OT - NO POLITICS The Leaves,They Are a Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wonder which schooner it was? It is not the Heritage.

That is terrible :(
It was the Grace Bailey. We always see that schooner when we are out sailing... Their captain is friends with the captains on the Heritage.

One person died and three people were injured after a mast buckled and fell on the Grace Bailey schooner on Monday. The top of one of the 80-foot schooner’s two masts broke suddenly on Monday morning while the boat was off the Rockland Breakwater, according to the Courier-Gazette.

1696892824945.png

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The Grace Bailey

She is one of the older schooners. Built in NY in 1882.

The Grace Bailey is a beautiful schooner.

They think the mast broke due to wood rot. It never happens.

It is terrible.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
She is one of the older schooners. Built in NY in 1882.

The Grace Bailey is a beautiful schooner.

They think the mast broke due to wood rot. It never happens.

It is terrible.
Hard to imagine that on a ship that old and presumably well maintained that they could miss the mast having wood rot. Guessing there will be lawsuits.

Just an awful thing to happen.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hard to imagine that on a ship that old and presumably well maintained that they could miss the mast having wood rot. Guessing there will be lawsuits.

Just an awful thing to happen.
I know they all carry insurance. From what I just read this is very unusual. Actually, they are doing an investigation so they aren't saying for sure it was wood rot but the coast guard feels that is what probably happened.

The Schooner Heritage scrapes and revarnishes all wood to protect it from rainwater before every season.

It sails From June until the first week of Oct. It takes a couple of months to prep it for sail and the crew starts work in April. It takes a few weeks to prep it for winter too.

Funny that every morning they swab the wood decks with sea water which is actually good for the wood. It is rainwater that causes the rot. These are things I have learned over the years from sailing.

The Grace Bailey was maybe the oldest ship in the Windjammer Fleet. She is a beautiful schooner and I feel bad for all.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The largest of the Windjammer Fleet stopped sailing as it needed too much work for the owner to afford. It is a 3 mast schooner that carried 40 passengers. All of the schooners took financial hits during COVID.

I think it has been sitting in the Camden Harbor for months.

It is the Victory Chimes. Not sure what will be done with it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I mean I get it in principle, but how much are you saving by holding off a few extra days lol
Many people in New England are stubborn.

I had my heat at 60 and it came on, so I figured it was time.

It is true you get colder as you age. I purchased a small electric heater that I use in my living room when it is really cold. It helps keep the bill down for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad