Series Discussion: The less important playoff series' (non-Caps ones) Part the Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't agree with it, but I see the rationale.

Carolina 2006 is seen as a 'random' cup winner. If St. Louis wins this might be seen as a random cup winner era where weak teams all won.

If Boston wins, it could be seen that our win was interrupting the dominance of teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston etc.

Again, I don't agree with this but I understand what he's trying to say.

I agree in the sense "random before the season stared". But before the playoff started, Carolina that year had 112 points which was 3rd best in the east and tied for 3rd best in the entire NHL.

This season, St. Louis was one of the top 4 teams since Jan 1st (along with TBL, BOS and CAR). If they can do that, as well as win 4 rounds of the playoffs, it doesn't cheapen their win and by no means detracts from what the Caps did last year.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
St Louis must be kept out of the Cup club. It makes us all that more special. Look how many Cups have the Pens won and how many times did they dash our hopes in the playoffs, and their fans were STILL heartless and wanted us never to win a Cup. I met a Pens fan the other day, and he told me he actually went through a bout of depression when we won the Cup last year. Talk about a desire to oppress.

We need to have the same attitude towards St Louis, Vancouver and Buffalo (and to some extent, the Leafs). The longer it takes them to win a Cup, the better. It makes our accomplishment all the more special.

Reactions: capsdom86

Jun 15, 2007
St Louis must be kept out of the Cup club. It makes us all that more special. Look how many Cups have the Pens won and how many times did they dash our hopes in the playoffs, and their fans were STILL heartless and wanted us never to win a Cup. I met a Pens fan the other day, and he told me he actually went through a bout of depression when we won the Cup last year. Talk about a desire to oppress.

We need to have the same attitude towards St Louis, Vancouver and Buffalo (and to some extent, the Leafs). The longer it takes them to win a Cup, the better. It makes our accomplishment all the more special.

Okay I thought I understood you but now I dont. Lmao what???

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA

You’d rather the Bruins win and get their 2nd cup in recent memory over our 1? I don’t. Same deal with Carolina.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

I don't know why you would waste so much energy harboring resentment and willing other's to failure. But I guess it takes all types.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

This is totally bonkers.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
What a boring 2nd round. & I can't see the rest of the playoffs being any better... maybe SJ-BOS will be interesting if it's not a total trap-fest.

Kind of amazing how the entertainment value of the NHL/NBA playoffs have both taken a complete 180 from their respective 1st rounds. Never thought I'd enjoy the NBA playoffs way more than NHL but here we are.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
What a boring 2nd round. & I can't see the rest of the playoffs being any better... maybe SJ-BOS will be interesting if it's not a total trap-fest.

Kind of amazing how the entertainment value of the NHL/NBA playoffs have both taken a complete 180 from their respective 1st rounds. Never thought I'd enjoy the NBA playoffs way more than NHL but here we are.

Uhhhh, the Blue-Stars series was back & forth for 7 games with the Blues winning in double OT in game 7. You must of missed it. NBA is a lot easier to watch. Just catch the last 5mins of game time for them to stretch it out for an hour. Ugh.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Heath and Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Blues and disco: It's all 'Gloria' after Game 7 win

Radio station 98.1 FM KYKY in St. Louis also played "Gloria" to celebrate the win, at around 12:15 a.m. local time.
Then it played it again. And again. And again.
For 24 hours, the adult contemporary station put aside Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift for a tune that hit the top of the charts before any of the current Blues players were born. It was a vow made by their morning show, "Courtney and Company," that if the Blues won this round, the station would go "Gloria" for a full day.

For people not very familiar with St.Louis and the Blues, their fan base and love for their hockey team is somewhat similar to ours. Years of heartache and disappointment, a feeling of an eventual meltdown its just a matter of when, and a core that is very diehard. The reaction to a cup will be very similar to ours last year. One of the reasons I'm pulling for them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
For people not very familiar with St.Louis and the Blues, their fan base and love for their hockey team is somewhat similar to ours. Years of heartache and disappointment, a feeling of an eventual meltdown its just a matter of when, and a core that is very diehard. The reaction to a cup will be very similar to ours last year. One of the reasons I'm pulling for them.

Lived outside of St Louis as a kid for a few years. Super blue collar.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Blues had trouble getting past the Blackhawks for years as well, similar to our sturggles with the Pens. I'm definitely pulling for them or the Sharks, they both deserve it. I'm still bitter towards Carolina and hate Boston.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Winner of the West is who I'll be rooting for. Two teams that haven't won a SC and due.

This. Not much to hate about Blues or Sharks, almost more feel sympathy for them being as how we were in their shoes for decades until last year. I'm glad that one of them will get a chance at their long awaited Cup.

In the East, for me it has to be the Canes. Hate Boston, the smugness of their sports fans and Marchand as a player. I'd like to see the Canes sweep the Bs or win in 5, just to show again that we gave them their biggest test and it was a game 7 double OT bounce that put them there instead of us.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Don't get this take at all. I want St Louis, then Vancouver, Buffalo, Sharks, Coyotes to all win a Cup and experience what we did before I want to see anyone else win their second (except us of course) . So no, I will not be going for the Bs or Canes to win this year, no chance.

Also, nothing anyone else does cheapens what we did or makes it less special. Nothing will take away the feeling of swimming in the fountains, or drinking beers through our shirts on the stage at the parade, or seeing Ovi take the Cup from Gary and just scream so loud with glee and relief. Nothing will erase what we did, or cheapen it. If it can't be us with that feeling this year, I want someone else to have it. Not just some team raising yet another banner that means very little to them over the decade of other banners (looking at you Boston for all your damn teams)

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Not for nothing, but our squad last year was special. Only the second team ever to be down in every series and win the Cup. We clinched every series on the road. That team beat Pittsburgh without key players Tom Wilson, Nicklas Backstrom for extended time. Going down 3-2 to Tampa and winning back to back on shutouts--amazing. That whole series winning game 5 against Vegas had moments I'll never forget. Ovi's PP goal from an UNBELIEVABLE pass from Backstrom. Vrana's break away goal. DSP falling down tying the game. John Carlson trying to fight the whole Knights team at the end of the 2nd period, and Eller's goal from BC and the celebration. Ovi skating with Backstrom with the Cup is an iconic moment. I get goosebumps thinking about it. I don't know how those memories among many others will be cheapened because the Blues win the Cup this year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

This is absurd.

Reactions: calicapsfan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I think the Sharks win it now

Hertl's Game 6 OT goal and the Game 7 win verses Vegas along with another Game 7 win in the 2nd round presents a good case the Sharks are destined to win it. St Louis had some epic and curse reversing heroics this playoffs too.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Don't get this take at all. I want St Louis, then Vancouver, Buffalo, Sharks, Coyotes to all win a Cup and experience what we did before I want to see anyone else win their second (except us of course) . So no, I will not be going for the Bs or Canes to win this year, no chance.

This is flat out communism. God are Caps Fans soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad