The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - May 12th, 2023

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Zelda has always been open world, its just 3D games between OoT and SS have mostly been hampered by technology and lack of technical know-how by Nintendo into being pretty segmented open world areas versus being truly open world.

BotW was a natural evolution of the series and a return to form, tbqh.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Zelda has always been open world, its just 3D games between OoT and SS have mostly been hampered by technology and lack of technical know-how by Nintendo into being pretty segmented open world areas versus being truly open world.

Good point. Even from the very first iteration, there's nothing stopping you from trucking off wherever you want right from the get-go. You might find enemies you can't beat or dungeons you can't access, but that doesn't mean you can't GO there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Longshot but I hope they add a combat difficulty on par with Dark Souls. Not in a damage sponge way or whatever that quick heal thing they tried on Master mode.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems official it's going to retail at 70 USD. I'll end up paying it, but a bit annoying. And, unlike other companies it's not like, oh, it's 70 at launch, I'll just wait a few months to get it at discount.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

I agree with the idea but I can't really see how any of the 2D games are more open world than Ocarina or Majora's, especially the latter iirc.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Are there any twitter follows who will alert Canadian users when the deluxe version is in stock?

Asking for my wife.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Are there any twitter follows who will alert Canadian users when the deluxe version is in stock?

Asking for my wife.

Follow Lbabinz on twitter and turn on notifications, they'll be flickering now since they've sold out.

Comes out to around $190 cad after everything

Reactions: WeThreeKings

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Going into official blackout mode to maximize my surprise going forward on this. Seeing some new enemies in the last trailer disappointed me as I would've preferred future me being surprised at stumbling across them.

Fully expecting loads of more surprises left to be revealed.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I agree with the idea but I can't really see how any of the 2D games are more open world than Ocarina or Majora's, especially the latter iirc.
In the original games, you could accidentally go into the wrong dungeons first and fight way stronger enemies, but also find stronger gear you were not meant to have yet to a far greater degree.

Levels 2 and 8 can basically played at any given time. Yes, you can play and beat the eight dungeon first, which sounds crazy, but you can try. Sometimes you needed the items in the dungeon, but you could leave without killing the boss after you got it.

Same in Zelda 2. in fact, most people who played Zelda 2 a lot as kids leave the 1st palace to very last because its so easy and since completing it grants you a free level up, its better to get the free level when experience needed to level is 6000 as opposed to 200 lol

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Forgot to mention but I bought that 2 games for 99 dollars voucher to bring down the cost of this game. Pre-ordered and picked up Splatoon 3 with it (after some trepidation and somewhat figuring out the controls it's basically the only game I play right now). Just throwing the option out there for anyone who doesn't want to pay a full 70 for it. You end up paying more but you get a whole second game.

As for the trailer.

These new systems make me cautiously optimistic that this game won't just be an expanded DLC. I'm not entirely sold on the sky islands but at least it's definitely new terrain to explore. Hoping the Hyrule "surface" landscape is significantly different and not just placing enemy camps in different spots. Also I really hope they do better with the dungeons. I liked the divine beasts to an extent in the sense that it felt closer to a classic dungeon but the issue is the mini dungeons were really just tech demos to show off their combat systems and gyro control capabilities. Some were pretty inventive puzzles while others were braindead inconveniences you had to slog through, while the worst of the bunch were shitty mini bosses that required little to no thought of effort to defeat.

But those new systems I mentioned look like absolute bangers. Especially fusing. At minimum it can cut down on the impact of weapon durability issues since weapon durability and breaking is confirmed to still be a thing. But it looks like there's some serious expansion of the sandbox possibilities of this game.

But, actually now that I think about it, the ascend mechanic could be too positive a QOL change. Still have to see how often you can abuse it but it does kind of streamline exploration and climbing a bit too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’m staying away from any info at this point as well. Unless someone hacks into my bank account and my Switch breaks there’s zero possibility I’m skipping out on TOTK.

Worst case it’s an expanded DLC to BOTW and it’s still worth $70 to me. I’m really excited to hop in.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I’m staying away from any info at this point as well. Unless someone hacks into my bank account and my Switch breaks there’s zero possibility I’m skipping out on TOTK.

Worst case it’s an expanded DLC to BOTW and it’s still worth $70 to me. I’m really excited to hop in.
What was shown is basically "amazing DLC" level. The game looks the same, the map is mostly the same and there are some pretty big changes for the mechanics.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Idk they worked on it for 5 years I’m sure there’s more to it than than what’s been shown so far

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Idk they worked on it for 5 years I’m sure there’s more to it than than what’s been shown so far
Japan has definitely been one of the most strict post-Covid countries out there solely now allowing tourists. Just because they've been working on it for five years doesn't mean they've been working on it in the same time frame as other gaming studios have been working on games for five years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
These new mechanics have the potential to be quite substantial depending on how much freedom you get.

Which fits with how BOTW was. Climbing on the surface seemed like such a basic mechanic to add to an open world game, but it radically changed how you approached and explored the map

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad