The Lines When Datsyuk & Co. Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think all of this talk about what happens when Pavel and Helm return deserves it's own thread.

The first two lines are pretty easy. Third and fourth line are where I start to get confused. We have too many options at forward it seems. I'd probably roll with

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Larkin (too great to break up right now)
Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Sheahan-Richards-Pulkkinen/Franzen
Miller-Glendening- One of Helm, Franzen, Jurco, or Lando.
We also have Joker, who will probably be the first to be waived if it comes down to it.

On D
Kronwall - Green (I guess)
DDK- Quincey
Ericsson - Whoever is playing the best out of Kindl/XO/Smith.

As far as the forwards are concerned, someone is eventually going to have to go. Larkin is too good to send down to GR, IMO. At this point, I think Helm is the most expendable, (not counting Joker). He has speed, but no hands. Jurco and Pulks are kind of a question mark at this point since they're still kids. I see flashes of talent from both, but they have a lot to learn and improve on.

On D, we can afford to dump either Kindl or Smith. Q possibly walks next year (Just like Cleary:sarcasm:)

What are your thoughts, fellow Wings fans? Discuss.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think all of this talk about what happens when Pavel and Helm return deserves it's own thread.

The first two lines are pretty easy. Third and fourth line are where I start to get confused. We have too many options at forward it seems. I'd probably roll with

Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
We also have Joker, who will probably be the first to be waived if it comes down to it.

On D
DDK- Quincey

As far as the forwards are concerned, someone is eventually going to have to go. Larkin is too good to send down to GR, IMO. At this point, I think Helm is the most expendable, (not counting Joker). He has speed, but no hands. Jurco and Pulks are kind of a question mark at this point since they're still kids. I see flashes of talent from both, but they have a lot to learn and improve on.

On D, we can afford to dump either Kindl or Smith. Q possibly walks next year (Just like Cleary:sarcasm:)

This seems to be the way things are going.

Except probably DDK with Green and Ericsson with Kronwall.

I don't see why they'd break up a good thing like 8-40-71. It's been one of the hottest, if not the hottest line to start the season.

I think this team is one top 4 defenseman away from a deep run.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This seems to be the way things are going.

Except probably DDK with Green and Ericsson with Kronwall.

I don't see why they'd break up a good thing like 8-40-71. It's been one of the hottest, if not the hottest line to start the season.

I think this team is one top 4 defenseman away from a deep run.

That top line is hotter than Hell right now.
I agree with your last statement as well. So we just need to find a way to dump a couple of players in a trade for a D-man. Question is who do send packing and who do we trade for?

Any candidates available other than Big Buff, who has been discussed already. I don't really follow other teams that much besides maybe the Blues since I live in STL.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm in favor of keeping...

Abdelkader-Zetterberg

Tatar-Datsyuk

Miller-Glendening

... as the building points.

Then we have all kinds of options a far as filling in the blanks. It's really hard to argue against removing Larkin from the Z unit thus far. And if he continues to play as he is he's not going to be sent to GR. Nyquist is obviously another option. Franzen may have worked here in the past, but truthfully and sadly I cannot trust him in this type of role.

On the Datsyuk-Tatar unit, Helm was the 3rd member that made this line the best possession line in the NHL for much of last season. I know people don't like Helm as top 6, but that line was great when they were healthy last year. Larkin also seems like he could be a great fit here. Helm with hands right? Nyquist is interesting because you're adding another skill piece, but I don't think Tatar and Nyquist have worked well on a line together for a while now. Maybe Datsyuk is the center that can get them back in sync. Richards I also find interesting. I think he has the vision and IQ to mesh well with this unit, and being the 3rd member would be greatly beneficiary to him at this point in his career. Lastly I think Sheahan is an interesting idea on the wing. Big body who can be good on the boards and has good vision and shot at his disposal. Maybe playing with 13 and 21 full time would finally allow him to realize how good he can be (right Babs?)

Glendening should be our 4th line center (although he should be getting 3rd line minutes the games that he's taking out opposing top lines). Miller is his partner in crime and Ferraro nor Jurco have done anything to replace him in this role. Is Miller replaceable? Sure. But not by anybody on the roster in this particular role. Not Ferraro, not Jurco, not Pulkkinen, and not even Franzen.

Which brings us to the "3rd line," which is truly the 4th line many games and the most sheltered unit. Franzen, Pulkinnen, etc. They are the leftovers. They're still going to be centered by a decent player whether it's Sheahan or Richards, but they're the line that you hope to see put some points on the board in limited minutes without being a liability. Plus players would be ideal in this role.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Larkin-Z-Abby
Tatar-Dats-Sheahan or Jurco
Nyquist-Richards-Franzen
Miller-Glenny-Helm

3 scoring lines. One grindline.

We desperately need a better partner for Kronner. E just can't do it anymore. DDK &Green should be our 2nd pair. 3 of Q, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith need to go.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Larkin - Z - Abby
Tats - Dats - Helm
Nyquist - Sheahan - Richards
Miller - Glenny - Jurco

Would love to see Dats with tats and Nyquist but he needs someone to pull the piano, and Helm seems like the best candidate. This is also Assuming Franzen is injured. If no injuries before now and when Datsyuk returns, I would try and trade Pulkks in a package for a top 4 man. When injuries hit, we have more than enough depth in GR and would be nice to get a look at AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi and co.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist

On D
DDK- Quincey

I am sorry but why do you have dats with tats and nyquist? We all know this line is too small and needs a big body on it. Even Pavel would demand that. It simply doesn't work and we won't see that line combination.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I am sorry but why do you have dats with tats and nyquist? We all know this line is too small and needs a big body on it. Even Pavel would demand that. It simply doesn't work and we won't see that line combination.

Go to bed Mr. Babcock. Worry about your own team now.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
miller will not be in the lineup.

abdelkader - zetterberg - larkin
tatar - datsyuk - pulkkinen
franzen - richards - nyquist
helm - sheahan - glendening

miller - andersson - jurco

glendening and sheahan can rotate on draws according to side of the ice.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'm in favor of keeping...

Abdelkader-Zetterberg

Tatar-Datsyuk

Miller-Glendening

... as the building points.

Then we have all kinds of options a far as filling in the blanks. It's really hard to argue against removing Larkin from the Z unit thus far. And if he continues to play as he is he's not going to be sent to GR. Nyquist is obviously another option. Franzen may have worked here in the past, but truthfully and sadly I cannot trust him in this type of role.

On the Datsyuk-Tatar unit, Helm was the 3rd member that made this line the best possession line in the NHL for much of last season. I know people don't like Helm as top 6, but that line was great when they were healthy last year. Larkin also seems like he could be a great fit here. Helm with hands right? Nyquist is interesting because you're adding another skill piece, but I don't think Tatar and Nyquist have worked well on a line together for a while now. Maybe Datsyuk is the center that can get them back in sync. Richards I also find interesting. I think he has the vision and IQ to mesh well with this unit, and being the 3rd member would be greatly beneficiary to him at this point in his career. Lastly I think Sheahan is an interesting idea on the wing. Big body who can be good on the boards and has good vision and shot at his disposal. Maybe playing with 13 and 21 full time would finally allow him to realize how good he can be (right Babs?)

Glendening should be our 4th line center (although he should be getting 3rd line minutes the games that he's taking out opposing top lines). Miller is his partner in crime and Ferraro nor Jurco have done anything to replace him in this role. Is Miller replaceable? Sure. But not by anybody on the roster in this particular role. Not Ferraro, not Jurco, not Pulkkinen, and not even Franzen.

Which brings us to the "3rd line," which is truly the 4th line many games and the most sheltered unit. Franzen, Pulkinnen, etc. They are the leftovers. They're still going to be centered by a decent player whether it's Sheahan or Richards, but they're the line that you hope to see put some points on the board in limited minutes without being a liability. Plus players would be ideal in this role.

YES!

With his speed, Larkin can take on Helm's role but he also has a lot more skill. I also want Larkin to get ample playing time with both Datsyuk and Zetterberg to learn from each of them.

That said, I wouldn't breakup the 8-40-71 line as long as they're playing how they have so far.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Which means most likely that both Ferraro and Andersson will be waived UNLESS we trade someone. Theres no reason we cant rotate and sit players especially D/Z/Franzen to keep them fresh.

Both our superstars dont need to be playing 82 games to drag us over the play-off line so I wouldnt make them.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Abby/Z(Larkin)/Z(Larkin)
Helm/Dats/Tatar
Nyquist/Richards/Sheahan
Miller/Glendenning/Jurco

we could potentially have a 30 goal scorer on the 3rd line.. This is just stupid. y are we so stacked?

Kronner/Smith
Danny D/Green
whoever/whoever (want ouellet in there)

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I would role

Abdelkader/ Zetterberg/ Larkin
Tatar/ Datsyuk/ Helm (good line last year)
Frazen/ Richards /Nyquist
Miller/ Glendening/ Sheahan

EDIT: I forgot about Pulkenen~ what an insane log jam of forwards

At this point richards signing almost seems superfluous

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I would role

Abdelkader/ Zetterberg/ Larkin
Tatar/ Datsyuk/ Helm (good line last year)
Frazen/ Richards /Nyquist
Miller/ Glendening/ Sheahan

EDIT: I forgot about Pulkenen~ what an insane log jam of forwards

At this point richards signing almost seems superfluous

Mainly because of Tatar and Datsyuk. Detroit would be better off putting a better player there to take advantage of the sheer amount of puck control that those two generated together.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011

As we all know, especially as Detroit fans, Tampa's triplet line should be changed around because of size concerns.

One 5'7-5'8 guy and 2 5'11 guys. Recipe for pure disaster!

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
i have a hard time believing they will scratch miller

What does he bring to the table that other players don't bring? He only brings penalty killing and shot blocking. At least Glendening is good on face offs and has an elite goals against /60 (somehow)

Helm - Sheahan - Glendening is much better than Miller - Glendening - Helm at 5 on 5 and it is certainly not a huge loss if we lose one penalty killer. We have: Helm, Glendening, Sheahan, Abdelkader, and Larkin who kill penalties efficiently. Pulkkinen scores goals. Much more hard to replace than a penalty killer.

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
putting pulkkinen on the tatar and datsyuk line makes it even more scary than it was last year with helm. and remember when pulkkinen scored twice against carolina the other day with tatar and larkin? imagine tatar and datsyuk...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our forward group is almost stupid when we're all healthy. The question is, will we ever be? We'll see how Franzen is doing. Helm also seems to be having lingering concussions symptoms. Datsyuk is still maybe a 1 month away so plenty can happen before he's back.

Pulkkinen is kind of a questionmark for me. I think he's such a non-factor whenever he's not scoring. He had 2 goals against Carolina but I'd still say he's been maybe our worst forward so far. He really needs to find some way to be more of a factor. At this point Pulkkinen and Ferraro are at the bottom of the depth-chart for me. I'd like Jurco in, his physicality adds an element we don't have much of.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Our forward group is almost stupid when we're all healthy. The question is, will we ever be? We'll see how Franzen is doing. Helm also seems to be having lingering concussions symptoms. Datsyuk is still maybe a 1 month away so plenty can happen before he's back.

Pulkkinen is kind of a questionmark for me. I think he's such a non-factor whenever he's not scoring. He had 2 goals against Carolina but I'd still say he's been maybe our worst forward so far. He really needs to find some way to be more of a factor. At this point Pulkkinen and Ferraro are at the bottom of the depth-chart for me. I'd like Jurco in, his physicality adds an element we don't have much of.

I think Pulkinnen has been pretty good away from the puck to start the year actually. He still doesn't get off his shot often enough as he's adapting to the NHL speed IMO, but he looks solid. I think he's a guy that needs to play in a very offensive role with certain types of line mates to make a big impact. I definitely think it would be a mistake to sell "low" on him now as I think his value will increase with playing time/adjustments to the pace.!

I'd try:

Franzen Z Nyquist
Abby Datsyuk Pulkinnen
Sheahan Larkin Tatar
Jurco Glendening Helm

or

Larkin Z Abby
Jurco Datsyuk Tatar
Nyquist Sheahan Pulu
Miller Glendening Helm

So scratches being some combination of Richards (even though I think he's been solid), Franzen (same), Joker, Ferraro...

It's apparent a trade will need to be made at some point if Holland doesn't want to risk losing assets for nothing...but it's probably a bit early as Holland probably loves the excessive depth. I see it as a serious health insurance policy for the team. But at some point you're going to have frustrated/disgruntled players who feel they should be playing (and would were it not for the logjam) and guys exposed to waivers. We have forwards close to ready in GR if needed, upgrade the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad