloubef. Gibbons is on a 2 way deal. Tropp and Cracknell are both on 1 way deals and have a combined 2 points between them.

Looking at the roster, I think every forward is waiver eligible except Rychel and Chaput at the moment.

thebus2288*

It seems as if Wisniewski is the only guy who's cap hit "doesn't matter". Foligno wants 5.5? Hello free agency!! Frankly I think the internal cap stuff is bogus nowadays anyway. There we're MANY of you claiming that the team didn't spend to the cap and that there was a limit when we we're literally like top 5 in payroll what, 3 years ago? When your WORST defensemen makes the MOST it negatively affects the team. There's no math you can come up with to argue that.

And hello Quebec if there's still people that "worry" about how much money the owners spend.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wisniewski's cap hit doesn't really matter as we are unlikely going to be a cap crunched team in the near future. The real dollar amount does matter, but that is going down over time.

The one way in which Wisniewski's cap matters is that we can't afford to scratch him. Same goes for Johnson and Tyutin. Those guys, when healthy, are IN for cost and political reasons. They are largely shielded from reprisal for having a poor span of play. I would also put Murray in there due to his draft status and promise.

Savard is not in that group. Why? Because Savard being in has mostly to do with how he is playing. If he is playing well, as he currently is, then he is in. If, however, his play goes to crap, he would be in a similar situation to Prout. He doesn't carry the financial burden or have the expectation of a top pick coming along with him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wisniewski's cap hit doesn't really matter as we are unlikely going to be a cap crunched team in the near future. The real dollar amount does matter, but that is going down over time.

The one way in which Wisniewski's cap matters is that we can't afford to scratch him. Same goes for Johnson and Tyutin. Those guys, when healthy, are IN for cost and political reasons. They are largely shielded from reprisal for having a poor span of play. I would also put Murray in there due to his draft status and promise.

Savard is not in that group. Why? Because Savard being in has mostly to do with how he is playing. If he is playing well, as he currently is, then he is in. If, however, his play goes to crap, he would be in a similar situation to Prout. He doesn't carry the financial burden or have the expectation of a top pick coming along with him.

That is ridiculous,imo.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That is ridiculous,imo.

You can believe that who plays is based entirely on merit, but I don't.

There are certain players you play regardless of how well they play, and a lot of that has to do with their roles on the team and how much they make. Often, prestige and ego are directly reflected in their pay. We aren't going to scratch our highest paid defenseman.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It happens, but entirely because of prestige and ego protection, not cost. There's no cost reason why you wouldn't scratch someone. There's no "financial burden".

This. If veterans are scratched, the relationship between player and organization will crumble. Some vets are deserving of it (Umberger, Commodore).

One reason to put up with a vet making lots of mistakes is not being able to get value for them when they ask out.

Umby turning into Hartnell doesn't often happen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now that Leopold has taken over Erixon's spot in the press box and Golo is apparently up there too, with the way Connauton is playing who joins Leopold upstairs when Murray returns? I'm assuming Golo is waived or traded although I guess there is a chance Leopold could be moved as well.

I'd say Prout is the primary candidate to scratch unless some additional physicality is needed for a game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just shut Murray down...no sense in bringing him back if he isn't 100%

I think this is my preference also but I think if he is ready he'll want to play and I'm pretty sure the jackets will play him if he is medically cleared and he wants to go.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just shut Murray down...no sense in bringing him back if he isn't 100%

I'm leaning this way too but it's also bad for Murray to not play hockey for such long stretches. He's been on the shelf for most of his prime development years. He has to play and hope for the best.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's what it seems to me:
1) No one knows when Murray will be back.
2) They haven't decided exactly where Golo fits long-term but they like him.

So they'll hold off making any decision about any of them until it's absolutely necessary.

Here's another think I think:
3) Prout won't be one of the ones who sits.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now that Murray is back 2 questions arise:

Who sits tonight if he plays?

Who goes or do the Jackets keep 9 D?

1) I would guess that Prout sits against Tampa's speed.

2) The obvious answer is Leopold but someone has to want him in trade to go that route. Other option is waive him and send him down.
I don't see Jackets exposing Goolo to waivers at this point in the season.

I guess a third option is to keep 9 F's until they are sure Murray is 100%

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I don't know. I am really starting to believe that our D needs to be revamped. I think we have to many guys that are "offensive defense-men" and not enough "shut-down" guys.

Our D is not horrible, and really not even bad, but I think it needs some tweaking. In that regard, then some guys need to go.

Did that even make any sense?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know. I am really starting to believe that our D needs to be revamped. I think we have to many guys that are "offensive defense-men" and not enough "shut-down" guys.

Our D is not horrible, and really not even bad, but I think it needs some tweaking. In that regard, then some guys need to go.

Did that even make any sense?
I understand what you're getting at but am not convinced it's accurate. At least, not yet. I still believe that getting Murray back is going to help quite a lot.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It has to be Leopold or Goloubef, right?

I have to say though I wouldn't mind keeping Goloubef. I like the way our D is made up right now, good blend of experience and youth.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
They were "willing to listen" to offers for Jack last deadline - I assume they will do so again.

Well that is news to me. The only thing I remember is JK saying something along the lines of that thought was preposterous. Got a link for that one?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
They were "willing to listen" to offers for Jack last deadline - I assume they will do so again.

I, too, remember this. CBJ was linked with Boston in 'JJ trade talks' at deadline last season... Portzline and even Boston's beat writers reported it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->