The Lines When Datsyuk & Co. Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What do you think about Datsyuk with Larkin? He's worked well with Abby and Helm, and Larkin is basically an upgrade on both of them while still having similar characteristics. He can both pull and play the piano, essentially.

Maybe Abby-Z-Nyquist and Tatar-Dats-Larkin.

Go a step further

Z - Datsyuk - Larkin
Abby - Richards - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulkinnen/Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Jurco/Ferarro

Work Helm in over Miller/Jurco/Pulkinnen/Ferarro. Im just not sure who yet.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah maybe something around this might work.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Larkin-Datsyuk-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Richards-Sheahan
Miller-Glendening-Helm
Jurco-Ferraro

With Andersson waived and Mule put on LTIR should work for space.

Thats pretty sexy but not sure how Z will do long term at Center with his back.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
has there already been any comment by the coaching staff making it obvious Larkin will stay beyond his first 9 games (and Dats' comeback) ?

Dont think theres been any comment, But its almost impossible for him to be sent down.

You don't send a guy down who gets a point in every game and is more then point per game.

Even if he keeps it up, hes outproducing like half the roster.

And i guess he can jumpstart lines (pulu line)

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Dont think theres been any comment, But its almost impossible for him to be sent down.

You don't send a guy down who gets a point in every game and is more then point per game.

Even if he keeps it up, hes outproducing like half the roster.

And i guess he can jumpstart lines (pulu line)

The only occasion I remember seeing that is when the NYR sent Duclair back. He had 5 points in his first 7 games, but played 11 more with only an assist, then he got sent down.

In this case, there is no way Larkin is sent back down.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
has there already been any comment by the coaching staff making it obvious Larkin will stay beyond his first 9 games (and Dats' comeback) ?

There's no reason so send Larkin back after 9 games.
First off with Larkin coming for the NCAA instead of the OHL. The 9 game rule I believe doesn't affect Larkin.

And seeing that according to Ken Holland Mule is out indefinitely. He most likely goes on LTIR once Datsyuk gets back so there will still be an open spot needed.

Once Datsyuk gets back I could see Andersson going on waivers and if Detroit needs to move another player due to cap. Then I could see possibly Ferraro being the other one that could be placed on waivers.

I just can't see Holland sending Larkin down after the 9 game rule. Seeing that the way he's playing most likely Datsyuk wont be back until Mid-November according to Khan. So Pasha would be missing around 17 or 18 games if that happens either way I think Larkin is up to stay.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Some one should sticky a disclaimer on the main page. The 9 game rule absolutley applies to Larkin. His contract will slide if he plays less than 10 games.

That said, Ill be pissed if he is sent down. My concern is that he gets sent down after Pavel returns. That really would be a worst case scenario. His contract doesnt slide and he doesnt get NHL experience...

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Through 5 games Larkin has been indisputably or second best forward. There is no way he is getting sent down.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah maybe something around this might work.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Larkin-Datsyuk-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Richards-Sheahan
Miller-Glendening-Helm
Jurco-Ferraro

With Andersson waived and Mule put on LTIR should work for space.

:handclap:
1.Aby will improve Nyquist play
2.Dats with his defensive skills needs 2 very fast wingers
3 Pulu will set for slap shots
4. fast , hard working 4th line

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Datsyuk returned to practice today. What does that mean, 2 more weeks for his season to start?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Mid November. So ~3 weeks I guess?

Let's say mid november starts on the 10th. That's a tuesday game and they say heck it, let's wait for the weekend. We've got games on 13th, 14th and 16th. One of those would be my best guess. Maybe 14th so he doesn't play back-to-back nights right away.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
As much as I like Larkin+Z, I would just switch Dylan and Gus. We know Nyquist-Z-Abby works, and Larkin could replace Helm on the Datsyuk-Tatar line as the same element of speed with better hockey IQ and hands. Could be good.

Sounds good to me. Daytsuk and Larkin could end up having out of this world chemistry. Would be nice to give it a try

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Getting Pav back is going to be huge in general, but I'm thinking it's gonna really help get that anemic second PP unit going. Blash pretty much gave up on it all together towards the end of the last game. Should split Pav and Hank up like they did last year and run with two more or less equal units that can make something happen. Something like:

Nyquist-Z-Abby
Richards/Pulk-Green

Tats-Pav-Helm/Sheahan
Larkin-Kroner

Actual Thought*

Getting Pav back is going to be huge in general, but I'm thinking it's gonna really help get that anemic second PP unit going. Blash pretty much gave up on it all together towards the end of the last game. Should split Pav and Hank up like they did last year and run with two more or less equal units that can make something happen. Something like:

Nyquist-Z-Abby
Richards/Pulk-Green

Tats-Pav-Helm/Sheahan
Larkin-Kroner
I think you will probably see the same thing with Pav this year that you saw with Hank last year. With no real off season of healthy training. Lucky if he is anywhere near himself.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I know Z has looked fantastic basically carrying the team alone most nights, but he can't do that for a full season and still be near 100% for the playoffs. If we *can* reduce his workload by making him a winger, we should very much consider it. It should be our secondary option to have them each center their own line if we really really struggle with them together.

You can't tell me that with Richards, Sheahan, Helm, Larkin, Glendening, Andersson, we can't get together a set of 3 solid centers for the bottom 9. Unless several of them really start to suck it up we should be able to roll that.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What does everyone think of this?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Larkin
Tatar-Richards-Abdelkader/Larkin
Nyquist-Sheahan-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Helm (Helm & Luke can alternate at center and wing if need be)

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I think you will probably see the same thing with Pav this year that you saw with Hank last year. With no real off season of healthy training. Lucky if he is anywhere near himself.

You're probably right. Even when he's not been 100% in the past though, he still seems to manage to keep a PPG pace somehow. And even if he doesn't produce at that clip, Pav at 50% is still a huge addition.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know Z has looked fantastic basically carrying the team alone most nights, but he can't do that for a full season and still be near 100% for the playoffs. If we *can* reduce his workload by making him a winger, we should very much consider it. It should be our secondary option to have them each center their own line if we really really struggle with them together.

You can't tell me that with Richards, Sheahan, Helm, Larkin, Glendening, Andersson, we can't get together a set of 3 solid centers for the bottom 9. Unless several of them really start to suck it up we should be able to roll that.

We could reduce his workload by having four competent lines, though, too. Get Datsyuk back, and we could have our top3 centers all get around 17 minutes a night, give or take the situation within each particular game.

Also, with Z and D on different lines, it forces other teams to not focus on one of them so much. One of them should get an easier matchup from night to night.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I'd like to see D and Z separate but also together from time to time.

Z is doing well with Abby and Nyquist. Having Datsyuk in another line and having Larkin getting either 2nd W or 3rd centre definitely solidifies the lineup and the threat level in all 3 lines. If we want to increase possession, this is the way to go IMO. However, if want to look towards to the future maybe it is the right thing to give younger players more important roles.

things can change with how Richards respond, but he's been a total non factor so far and unless he proves otherwise, shouldnt put much faith in him.

it's too bad Blashill started his NHL head coaching gig without Dats avail. i'd have complained about coaching much less for sure.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abby
Tatar-Larkin-Sheahan
Nyquist-Richards-Pulkkinen
Jurco/Helm-Glendening-Helm/Miller

or possibly:

Tatar-Datsyuk-Jurco
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abby
Sheahan-Richards-Pulkkinen
Jurco/Helm-Glendening-Helm/Miller

I kinda like the spread on the second lineup more, and we have already established/proven chemistries with the Gus-Z-Abby line and Dats-Tatar duo, which Larkin would compliment nicely I reckon.

I really like Miller and he is a fantastic PK'er, but if our whole roster is healthy I'd give a nod to Helm and Jurco over him. Ideally make it an open competition between the three for the winger spots on the 4th line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad